News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Quote from: SyX on 12:36, 12 March 24Let me remember...

For me, the motivation to try to fix this game, it was that the most iconic moment in the game, the first level with mount Fuji and the music were wrong.

The songs are now in the correct order, the original song order in the cartridge was so wrong at stupid levels, for example, the intro used the outro song, some levels used the time is ending theme, ... Music player and data is not touched at all, that means the London theme is not correct, it looks that music was not finished at all. But originally this project was a simply patch to restore the game in the original cartridge size.

Because the lack of space in the original cart and the bad compressor used, the original game lacked of Mount Fuji (it was Kenya, the Kilimanjaro mountain); Australia (it was Keyrin and it was another iconic screen from the arcade) and Paris (it was Barcelona). Before RedAngel, I simply ripped and converted those levels from the c64 version. Then I decrunched the backgrounds and patched the game to use ZX0, making possible to have all the backgrounds in the original cartridge size.

After RedAngel offered his help for the graphic side, everything changed. He used the arcade as reference, that means that he redrew every background and chose better palettes by taking care that the dusk and night palettes were so visible as day ones; because in the original game, those palettes were filled with black colour, making really hard to discern the backgrounds in those moments. He always gave priority to more details in the background even if he eliminated some clouds by doing that.

Levels like London was cut in the upper side of the screen, because the compressor was not so good and they need not only to cut levels, even reduce the height of the graphics for putting everything in 128 KBs. Those limitations were eliminated after using the new compressor.

The original game split the 2x16 colours palettes (16 for background + 15 for sprites) in 4x8 colours palettes. First background palette was for the backgrounds and need to be changed for the three moments of the day; the second palette was used for animals, player weapons, platforms, ... The two sprites palettes the first one was used for the balls; and the second one for the two players, and this palette was the same than the second background palette.

RedAngel worked really hard and he was able to use 8 colours + black from the platform palettes for the backgrounds. And in the same way for the balls using 8 colours + white from player sprites. The animals palette and the players palettes are not the same anymore.

He redraw the balls and now are more faithful to the arcade. In the same way, he retouched players, animals, platforms, ...

There is a few bug fixes (I don't remember everyone) and now in the map screen (that RedAngel change the palette to a much better one) you can choose to start in any level, making easier to see the wonderful work that RedAngel made (Maya looks now quasi photographic, even if it is only a palette change).

There is a few things that I was unable to change, for example, the ball collisions. The game engine is testing full cpc hardware sprites, not graphics, then the two small ball sizes use the same number of hardware sprites, 1, even if the small ball is only 8x8 pixels. In the same way, the bigger balls have a lot of empty space in the right hardware sprites. Fixing that, it means to change all the collision system in the engine.

The same would happen with all the possible improvements in the playability; for example, changing the physics to be more like the arcade. Or adding bonus under the bricks. Or adding the extra live bonus; funny thing, the immunity bonus has two frames animation, one is the extra life graphics.

It is possible to add different backgrounds for day, dusk and night; but we vote for not doing that change, because that it would increase the cartridge size and we wanted to show that the game only need more love. Music could be redone perfectly, but originally this was a simply patch and I never though in bringing a musician for the task.

In the same way, originally I even flirted with using totally different backgrounds for having more fun:
pang_estepona_bad_pal.png
You can see what I was talking about backgrounds being cut by its upper side.

And I think is that or the details that I can remember now.
Really nice work, a lot of effort not necessarily visible at first glance but which makes the difference when you really take the time to play knowing the original.

You're right, the first level is so iconic in all other versions, it was a shame the GX4000 begins with such a mistake. Pang is considered as one of the best GX4000 game, sad to know it's once again a rushed project with so much mistakes and bugs. In a way, you have just given this game its testing and debugging phase... 34 years after its release :laugh: .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

SyX

Quote from: iXien on 21:33, 12 March 24Really nice work, a lot of effort not necessarily visible at first glance but which makes the difference when you really take the time to play knowing the original.

You're right, the first level is so iconic in all other versions, it was a shame the GX4000 begins with such a mistake. Pang is considered as one of the best GX4000 game, sad to know it's once again a rushed project with so much mistakes and bugs. In a way, you have just given this game its testing and debugging phase... 34 years after its release :laugh: .
Thanks! :) 

The problem is that fixing the playability means that I would need to remake a big part of the engine code. And I prefer to use that time for my own projects.

The bet for the GX4000 by Amstrad and companies as Ocean for getting a piece of the lucrative console market during Christmas of 1990, it didn't worked at all; and the machine was discontinued automatically after Christmas. It means that we only got games that we could qualify as first generation games, everyone limited to 128 KBs cartridge size and not too many cpc+ features.

Pang certainly is the best game in the GX4000 catalogue, and it would be really hard to convert to classic cpc. For example, during the tutorial in the  attract mode in the intro, the z80 is doing practically nothing and is running to 50 fps. Trying to do that in a classic cpc at 50 fps is practically impossible.

But aside of sprites, ruptures and rasters interrupts, the game is not using more cpc+ features as audio dma. And you can see how the game was rushed to having a cartridge for Christmas.

For the rest of the GX4000 catalogue is really easy to see how all those games were rushed for having something for Christmas. Console games die or live by the playability, those games were not ready for that market, because the testing was inexistent in most of them. A big example is Robocop 2, this game should be considered an alpha, and I have discovered that the game was started in classic CPCs and the Ocean bosses forced to stop the classic version and produce something for the gx4000 in an absurd short time. Plotting suffered the same destiny, but at least the game as not so bugged as Robocop 2. It is a shame that we don't have those games in the classic catalogue.

... but well, that it is a big story and little off-topic for this thread.

dthrone

Quote from: SyX on 03:43, 13 March 24For the rest of the GX4000 catalogue is really easy to see how all those games were rushed for having something for Christmas. Console games die or live by the playability, those games were not ready for that market, because the testing was inexistent in most of them. A big example is Robocop 2, this game should be considered an alpha, and I have discovered that the game was started in classic CPCs and the Ocean bosses forced to stop the classic version and produce something for the gx4000 in an absurd short time. Plotting suffered the same destiny, but at least the game as not so bugged as Robocop 2. It is a shame that we don't have those games in the classic catalogue.

I hope you can give some more details on the Robocop 2 findings and bugs some time.  Really interesting!  :)

SyX

Quote from: dthrone on 09:54, 13 March 24I hope you can give some more details on the Robocop 2 findings and bugs some time.  Really interesting!  :)
Well, all those things always appear while we are doing the research for the historical and technical part of the podcast... sorry, sometimes looks that I am only speaking about the podcast, but a lot of those discoveries happen working in it... and I am really really really sorry that we have not time enough for making an english version.

Then browsing through old magazines and old and new interviews to old developers, we gather all that information. If we take a look to the gx4000 catalogue, 21 of the 25 games have copyright and reviews in 1990. Only 4 cartridge games were released in 1991, and 3 of those cartridges are from Loriciels, it looks that Loriciels arrived late to the console party. The funny thing is that the same Loriciels would be practically the only company releasing games in tape/floppy with palette enhances in the case that a CPC+ machine was detected (Best of the Best, Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy, D-Day and L'Aigle D'Or Le Retour).

In the case of Robocop 2, you can see how after getting the note that the game had to be converted from cpc classic to gx4000 in the middle of the development, everybody started to run around like headless chickens. The pressure for this project it was already high, they were making the sequel to one of the best selling 8 bit games ever.

The Ocean team making the z80 versions, as always they had started to work in the ZX version, but with an eye in converting the game to our machine. And Ivan Horn had already started to convert graphics to the classic CPC, when they received the bad news that the game need to be redesign for GX4000 and it should be ready for December. At the same time, Andrew Deakin had to convert Batman (Mike Lamb was already coding for gameboy) and Operation Thunderbolt to cartridge for December; and if that was not enough, he was helping to save Ocean in the Total Recall fiasco.

The guys need to work hard in a really stressful environment with an absurd time limit for reaching the date for duplication the cartridges.

I have research this game a lot, comparing the CPC+ version with the ZX and Atari ST ones. I added Robocop II to my todo list for remaking it for classic CPCs using my engine for platform games.

But now it is time to show some probes about why the CPC+ version has a classic CPC origin. Starting by the graphics, we are going to take a look to them by simply recolouring them using the Robocop I palette from the first level. This one:
robo1_game.png

Using this palette for the HUD, I went from here:
robocop_hud_plus.png
To here:
robocop_hud.png

The HUD looks very nice using the Robocop palette.

I have got the same luck for the sprites. Going from here:
 robocop_test.png
Under the CPC+ sprites, you can see the ones from the ZX version, converted to mode 1 using only 3 colours. As you can see the zx version includes more animations than the gx4000 cartridge (the Atari ST version that is loose based in the z80 versions has even more animation frames).

And this is how those sprites look after being recoloured using the Robocop I palette:
robocop_sprites_compare.png
As you can see, they look amazing. And those robocop sprites are only using 6 colours (3 tones of blue, black, white and orange), if the game was designed for the CPC+, they would have used more colours for the player sprite. Don't you think?

The same happens with the tiles, I have converted the tile graphics to using the robocop palette.

After that I went to the original z80 version, the zx one, in theory the base for the lost classic CPC version. And this time for comparing the level maps.

ZX first level:
 robocopzx_map.png

CPC+ first level:
 robocop2_level_01.png

They look similar, but at the same time they are very different. For example, there are not killer jumps in ZX, that make the CPC+ version so stupidy hard.
The other two platform levels follow the same pattern. The impression that I have got, it is that the team tried to change a little the levels with respect to the ZX version, for trying to give a more "console" look to the game, but the lack of testing, because the stressful and ridiculous time limit, destroyed the playability for the CPC+ version.
Another funny thing is that the ZX Spectrum version includes a lot of intermission screens that are not in the CPC+ cartridge version. Meaning that the limit of using a 128 KBs cartridge size in those first generation GX4000 games, hit hard to the plus version, by having less content (animations, intermission, bonus, ...)  than the zx tape version.

A sad detail as consequence of the lack of sales of Robocop II in cartridges, Ocean would not convert Robocop 3 to the CPC too.

I hope those are enough details for explaining why I consider the Robocop 2 cartridge as an alpha version in need of a lot of love, hehehe.

andycadley

I'm not entirely convinced. The graphics may well have been started before the CPC+ hardware was available or even before the decision to go GX only, but also they're still essentially 16 colour graphics so it's not like you're going to allocate 15 shades of blue to RoboCop when you still need palette entries for other sprites etc.

Quote from: SyX on 15:09, 13 March 24The other two platform levels follow the same pattern. The impression that I have got, it is that the team tried to change a little the levels with respect to the ZX version, for trying to give a more "console" look to the game, but the lack of testing, because the stressful and ridiculous time limit, destroyed the playability for the CPC+ version.

I think this is the bit I struggle with the most. The Speccy version plays almost entirely differently and is absolutely full of extremely irritating jumps, mostly on conveyors, that are almost as bad as those in the GX version (admittedly more because the controls are clunky rather than because you can't distinguish what a hole is).

YS ran a preview back in the day where they described how Ocean were using the game to trial adapting different versions to different platforms, both because of hardware requirements but also based on what type of games tended to sell well on different platforms. The C64 has fast sprites and more console like gameplay, but had to squeeze into a tiny amount of RAM. The Speccy version was 128K only (a first at the time) and is a much slower pace with a more cerebral aspect. The GX version sort of sits in the middle and was probably hampered by unfamiliarity with the hardware for such a short timescale.

In general I think trying to design four or five different games hurt all versions more than designing one and just doing best efforts on every platform. And presumably Ocean did too since it didn't seem to be an approach they repeated again.

iXien

In any way, It's well known that Amstrad announced the arrival of the GX4000/Plus systems late in 1990... I mean, too late. So in one way or another, reuse of projects initially intended for the CPC or simply further demonstration of the stupidity of releasing a game simultaneously on so many different machines, there is no doubt that the completely absurd development delays have annihilated any chance to have real console quality games for Christmas. It's already a miracle that these games saw the light of day ;)

Sorry @Gryzor for these few off-topic posts. But it was very interesting  :P
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Gryzor

Yeah, no need to I think, if people think so though I can clean it up and split the thread :)

SyX

I think is not necessary @Gryzor, those were simple clarifications to a pair of questions, once about Pang+ and other about Robocop 2.

@andycadley and me we are going to agree to disagree, but we are only explaining our points of view.
Quote from: andycadley on 17:15, 13 March 24I'm not entirely convinced. The graphics may well have been started before the CPC+ hardware was available or even before the decision to go GX only, but also they're still essentially 16 colour graphics so it's not like you're going to allocate 15 shades of blue to RoboCop when you still need palette entries for other sprites etc.
Well, the problem is that considering the full palette, with 16 colours for the background and 15 for sprites. The first level is using practically the same 16 colours. You can take a look:
robo2_level_1_palette.png

You can see the blue colours used for the robocop sprites are replaced by tones of gray in the background, but the rest of colours are very similar.
And it is because that I am being able to recolour the tiles using a classic palette and the game looks exactly the same, except more blueish instead of grayish.
Another feature that shows, this was a really rushed development is the colours chosen. Do you know the concept of Atari ST ports in the Amiga world?  A bad atari conversion to Amiga, it doesn't take care that the Amiga has 4096 colours palette (12 bits), instead of 512 (9 bits) palette used in the ST.
In those bad ports, the developers used directly the Atari ST hexadecimal values in the Amiga. This made the graphics very dark, and force you to increase the bright in the monitor/tv. The reason of this is because the upper bit of every colour component is 0; then instead of using values from 0-15, you are using values from 0-7.
Have you ever asked why the Robocop 2 graphics are so dark? Because the palette has been copied directly from the ST art program used (Degas Elite or Art Studio). If you take a look to the palettes in the cartridge you can see that all the colours components are using values between 0-7, instead of 0-15.
Put the game in an emulator, start a a game, enter in the debugger and go to $A70D, then every nibble until $A72C multiply per two. And you will see the HUD is now using a brightest palette (contrast a lot with the dark palette in the game zone):
robocop_12_bits_palette.png

I can do the same for all the game palettes and now the game will be bright as it should have been, if the developers would have enough time for testing things.
Quote from: andycadley on 17:15, 13 March 24I think this is the bit I struggle with the most. The Speccy version plays almost entirely differently and is absolutely full of extremely irritating jumps, mostly on conveyors, that are almost as bad as those in the GX version (admittedly more because the controls are clunky rather than because you can't distinguish what a hole is).
Well, the cpc version includes those annoying jumps in the conveyor belts, but lack the feature that Robocop can hung in a hook for traveling over dangerous hot lava (although look some kind of beer, must be the influence of Saint Patrick :P). I am not saying the ZX version is perfect, but at least is a full game.

Quote from: andycadley on 17:15, 13 March 24YS ran a preview back in the day where they described how Ocean were using the game to trial adapting different versions to different platforms, both because of hardware requirements but also based on what type of games tended to sell well on different platforms. The C64 has fast sprites and more console like gameplay, but had to squeeze into a tiny amount of RAM. The Speccy version was 128K only (a first at the time) and is a much slower pace with a more cerebral aspect. The GX version sort of sits in the middle and was probably hampered by unfamiliarity with the hardware for such a short timescale.
If you read that YS preview, November 1990, you will see one important detail, they comment that the developers were working in the zx robocop 2 version for a year already. That means the z80 version was started at the end of 1989, in that time nobody knew anything about the CPC+ machines. Meaning that the game was started for CPC classic, even if in Ocean usually, the CPC code was finished always after the ZX code; maps and graphics were made simultaneously for both versions.

Well, the 6502 team converted the c64 version to nes, a few months later release the c64 version and the reason was the awful sales of the c64 console.

Ocean wanted that the "european" consoles worked, but after the bad sales during Christmas in 1990, they paid the nintendo tax and worked for those machines.

If you have been following the interviews to old developers that we have been making in Retromaniac, I can tell you that in a few weeks or months we will publish a few interviews with more Ocean developers and I will ask about what happened with Robocop 2 and I hope that we will get a definitive answer.

andycadley

I think the Amiga/ST comparison may be more apt than you imagine as Ocean used STs to do a lot of the artwork at the time. It's quite plausible that it was all done initially with one 16 colour palette and then just tweaked slightly right at the end, with nobody bothering to scale up the colour values just like on so many Amiga ports. Certainly production ready hardware wouldn't have been available for much of the development period.

We know the official Plus specs had reached v1.4 by March of 1990 and v1.5 by April. Extrapolating backwards would suggest design began around December 1989 and Ocean may well have been consulted heavily (they had a big buy in after all and were probably the #1 player at the time) so they'd be aware it was coming even when the public weren't. I'm not saying a classic CPC version was never considered, I just think there are a lot of other plausible explanations (including the fact Ocean's tooling wouldn't have been adapted for the Plus spec at the time).

Definitely interested in the interview though, always good to hear from the horse's mouth as it were.

Phantomz

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of " Novabug " and " Yellow Belly "   ;D

I was asked to convert the game to cpr ages ago for @Novabug 

I've recently asked Yellow Belly if it's ok to now share this and he said 
" yup no problem ", Cheers Yellow Belly.  8)

WARNING = Normal Game contains adult text and sprites of a sexual nature.

BUG'S QUEST FOR TAPES

Normal Game and Children friendly version included

Main menu controls:
J1B1 = Start Normal game
J1B2 = Start Hard game
UP = Redefine Controls

Ingame controls:
Dpad = Move
J1B1 = Jump
J1B2 = Pause game / any Button = Resume

Modifications for the GX4000 version:
  - Changed Loading Screen to Select Option Screen (can enjoy the rings flashing now),      
    Options Added for GX4000 or Computer version (can play with original keys)
  - Patched keys for menu select and play
  - Poke: Easter egg Infinite Lives option added. Press Console Pause Button (P)
    on the GX4000 or Computer Select screen before selecting an option.
  - Text Changed for Children version.

kawickboy

Maybe the explanation is the c64 release ? The gx4000 90s release seems to be a enhanced c64 port, but i haven't play it. So maybe the gx4000 release inherited some c64 limits.
I regret that the tunes didn't have the Ocean's touch (Martin Galway, Johnathan Dunn and Matthew Cannon).

andycadley

Quote from: kawickboy on 10:32, 15 March 24Maybe the explanation is the c64 release ? The gx4000 90s release seems to be a enhanced c64 port, but i haven't play it. So maybe the gx4000 release inherited some c64 limits.
I regret that the tunes didn't have the Ocean's touch (Martin Galway, Johnathan Dunn and Matthew Cannon).
For RoboCop 2? I doubt it. The C64 version is a very different game. And it's a lot worse, tbh. Both the Speccy and GX versions, for all their faults, look like absolute masterpieces in comparison.

kawickboy

I was talking about Pang, C64 vs GX4000.
Robocop 2 GX is very similar to the ST release indeed. Ocean tried to make a specific game on each platform. Amiga release by Special FX was totally a different game than ST.

iXien

Hi everybody, here is your weekend dose, thanks again to @Urusergi :

TURBO CHOPPER SIMULATOR from Codemasters

Already patched but now with black border and background and bugfixes.

Controls:
d-pad = Move your chopper
J1B1 = action
Pause button = Pause game (J1B1 = Resume, J1B2 = Change background colour)

- Wait for fire on title screen,
    - Game keys patched,
    - Ingame black border by default,
    - When you are on pause, change background color with Joy1 UP ('small enter' before) and change foreground color with joy1 DOWN ('Copy' before).
    - Bugfix: when you select redefine and press ESC and play with the joystick until you die, then if you decide to play the next game with the keyboard pressing space, the key defined for UP will be changed to ESC. Fixed.
    - Bugfix: After redefining the keys, the first letter remains at the bottom left. Fixed.
    - Default keyboard key are 'Q A I O SPACE' now,
    - Pokes : Activate built-in cheat with unlimited choppers level skip option (J1B2 while game is in pause).

There are so much nice little gems from this publisher budget publisher  :-* 

iXien

And tonight, it's a new GX4000 game that is now available 8) :

OH CHUTE! from Team Giraffe

Based on the classic game Rip Cord, discover this new game taking part of the GX4000/Plus systems capabilities, and very nice to play.

Download the game here: https://cwiiis.itch.io/oh-chute
And what about a physical version? It here: https://www.teamgiraffe.co.uk/oh-chute/

So many wonders these days for our beloved GX4000 ;D

remax

Annual update has been done.

Full package available. Thanks to everyone who contributed (iXien above everyone for making my job so easier) ;)

We are now heading toward the 10th birthday of this topic !!! :o
Brain Radioactivity

iXien

Ok guys, so the list is up to date to the release of Survivors on March the 1st (included).

Many thanks to @remax for all the work on the list ;) You're right, next year will be the 10 years of one of the longuest topic of CPC Wiki :P

34 more commercial games and 16 more homebrew games entered the list, 23 games have been updated since the last update.

In this beginning of 2024, 829 games are available to play on GX4000 (including the official games). And the adventure continues...  8)

Phantomz

Moontorc

(Bug fix has been applied)

Main menu controls:
J1B1 = Start Game
J1B2 = Activate built-in cheat

Ingame controls:
Dpad = Left and Right to MOVE
Dpad = Down to Select ICON
J1B1 = Fire to USE, SPELL, AXE, or SWORD
Dpad = Up and Down are also used to SELECT ITEMS from KNAPSACK or SHOPS
            Press Fire to use or buy items selected.
J1B2 = Jump

J2B1 = Pause
J2B2 = Resume
CONSOLE BUTTON = Quit

- Trainer changed to English and remapped to Joypad
  - Wait for any key on info screen, text changed
  - Wait for any key on title screen,   
  - Game keys patched,
  - Pokes : Activate built-in cheat, CHEAT MODE (Invulnerable)
    Press J1B2 on Main Screen, if you have succeeded you will see the following message
    "GODS IN THE MAKING" appear at the top of the screen.

Phantomz

CHICKIN CHASE / POULE POSITION from Firebird

I know that @iXien converted these games and uploaded them, however no changes were made, therefore you would get stuck on the highscore table.

I've done new versions of these games.

The game can be played with Joystick by default with P being pause, however I've changed the pause button to be J1B2 with the Console Button now being used for QUIT.

Joyapd1 to Play the Game
J1B2 = Pause, Any Button to Resume
CONSOLE BUTTON = Quit

- Keyboard Control Removed
  - Pause Remapped to J1B2, Any Button to Resume
  - Quit Remapped to Console Button
  - Remapped 1 to J1 UP, 2 to J1 LEFT, 3 to J1 RIGHT, 4 to J1 DOWN,
    ENTER to J1B1, DELETE to J1B2, CONSOLE B to Capital P,
    So can Enter names as P1, P2, P3, P4

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:56, 18 March 24CHICKIN CHASE / POULE POSITION from Firebird

I know that @iXien converted these games and uploaded them, however no changes were made, therefore you would get stuck on the highscore table.

I've done new versions of these games.

The game can be played with Joystick by default with P being pause, however I've changed the pause button to be J1B2 with the Console Button now being used for QUIT.

Joyapd1 to Play the Game
J1B2 = Pause, Any Button to Resume
CONSOLE BUTTON = Quit

- Keyboard Control Removed
  - Pause Remapped to J1B2, Any Button to Resume
  - Quit Remapped to Console Button
  - Remapped 1 to J1 UP, 2 to J1 LEFT, 3 to J1 RIGHT, 4 to J1 DOWN,
    ENTER to J1B1, DELETE to J1B2, CONSOLE B to Capital P,
    So can Enter names as P1, P2, P3, P4
That's weird, I was sure there was no problem with the hiscore table in this one, many thanks!

iXien

@remax is so painstaking :D The list is up to date till today. Definitive counts:

025 Official games (excluding chase HQ 2, just for principle as nobody can play it)
133 homebrew games (games developed for the GX4000 and patched from CPC)
700 commercial CPC games patched

You can play 858 games on GX4000 and that's not the end, for sure ;) 

overange

I know you guys are very busy with these conversions, but are the follow games going to be or cannot be converted?:-

Aliens: The Computer Game (US Version)

Running Man 

Red Heat

Thanks
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

kawickboy

Back to Robocop 2:

I don't remember if in the history of Ocean book, the Z80 Robocop 2 case was mentionned. UK magazines were aware of the CPC+/GX since the beginning of 1990 at least. AA in march 1990 interviewed french Amstrad 100% team and even them were aware of this (but never talk about it until september 1990 !). Seeing classic CPC loosing Robocop 2 was very frustrating in 1990.
As Ocean explained that the GX4000/CPC+ were designed using some of their suggestions we could consider that Ocean was aware for monthes too.

As Robocop 3 was released on Spectrum (128ko only), and considering that CPC+ market was not great-selling (Space Gun only released in France without any advertising ?) i don't understand why Robocop 3 was announced on CPC+ , sometine on CPC (this wasn't clear in fact) and finally nothing. Was the game started ?

About Total Recall: on CPC-Power it is said that this was a complicated project, but neither in Amstrad 100% (of course) neither in AA (i have read most of them) this situation was explained. Where could we fin informations about this ?

iXien

Ok guys, we have other games to submit you but I can't resist the urge to present to you a version that seems ultimate in terms of control for a major game on CPC, thanks to the self-sacrifice and skill of our unstoppable @Urusergi :P :

RENEGADE from Ocean/Imagine

Controls on main screen:
Pause button = Swap music+SFX or SFX only
d-pad = Any button to start game.

Controls while playing:
d-pad = Move
J1B1+LEFT = Punch/back kick left (Punching a floored assaillant)
J1B1+RIGHT = Punch/back kick right (Punching a floored assaillant)
J1B2+UP = Jump
J1B1+UP+LEFT or J1B2+LEFT = Flying kick left
J1B1+DOWN+RIGHT or J1B2+RIGHT = Flying kick right
Pause button = Pause game (pause again = quit game, any button = resume)

As usual, your character will automatically crouch to punch a floored assaillant and grapple them when stunned if you get close enough.

- Wait for fire on title screen,
    - All keys patched on a single joypad,
    - Red blood,
    - Black border version,
    - Remove the text on the top of the screen "RENEGADE @1987 IMAGINE / TAITO" while playing,
    - Bug fix for the missing sprite in level 3 when you kick the "girl" on the ground,
    - Pokes : Unlimited lives and time.

Sadly, it's not the fabulous new version of the game that has been spread including the running and the flying kicks while running for the main character that lacked in the original conversion, with so nice scrolling too, as it requires 128Kb RAM.

We can only hope that @Geco will be motivated to make a version taking part of the cartridge to play it on GX4000.

In the meantime, we hope that you will like this version based on the original CPC game, playable with a 1-button joystick or a 2-button joypad. I was even motivated enough to prepare a little "instruction sheet" for you which visually shows these new controls which, in my opinion, extend the pleasure of this game  8)