News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Toki conversion for CPC [UPD: RELEASED]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 09:58, 11 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

LOOKS GREAT!

will there be a CPR version?

sunn

A CPR version or one that works with M4 would be sweet. But I used M4 to write a physical disk and this game is awesome.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: sunn on 12:43, 30 October 22A CPR version or one that works with M4 would be sweet. But I used M4 to write a physical disk and this game is awesome.
Cpr versión , des , or dandanator  yes its planned , i think , M4 i don't know.
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

merman

CraigsBar

In order of preference I'd vote for.....

1st: CPR
2nd: DES/Dandanator
3rd: 80 track DSK to save disc or disc image swapping on a 3.5inch drive or Gotek
4th: M4 compatible
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

DanyPPC

Sorry if I'm critical, I really appreciate the work behind this conversion, but in my opinion, the really low framerate and the gameplay plagued in part by this low framerate, needed more care.
Instead, in my opinion, the graphics had higher priority, resulting in some cases confused and stressful for the eyes.

Only my simple opinion, anyway many thanks for another arcade CPC conversion.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

reidrac

@DanyPPC It is a tricky one, TBH. I'm sure the authors appreciate the feedback but after all the work behind this project, I suspect they made some design decisions that may not work for everybody.

If this was released back in the day it would have been a smashing hit, but with modern sensibilities, I see that it may be a bit hard for some players. I like the graphic style, a lot, but I agree the frame rate needs some time to get used to it.

Could it have been done differently? There's a lot going on, and when you are doing a conversion you can't really design the game around the strengths and limitations of the system you're working on. So I wouldn't know how to do it, at least.

I would suggest that you give it some time. IMHO it may be one of those games that will grow on you after you give it a fair chance.

To the authors: well done, and thanks for a great game!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Carnivius

'really low framerate'?  Is it?  Seems quite good for a CPC port of a scrolling game.  Certainly didn't bother me, even right after playing some 60fps games on my PS5 (which should render many CPC games to feel like a slide-show in comparison).  Really solid conversion with changes made where necessary.  It's got relatively chunky scrolling but it moves a lot faster than many other CPC games that also scrolled the same sizes.  I'm having fun with it. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

norecess464

Congratulations to the whole GGP team for FINALLY releasing this amazing game !!

I can't wait to enjoy my Xmas vacations to try beating it.

Sure, I have some concerns here and there, but those appears to be only details to me.

The gameplay looks pretty well preserved, it feels and plays great, and in my opinion that's what really matters.

Bravo! Merci!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Cwiiis

I appreciate the work that's gone into this and it looks great, but it feels a bit off to me. Toki was already a very hard game and most of the changes in the first level serve only to make it even harder - married with the slightly clunky controls, it makes it more frustrating than it should be, in my humble opinion.

A few simple changes would make this much more playable, I think:
- Increase jump height
- Increase bounce height when jumping on enemies
- Reduce hit box to allow ducking projectiles and generally make hit detection a bit more generous
- Reduce enemy frequency slightly in the first level
- Reduce game speed slightly so the frame rate doesn't impact the controls quite so much and to reduce the chance of newly appearing enemies immediately hitting you

I do think there are some more core decisions that don't serve the gameplay, but that's not really something that could be tweaked now. The large sprites look great, but the play area is really a bit too small for them - the Lynx port of Toki is amazing, I think it could've served as good inspiration for a CPC port.

All that said, this is still a great production and would've been a massive hit if it was released back in the day!

Shaun M. Neary

OK my turn...

First off, history can be a very complicated thing. I absolutely *hated* this game in the arcade when it was released. I just couldn't relate to it. Why the fuck would I want to play a monkey or a gorilla or whatever? I was 13 so yeah... But I had to explain this game to the girlfriend and basically described it as Donkey Kong Country before Donkey Kong Country was Donkey Kong Country.

As a result, I couldn't have cared less when it came to the home market a year later.

So I saw video upon video upon video as this game became released and I was still unsure about it.

(ready for this?)

BOY WAS I WRONG!

I'm really enjoying this. I downloaded it earlier and I've been playing it on my trusty CPC6128. The playing area is a little small, but it didn't bother me back in the day and it's not bothering me now. The jump mechanic seems a little off kilter but that could be just me with a joystick I haven't used in a while (Quickshot Maverick, only controller I have with 2 buttons and no, I'm not using those awful GX joypads).

I don't know about a framerate drop, but this does play very nicely on real hardware, if not a real monitor.

My only major gripe is, the amount of unfair deaths at times! You could literally flick over to the next screen and unless you know your way around each level, you can be dead the second you see what's coming in certain places. That annoys me on all games though, not just this one.

But please PLEASE do not take my criticism as anything other than constructive. This conversion has not only made me want to stick at this game (made it to the end of the second level so far) but makes me want to check other versions like the Megadrive version, maybe even the arcade version. And it's up there with the likes of the Dinamic games of the 80s and early 90s for the Amstrad (and I mean that in a good way), and I would have loved to have been able to show this to mates back in the day if this had come out back in 1990.

Congrats to the team involved. I'm enjoying this one!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

XeNoMoRPH

Shaun M. Neary

Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Cwiiis on 09:21, 31 October 22- Increase jump height
- Reduce hit box to allow ducking projectiles and generally make hit detection a bit more generous
- Reduce game speed slightly so the frame rate doesn't impact the controls quite so much and to reduce the chance of newly appearing enemies immediately hitting you
Obviously what I'm about to say is a joke but...

... you were one of those guys who waited for an infinite everything poke in Amstrad Action weren't you? ;)

Cwiiis

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:52, 31 October 22

... you were one of those guys who waited for an infinite everything poke in Amstrad Action weren't you? ;)
hah, maybe I deserve that :)

I really recommend trying out the Atari Lynx version of Toki, definitely my favourite and very faithful to the arcade version... I'll be playing this CPC version some more, but it's a shame that it feels so much more unfair than other versions.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Cwiiis on 21:17, 31 October 22
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:52, 31 October 22

hah, maybe I deserve that :)
Nah man, I was just being giddy. Ask @Nich about this shit. A lot of people who complain that a game is too difficult I have a nasty tendency to respond with "You're not trying hard enough". ;)

But to be fair, your criticisms were fair. I'm used to most of them because... well, it's the CPC. It's a great machine but it's far from perfect so some flaws, I've grown to accept :)

vasilisk

I am not sure if this is mentioned before. Why the shooting balls are in two colors and not in one? Is it somekind of limitation or a trick to look like the are balls being shot one after another and not in a straight line.

abalore

Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling a lot when trying to do diagonal jumps. If I press diagonal in cursors and jump key, it jumps straight in vertical. I need to press just the side key and then jump to make a diagonal. This is counter-intuitive for me.

amijim

I only wish for a cpr version to play this game on my amstrad 6128plus with Gerald's perfect c4cpc cartridge.  Christmas came early this year for Amstradiens! A big thank you to Amstrad GGP!

dthrone

Are the authors present on this forum?

OneVision

Quote from: abalore on 22:54, 31 October 22Maybe it's me, but I'm struggling a lot when trying to do diagonal jumps. If I press diagonal in cursors and jump key, it jumps straight in vertical. I need to press just the side key and then jump to make a diagonal. This is counter-intuitive for me.
The same here.

Brundij

Well is the standard way in arcade games since forever I guess. Donkey Kong, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Pitfall, Bubble Bobble... Basically every arcade game but fighting games works that way.

GUNHED

Congratulations to the release and the pretty homepage.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

villain

Looks like a bug... Yesterday we got stuck here... No way out...

You cannot view this attachment.

XeNoMoRPH

Toki scoring record broken!!!! +600 000 pts