News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad is back

Started by CrookieMonster, 06:19, 04 March 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Yeah, no. Not more than the Indian company selling OEM tv sets and A/C units. 

dthrone

ZorrO

I still don't understand what he planning to do with that.
CPC+PSX 4ever

eto

Not sure if that is good news. There's always the risk they start going after brand "violations". Let's hope they continue to ignore our community.

BSC

Will they finally release the Amiga killer?
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

overange

They may also jump on the classic computer revive market, creating an updated mini CPC just like the C64, Atari 'the 400' and A500 Mini nostalgic market.

Imagine a GX4000 Mini, I bet they will sell more than they did originally :D 

As Amstrad did own the rights to Sinclair, would be interesting to see if they get this brand from SKY as well??
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Gryzor

Guys, it's just a digital marketing agency... 

andycadley

Yeah, from what I've read Alan just negotiated the actual name Amstrad, not any of their older rights. I guess it wouldn't be impossible they'd start issuing trademark takedowns on anyone using Amstrad, but I don't think they'd care about "CPC" 

XeNoMoRPH

Amstrad CPC 6512 plus 2 its coming !!! 😁😁👽👽
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

dodogildo

Quote from: ZorrO on 12:39, 04 March 24I still don't understand what he planning to do with that.
Planning to give the brand to his grandsons: "These two lads are not going to sit in their pyjamas working from home, they've got to get out there and do some business."
Hilarious! Wish he was my gramps!  :laugh:
M'enfin!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:37, 04 March 24Guys, it's just a digital marketing agency...

This. It's Al just doing a favour for his grandsons. Suddenly decided he wants the name back. What I find odd is he didn't negotiate that when he sold Amstrad. Ie 'in the event Sky stop using the name, after a 10 year period I have the option to buy the name back for a fair market price'.

It's not an electronics company, it's just some shizzy digital marketing agency. No electronics, no computers. And no rights to the Amstrad/Sinclair products which still reside with Sky.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: overange on 18:34, 04 March 24They may also jump on the classic computer revive market, creating an updated mini CPC just like the C64, Atari 'the 400' and A500 Mini nostalgic market.

Imagine a GX4000 Mini, I bet they will sell more than they did originally :D

As Amstrad did own the rights to Sinclair, would be interesting to see if they get this brand from SKY as well??

It's just the name. Not the rights to the products.

And I hope nobody ever does a 'mini' CPC. I don't want to see our machine reduced to a plastic pencil case of dubious quality that has to have a piece of metal inside to make it feel like it has any weight to it. Why would you want to own that crap when you can have the real thing?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

overange

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:56, 05 March 24And I hope nobody ever does a 'mini' CPC. I don't want to see our machine reduced to a plastic pencil case of dubious quality that has to have a piece of metal inside to make it feel like it has any weight to it. Why would you want to own that crap when you can have the real thing?
How about we take a trip down memory lane with a 'Maxi' CPC that embodies the spirit of the original Amstrad products from the '80s? Imagine a sleek, retro-inspired design reminiscent of those iconic electronic goods. 
This powerhouse of nostalgia will not only be a computer but a centrepiece of your home with its vintage charm. 
Complete with a disco ball that harkens back to the groovy vibes of the '80s dance floors, a cup holder crafted with the finest faux wood panelling, and a popcorn dispenser that brings the magic of movie nights right into your living room. 
It's not just a computer; it's a time machine back to the golden age of electronics. 
Say hello to the Maxi CPC – where innovation meets nostalgia in the most Amstrad-tastic way possible
Current Usable Collection = 800XL / XE Remake / 1100 Drive / Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ( Rubber Key ) / Sinclair ZX Spectrum Harliquin 128k ( Rubber Key ) / Amstrad CPC6128 Plus / Amstrad GX4000 / Sega Master System / Sega Mega Drive / Nintendo DMG-01 Gameboy / Amiga CD32 / AMSTRAD MEGAPC 386SX and possibly the UKs largest Collection of Competition Pro Joysticks, so far 40 different variations and always looking for more

Devlin

The Mug's Eyeful, now in digital form!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

CrookieMonster

Although Lord Sugar is lending the name to a digital marketing company today, it doesn't necessarily mean he won't lend it to another idea tomorrow. But I'm sure he wouldn't seek to dampen enthusiasm for his older machines - he seems really proud of them.

BSC

Amstrad might also finally join the demo-scene. It has taught him was his machines really can do and now it's time to give back!
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

eto

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 09:54, 05 March 24it doesn't necessarily mean he won't lend it to another idea tomorrow.
It probably only depends on the offer ;-)

But seriously: I doubt it. If he really wants to establish the brand again, then such side-activities (as long as they don't mean big money) would be potentially harmful for their business if e.g. Google searches show their business activities next to nerd-stuff. We shouldn't be surprised to see requests to change names of websites or events that currently carry "Amstrad" in their names. 

I don't think that AMS would harm the community, so I would expect those will be friendly requests. But this might not last forever, especially when AMS is gone at some point. 

While it was not really important to think about the Amstrad brand name in the past, as BSkyB just didn't care about it, it might be a good idea to use something, that is linked to the CPCs history but that is not "Amstrad".

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CrookieMonster on 09:54, 05 March 24Although Lord Sugar is lending the name to a digital marketing company today, it doesn't necessarily mean he won't lend it to another idea tomorrow. But I'm sure he wouldn't seek to dampen enthusiasm for his older machines - he seems really proud of them.

Proud is a strong word. The computers were just another product. Why wouldn't people throw them away after 5 years and get a better one. Amstrad never quite understood what they had, the consumer loyalty or the brand they had built. All they knew is they needed more computers and more expensive and profitable ones. Hence the move to the business market.

Sugar frequently waves around his original Penpad like he'd invented the iPad or something. Whereas all of us know it was a barely working underpowered joke.

Let him get up to what he wants to but I wouldn't worry about Amstrad mk3 wanting anything more than a few publicity clicks off the back of the CPC.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dodogildo

Guys, 'Lord' Sugar was an opportunist and a pragmatist. (He has got every right to be so - I love capitalism) He most probably doesn't care about anything you and me love.  CPC greatness is on our shoulders now, not on his pyjamas wearing grandsons  :laugh:
M'enfin!

lmimmfn

Sugar was a businessman,he never cared about the CPC other than it being a product that disrupted the market(all in one solution with casette/diskdrive/monitor) and that brought in lots of £££.
6128 for the win!!!

lmimmfn

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:26, 05 March 24
Quote from: CrookieMonster on 09:54, 05 March 24Although Lord Sugar is lending the name to a digital marketing company today, it doesn't necessarily mean he won't lend it to another idea tomorrow. But I'm sure he wouldn't seek to dampen enthusiasm for his older machines - he seems really proud of them.

Proud is a strong word. The computers were just another product. Why wouldn't people throw them away after 5 years and get a better one. Amstrad never quite understood what they had, the consumer loyalty or the brand they had built. All they knew is they needed more computers and more expensive and profitable ones. Hence the move to the business market.

Sugar frequently waves around his original Penpad like he'd invented the iPad or something. Whereas all of us know it was a barely working underpowered joke.

Let him get up to what he wants to but I wouldn't worry about Amstrad mk3 wanting anything more than a few publicity clicks off the back of the CPC.
Couldn't help hearing the Chinny voice reading that lol, maybe an interesting video of Amstrad releasing the CPC range, not needing Ansoft snymore and just leaving it to consumers snd raking in the £££?

It was a common theme in 80s, Commodore did the same with the C64 and Amiga, maybe both companies should/could have tried to have their own games ahead of the curve with hardware tricks etc.?
6128 for the win!!!