News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Like to do a X-Twitter list of CPC users?

Started by GUNHED, 16:49, 01 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Well, I saw Gryzor is there, and maybe you too? We can collect our ID if you like.

Mine is: @TFM_FutureSoft

Eventually we can make a Wiki page out of it. Just in case nothing is bad with that.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

Probably too many, but a nice idea!

I'm @krakout , btw.

eto

Gryzor

skylas

Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

reidrac

I left, for several reasons.

Mastodon aligns better with my view re: Open Source, and in case you want to have a bit of social network, it is healthier.

A lot of the people I was following in Twitter are still there, in their cozy retro-bubble I guess; and I miss some of them, but overall I'm much happier in Masto. There aren't that many Amstrad people AFAIK (but that is easy to fix!).

You can search for "@reidrac@social.sdf.org" if you want to find me there.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Eh, Mastodon is ok if you only use the medium for a specific community. But if you use a medium to follow diverse topics, it's pretty troublesome. Plus the user base is a drop in the ocean...

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:09, 02 December 23Eh, Mastodon is ok if you only use the medium for a specific community. But if you use a medium to follow diverse topics, it's pretty troublesome. Plus the user base is a drop in the ocean...

It all depends, but I see that is not like "everybody in on Twitter", and that's a deal breaker for some people (e.g. famous person X is not in Masto). It was never my use of Twitter; I was interacting with a small group of people with similar interests; which is what you say Masto works best once you find those users.

I miss a few retro-devs, the Japanese MSX community, some modern gamedevs, and some retro-folks. But to be honest, the Amstrad conversation on Twitter was close to none. What I don't miss is the ads, the toxic people, Space Karen, doom-scrolling, people pushing shit into my TL because quote-RT, etc.

Whatever. At the end of the day, social networks are a waste of time anyway :D
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

zhulien

i don't really get the purpose of X yet... friends before seem to want to announce every restaurant they are at for no good reason...

but i am there... and ebay... 

X @ninjazhu youtube ninjazhu
usually zhulien, but if that's taken it ends up ninjazhu

Devlin

Quote from: reidrac on 10:21, 02 December 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 10:09, 02 December 23Eh, Mastodon is ok if you only use the medium for a specific community. But if you use a medium to follow diverse topics, it's pretty troublesome. Plus the user base is a drop in the ocean...

It all depends, but I see that is not like "everybody in on Twitter", and that's a deal breaker for some people (e.g. famous person X is not in Masto). It was never my use of Twitter; I was interacting with a small group of people with similar interests; which is what you say Masto works best once you find those users.

I miss a few retro-devs, the Japanese MSX community, some modern gamedevs, and some retro-folks. But to be honest, the Amstrad conversation on Twitter was close to none. What I don't miss is the ads, the toxic people, Space Karen, doom-scrolling, people pushing shit into my TL because quote-RT, etc.

Whatever. At the end of the day, social networks are a waste of time anyway :D
I'm not on Twitter (fuck calling it X, elon musk is a turd) and have no plans to go back to it ever again..

I'd rather sacrifice "reach" to be somewhere I can be queer and happy and waffle about amstrad while i'm at it.

I like mastodon for that :)
https://topspicy.social/@devlin
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

Buuuut "reach" isn't about metrics and internet fake points, it's about people being able to find you, which on Mastodon... not so much.

But let's not turn this into a X vs Y thing - or rather, feel free, I hate Musk and he's made a huge mess out of Twitter, but maybe on a separate thread?

Shaun M. Neary

Used to be on it many years ago. It was good during the early to mid 2010s, but it became very toxic very quickly.
I barely even use Facebook anymore, it spends most of it's time deactivated (although I still use the messenger).

Social media has run it's course for me really.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Been following the Mastodon official stats for a while now out of morbid curiosity. The platform has been losing about 1000 users a day, steadily, for months now. It's probably going to drop below 900k active users this week. It's a pity, but the writing was on the wall from the beginning... 

GUNHED

Well, imho quality is more important compared to quantity. We will see what future brings...
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:53, 29 April 24Been following the Mastodon official stats for a while now out of morbid curiosity. The platform has been losing about 1000 users a day, steadily, for months now. It's probably going to drop below 900k active users this week. It's a pity, but the writing was on the wall from the beginning...

It's very good for the techy people. In fact "Auntie John" is on there. However I find Blue Sky better for day to day stuff.

Twitter, never going back. Poisonous site.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:03, 03 May 24Twitter, never going back. Poisonous site.
Not sure what "very good for the techy people" means. Mastodon's benefits are the same for every interest group. Yes, techy people may overcome its shortcomings, but those shortcomings basically guarantee that it'll never really take off unless something basic changes in the way it works. I consider myself to be one of those 'techy people' perhaps but I'm not willing to put up with its idiosyncrasies. For me the best social medium is the group me and a few pals have on Signal. Does this mean it's a good medium overall? Probably not.

I don't think Mastodon hit critical mass at any point and is currently withering away. Not very good for anyone.

Twitter? Yeah fuck that, I almost never visit it nowadays sadly. It's still good if you use a third party client, but Musk's stupidity and utter lack of acumen destroyed all good ones.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:10, 04 May 24I don't think Mastodon hit critical mass at any point and is currently withering away. Not very good for anyone.

Twitter? Yeah fuck that, I almost never visit it nowadays sadly. It's still good if you use a third party client, but Musk's stupidity and utter lack of acumen destroyed all good ones.

Not sure about critical mass or users. Numbers don't mean much to me. All I know is there are a lot of good retro people on there who are doing interesting technical projects. Technical people are of course attracted to a more technical platform. So I'm happy to drift between Mastodon and Blue Sky.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Critical mass is, of course, about viability, which is slowly bleeding away.

But also, "a lot" is of course about numbers.

You deliberately miss my point just because you like the medium basically, and I really wish you were right because then we'd have an alternative, but we don't, sadly. When Mastodon is down to its last handful of people exchanging quality content we can act surprised.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 05:36, 07 May 24Critical mass is, of course, about viability, which is slowly bleeding away.

But also, "a lot" is of course about numbers.

You deliberately miss my point just because you like the medium basically, and I really wish you were right because then we'd have an alternative, but we don't, sadly. When Mastodon is down to its last handful of people exchanging quality content we can act surprised.

I'm not missing the point. If I cared about momentum and user numbers I'd have sold my CPC in 1990. It's about where you want to be not where everyone else wants to be.

If maximum exposure and building a social media brand is what is important to someone then they should just be on Twitter. It's not going to die. Decline yes, but not die.

Meanwhile I'll use the platforms where I can talk to interesting people. Like here. Remember when everyone used forums? Kids today don't even know what they are!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

Again you misrepresent my point on purpose, which is by now a real classic move when people discuss the merits and pitfalls of alternative media. At no point did I mention a brand, maximizing exposure, metrics for the sake of metrics etc etc. That's your interpretation. I couldn't care less.

What I do care about is finding a medium that will not wither away, losing 5% of its active user base each month and accelerating. You can argue as much as you want about the quality of content, but as I said earlier the best content for me is on my signal group with a handful of friends, that doesn't make it a successful social medium. Sure, "I don't care about numbers" but "there's a lot of interesting people" in that group (around 12). Earth shattering.

By the way, one thing I don't get is, how come the decline of Mastodon has been constant for several months now, but the number of servers is steady? I mean, I'm all for decentralization but... 9000 servers for 900000 active users?

Gryzor

Oh hey I'm back on Mastodon! No idea what happened to my previous id.

@CPCwiki@mastodon.social

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:37, 07 May 24Again you misrepresent my point on purpose, which is by now a real classic move when people discuss the merits and pitfalls of alternative media. At no point did I mention a brand, maximizing exposure, metrics for the sake of metrics etc etc. That's your interpretation. I couldn't care less.

I'm talking about my own motivations and I'm not avoiding your points. I just want to hang out where I want to hang out.

Mastodon requires effort that the average user simply won't put in or sustain. It won't die. It will go back to being niche and full of techy people. That's fine.

The server numbers are explained away by everyone and their dog setting one up. I know 3 people with them, all of which are tiny. It seemed silly at the time to be on a small server at the whim of a single admin but there you go.

It's all just talking bollocks on the internet anyway. We'll all just find a different way to do it.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube