News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone else want an external 3" drive box?

Started by zhulien, 00:36, 26 September 22

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

Hi  I have a gotek type drive in my 6128plus, but there are times I would want to use a 3" drive, just not every day.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an external box for the original 3" drive with psu if required.

Has anyone made such a case? Basically it would be a new version  of Amstrads FD-1.  Such a case could be made of metal or to keep weight down, 3d printed (with choice of 6128 gray or 6128plus white).

If someone wanted to take up that challenge perhaps make a 3.5" version also which have the same external physical dimensions do they can be nicely stacked - for easy possible multiple drives with a 4 drive mod.

Any thoughts?

Gryzor

The FD-1 is a beast, I guess it could be made smaller now? 

zhulien

Quote from: Gryzor on 03:43, 26 September 22The FD-1 is a beast, I guess it could be made smaller now?
definetly, likely not much larger than the actual drive if using an external PSU. 

Gryzor

What are the power requirements? I've got a couple of encased 3" drives and the case is just metal wrapped around the drive. I don't remember where they draw power from though, been ages since I used them. 

TotO

I know that two guys have already do that with a 3D printed enclosure. One named "Rodrik" selling it at the insane price of 130€ with a Gotek include (peoples buy  :laugh: ) ... @Kris has done an open design, but I don't find the link.

What I think about this kind of project is to embbed the power supply for the CPC, so you only have one "MP-FD" external "box" to power everything (just output +5V and +12V) on the back.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Kris

I did this one: 
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5416818

There are 2 versions: gotek or 3" floppy drive.

zhulien

Quote from: TotO on 09:08, 26 September 22I know that two guys have already do that with a 3D printed enclosure. One named "Rodrik" selling it at the insane price of 130€ with a Gotek include (peoples buy  :laugh: ) ... @Kris has done an open design, but I don't find the link.

What I think about this kind of project is to embbed the power supply for the CPC, so you only have one "MP-FD" external "box" to power everything (just output +5V and +12V) on the back.
That would definitely suit me, I have no CPC monitor and use 2 external PSUs for my 6128plus - one for the computer and one for the 2nd mx4 board.

I guess it makes sense to have such a single PSU / drive bay - good for 464 users too to put their dd1 replacement in.