Author Topic: Score  (Read 913 times)

Offline BluesBrothers

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 95
Score
« on: 19:52, 17 November 16 »
Scored a 1640PC today. Can anyone tell me anything about as never even seen one before now. Not plugged in yet as havent had time. Anything I need to know

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 3136
  • Likes Given: 5784
Re: Score
« Reply #1 on: 16:06, 14 December 16 »
Surprised nobody answered, but then again, what's there to tell? A PC, 640KB, DR GEM I think...

Offline GeoffB17

• 6128 Plus
  • PCW since '85
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: 01:14, 18 December 16 »
Way back, early 90's I guess, I went through a few of these.   Initially the mono one, later the colour one.

Just a standard PC.   Only oddity was the CMoS battery on the top of the case under the monitor.  Standard AA battery(s ?).

We usually used with a 20 Mb hard card fitted, so that when we swapped the machine we just removed the card with all our personal stuff on and moved to the new machine.

I never used GEM, so I cannot comment on that.   All my use was via the DOS prompt.  DOS 3.3 I think?

Originally, the machines had a significant price advantage.   Gradually, numerous other clones whittled this away, until there were better machines, better made, for the same or less price.

Geoff

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 3136
  • Likes Given: 5784
« Reply #3 on: 12:22, 26 January 17 »
I think GEM was much, much better than the first versions of Windows. Up to '95 I personally preferred the CLI and my Norton Commander over anything Windows-related...