News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Addict magazine

Started by CrookieMonster, 14:42, 13 September 23

Previous topic - Next topic

CrookieMonster

I just wanted to flag up a new 60-page Amstrad magazine - Amstrad Addict. It's edited by me (David Crookes - Retro Gamer, PC Pro, GamesTM, Wireframe, Amstrad Action, WACCI) and is packed with content.

As well as an interview with Lord Sugar, there are in-depth articles by Roland Perry, Auntie John, Adam Peters, Nich Campbell, Xyphoe, Rob Scott, Themistocles "gryzor" Papassilekas, Neil Reive, Stuart "Balrog" Whyte, Steve "WACCI" Williams and Andy Price.

There's an amazing type-in (and explanation) by Sean McManus, huge interviews with Richard Fairhurst, a host of star name devs from Philip Oliver to Tony Warriner, an amazing story about an unreleased Amstrad and behind the scenes looks at Toki... and Vespertino. And more. Like interviews with the people behind Protext and OCP Advanced Art Studio. A chat with Frank Gasking...

Oh, there's a unique, exclusive cartoon by the brilliant Tony Husband (Private Eye, Oink!) too.

You do not want to miss this!

Pre-order at https://www.pixel.addict.media/shop/amstrad-addict-magazine

GUNHED

For CPC users outside the UK it would be nice to provide an PDF.  :)

Actually a PDF or picture of the table of contents would be of general interest.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

Quote from: GUNHED on 16:16, 13 September 23For CPC users outside the UK it would be nice to provide an PDF.  :)

Actually a PDF or picture of the table of contents would be of general interest.
Umm, there's a pdf available to order. 

Gryzor

I mean, with the level of editorial input and attention I experience and the announced participations, this has got me more excited than many, many printed retro releases from the past several years... Can't wait!

If you so wish, you can use the wiki's front page to announce it, too. Or I can do it for you :)

Gryzor

By the way, that image is just brillant!

Maniac

Looks excellent! Copy ordered! Very much looking forward to this.

seanmcmanus

Very excited to see this coming out. David has been working on pulling this together for a long time and has brought together a great list of contributors. I was delighted to be invited to contribute a type-in, and I tried to think of a listing that was editorially interesting today, given that we can easily download anything.

That cover design is fantastic, too!

Gryzor

Not only has David put a lot of time in this, but he's actually doing a great, *professional* job at it. Can't wait to get my copy!

norecess464

The content of this issue seems to be so amazing... of course I pre-ordered!   ;D
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

eto

Sounds interesting... 

I would be interested about how the content pages look like. The last retro magazines I bought all had large images as full-page backgrounds on almost all pages, making huge parts hard or even impossible to read.

Gryzor

I agree. For some reason, most retro magazine producers seem to never have opened a magazine, I've seen some things that beggar belief! 

Zines are usually much better in that regard, though they usually suffer (like the magazines or coffee-table books) from lack of editing - or even spel chekkin. Go figure.

I'm sure this is a high-standard publication though...

Skunkfish

Amiga Addict is a very polished production, so I have high hopes for this!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

pollito

@CrookieMonster this looks amazing. I would love to have a hard copy, but I don't fancy actually typing in the type-ins, and it would be good to be able to read bits and pieces on my phone. Is the PDF version available to download at no extra charge if I buy the hard copy, or would I have to buy it separately?

CrookieMonster

Quote from: eto on 09:02, 15 September 23Sounds interesting...

I would be interested about how the content pages look like. The last retro magazines I bought all had large images as full-page backgrounds on almost all pages, making huge parts hard or even impossible to read.
Apologies for the delays in replying: we've been hard at work putting the finishing touches to the mag. One of the things I've been very keen on is readability. It's so important that page designs are easy on the eye - none of us are getting any younger, after all. So please rest assured that, in my view at least, there are no parts of the magazine that will be hard to read. 

CrookieMonster

Quote from: pollito on 23:21, 18 September 23@CrookieMonster this looks amazing. I would love to have a hard copy, but I don't fancy actually typing in the type-ins, and it would be good to be able to read bits and pieces on my phone. Is the PDF version available to download at no extra charge if I buy the hard copy, or would I have to buy it separately?
The PDF and print versions are separate so to get both you would have to buy both. The type-in is certainly manageable if you did fancy typing it in (I'm sure Sean could also help out if you didn't). :) 

CrookieMonster

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:57, 15 September 23I agree. For some reason, most retro magazine producers seem to never have opened a magazine, I've seen some things that beggar belief!

Zines are usually much better in that regard, though they usually suffer (like the magazines or coffee-table books) from lack of editing - or even spel chekkin. Go figure.

Thanks Gryzor. :) I just know a typo will have slipped the net somewhere but I've gone through this magazine with the finest of tooth combs along with the rest of the production team and I *think* we've ironed every single one of them out. Now I've said that, I think I should take another read through. haha.

CrookieMonster

Quote from: GUNHED on 16:16, 13 September 23For CPC users outside the UK it would be nice to provide an PDF.  :)

I'm looking to post a table of contents and the final cover (with logo this time) will be posted very soon.

seanmcmanus

Quote from: pollito on 23:21, 18 September 23@CrookieMonster this looks amazing. I would love to have a hard copy, but I don't fancy actually typing in the type-ins, and it would be good to be able to read bits and pieces on my phone. Is the PDF version available to download at no extra charge if I buy the hard copy, or would I have to buy it separately?

There is a link in the mag to the type-in online so it can be copy and pasted into an emulator, and even a version that runs in the web browser so you can try it easily. I'll see about adding the .dsk file for anyone who wants it that way, too.

Gryzor

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 16:58, 19 September 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 10:57, 15 September 23I agree. For some reason, most retro magazine producers seem to never have opened a magazine, I've seen some things that beggar belief!

Thanks Gryzor. :) I just know a typo will have slipped the net somewhere but I've gone through this magazine with the finest of tooth combs along with the rest of the production team and I *think* we've ironed every single one of them out. Now I've said that, I think I should take another read through. haha.
A typo here and there is one thing - and can be tolerated. Stringing together sentences running whole paragraphs without even re-reading it yourself is another thing altogether, and unfortunately all too common, even in productions I love.

The online links to the type ins will be great, even though I'm planning to recreate the experience😁

pollito

EDIT: Sorry, please disregard this message - I didn't see the reply from @CrookieMonster  :picard:

CrookieMonster

seanmcmanus

Nice! A couple of nods to another AA in the logo, I see!

Gryzor

Ι can see that the "Missing tape? Ask your newsagent!" area is missing.

CrookieMonster

Haha. It would have been amazing to add a covertape! I so wish we could have.