News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Nc100 keyboard pinout?

Started by Baracus, 02:52, 16 October 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Baracus

Would like to see if I can reuse the NC100 keyboard since my NC100 is dead (I am using the 325 currently, until I find another NC100 that is working).

Assuming it is a straight matrix keyboard, how do I go to use it as keyboard for something like a USB device? I have a arduino that can do simulation of a USB keyboard; which I used time ago for a C64 project; although I would need to figure out how to connect the ribbon and the meaning of the actual matrix.

Probably nobody bothered to make a conversion kit, so I will have to do my own :)

robcfg

What is the problem with your NC100?

I've seem a fair number of them just having a blown fuse, so if yours doesn't power up, it might be worth checking.

Regarding the keyboard, yes, it's a matrix keyboard:

The picture is from a NC150, but the keyboard layout is identical, so I expect them to be the same.

Prodatron

It would be strange If the Keyboard Matrix is the same as the nc100 has different Keyboard Codes compared to the later Models.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

robcfg

You may be right, but why would Nakajima change the key codes if the three models have basically the same keyboard?

Baracus

Quote from: robcfg on 12:46, 16 October 23What is the problem with your NC100?

I've seem a fair number of them just having a blown fuse, so if yours doesn't power up, it might be worth checking.

Regarding the keyboard, yes, it's a matrix keyboard:

The picture is from a NC150, but the keyboard layout is identical, so I expect them to be the same.

Thanks Rob!

My Nc100 died after batteries basically killed the mainboard. A couple of IC just stopped working; there is no signal on multiple pins, so I was looking for replacement and realized that it takes less effort to just get a new device, instead of hunt down a broken NC100 to just get the ICs from it.

As such, since I have this keyboard that I will keep as spare for the new NC100, I was thinking to use it with something like a raspberry pi or other small microcontroller, to make something fun like a small terminal. Since the keyboard is just a matrix, I should be able to do the same I did for an old C64 keyboard and use it as "usb keyboard" basically.

Is there a reference somewhere about what each key is associated with each pin on those ribbons? And which one is the ground pin? Even the docs with the schematics does not seem to have that detail. Thanks!

robcfg

QuoteMy Nc100 died after batteries basically killed the mainboard. A couple of IC just stopped working; there is no signal on multiple pins, so I was looking for replacement and realized that it takes less effort to just get a new device, instead of hunt down a broken NC100 to just get the ICs from it.
Fair enough  :D

QuoteAs such, since I have this keyboard that I will keep as spare for the new NC100, I was thinking to use it with something like a raspberry pi or other small microcontroller, to make something fun like a small terminal. Since the keyboard is just a matrix, I should be able to do the same I did for an old C64 keyboard and use it as "usb keyboard" basically.
Sure! I have a Dragon 32 keyboard connected to the Retro-Pico board for the C64 and adapting the software. Your main issue would be finding the connectors for the ribbons and designing a PCB for it and your microcontroller of choice.

QuoteIs there a reference somewhere about what each key is associated with each pin on those ribbons? And which one is the ground pin? Even the docs with the schematics does not seem to have that detail. Thanks!
Not a visual one that I know of, but source code of MAME (nc.cpp) could be of help.