News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retrospective 2023 (norecess.cpcscene.net)

Started by norecess464, 02:34, 15 December 23

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess464

Hello,

December is usually a good time to look back at what has been done in the year. Yep, we are finally there!

I just wrote a post on my personal website about what happened for me in 2023 regarding our common hobby: the Amstrad machines. :D

I insist on "for me", because it's not a global presentation of what happened to the Amstrad CPC community in term of productions this year etc.

It would enter the category "life of an Amstrad user in 2023" ahha! :)

The link: http://norecess464.weebly.com/news/retrospective-2023

Thanks,
Arnaud
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

HAL6128

Thanks for the impressions about your nice "Retro-Room".
Interesting Amiga 600. Have seen it (the 600) the first time and it seems to be quiet a nice device with also huge variance of expansion (of course... also with a big community). Very compact design and an integrated IDE, cool.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

norecess464

Quote from: HAL6128 on 10:25, 15 December 23Thanks for the impressions about your nice "Retro-Room".
Interesting Amiga 600. Have seen it (the 600) the first time and it seems to be quiet a nice device with also huge variance of expansion (of course... also with a big community). Very compact design and an integrated IDE, cool.
To be honest, it's a little more than a simple "retro room" -- it's actually a part of my real office for work loll (I work remotely fulltime). It was important for me to get an inspiring piece because I spend a large amount amount of my life in there (at least 8 hours/workdays). The challenge was: how do I place all those things, knowing that I don't want something that look like a teenager's room? (it sucks to be an adult ahah!).

Yeah the A600 was a machine that many people hated back then when it got released. But during the 2000s people realized it could be extended like crazy (I personally decided to stick with the original design, cf. not upgrading to a better/faster CPU chip, switching to HDMI video output with higher resolutions, etc etc). It became a really enviable machine IMO. Unlike in the Amstrad world (where I consider myself as a "power user"), I'm a simple user on the Classic Amiga. I know just enough to get in touch with the "overall culture" of the machine (and have lots of fun with its amazing demo/game/software library). I'm under the feeling that it could be as big/time consuming as the Amstrad world, so I don't want to spend more of my time on it.

Let me share you another photo, otherwise the overview would not be fully complete. If I turn the camera to another angle of the room, we can see my setup for consoles, "the other retro part of me" ahah ;)
I have: the Sega Genesis (with its crazy 32X/Sega CD expansion), the Sega Saturn, the Sega Dreamcast, the Nintendo NES, the Super NES, a Gameboy, a Sony PlayStation, a PSP and finally a XBOX. No CDs around, only SDCard-based stuff (please take your own conclusions ahah!). My definition of "Retro" stops at the Dreamcast/XBOX level. My favorite all-time console is the Sega Saturn, but I love all the stupid/idiot/amazing/impressive things Sega achieved with the Genesis expansions =) (it was a bag of very bad decisions back then, but it resulted an interesting twist from an historical perspective IMO).
And yes, I guess lots of people here will recognize the poster on the wall hehe

I acquired all those consoles around ~2007. Back then in the local ads in Montreal, the Dreamcast was 40$CAD, same for the Saturn... and basically the same range of prices for everything else (and no shipping !!!). The fantastic TV (Sony Trinitron !!! the best 1999 had to offer loll) was 15$CAD :) It's just so crazy how prices skyrocketed; nowadays it would be impossible for me to acquire once again those jewels.

I also got many other machines in the past: a C64, an Amiga CD32, a NeoGeoCD and a TurboDuo... I got them at a time where I wished to discover "everything". But I ended to sell them, because I realized I went too far. With retro stuff, it's important to put limits. I decided myself to stick only to the machines that I feel truly connected with, with a great replay value, and not for the simple act of "collecting".

So, that's it. Now you get the full-picture of my retro-life ahah! Only Xmas times would permit that  :D

(ps. @Gryzor feel free to move the entire thread somewhere else if you think this is not at the right location in the forum.)

My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Gryzor

Yeah, it's not terribly on-topic, but there's no other relevant section either... 

lmimmfn

Very nice setup!!!
I know you want to keep the A600 stock but for WHDLoad games and just Amiga in general a 68030 is the best setup. I still have my trusty Blizzard IV 68030/50 since 94 or 95 for my A1200. Although ive gone overboard pimping that out(black case, black mechanical keys, Vampire, CF & SD card and PCMCIA CF card).

Unfortunately i dont have room in my office to put my Amiga, 6128 or the Mrs Atari 7800, would be awesome though.
6128 for the win!!!