News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Freaking boot time

Started by MacDeath, 23:31, 14 February 12

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

My brand new PC is so slow, I must wait perhaps more than 2 minute to have my windows get its shit together...

Mac vs PC (1987 vs. 2011) (HD)

I do remember when this was faster...

fastest boot up - shut down

awergh

Sounds like you forgot to reformat to get rid of all the OEM crap that comes with OEM computers.

remax

With a SSD drive, my Windows boot superfast.
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

Sure, if you run 98SE...  :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Xyphoe

Quote from: remax on 22:52, 17 February 12
With a SSD drive, my Windows boot superfast.

You speak the truth - solid state drives are the way to go! Windows boots in seconds.

Sucks you are stuck on a laptop though MacDeath with Windows, I'd personally blitz it and install Linux - or the one I use for some music stuffs ... I installed XP SP2 and stripped it right down to the bone, boots in about 20-30secs after Win login screen.

remax

Quote from: TotO on 09:05, 18 February 12
Sure, if you run 98SE...  :laugh:

Windows Seven : 17 seconds between pressing power button and being able to do something.

Quote from: Xyphoe on 05:52, 24 February 12
You speak the truth - solid state drives are the way to go! Windows boots in seconds.

Sucks you are stuck on a laptop though MacDeath with Windows, I'd personally blitz it and install Linux - or the one I use for some music stuffs ... I installed XP SP2 and stripped it right down to the bone, boots in about 20-30secs after Win login screen.

Agree!
Brain Radioactivity

TFM

Still 10 times slower than my trusty CPC :-P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

SSDs are super, but Windows 7's WinSxS folder keeps gobbling up space like there's no tomorrow. It's unbelievable, what the MS devs were thinking...

andycadley

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:40, 27 February 12
SSDs are super, but Windows 7's WinSxS folder keeps gobbling up space like there's no tomorrow. It's unbelievable, what the MS devs were thinking...
WinSxS isn't nearly as big as it looks, or as people think. It's mostly hard links to files elsewhere on the drive. The reason it exists is because it makes patching a lot faster and a lot more reliable.

Gryzor

I know it's mostly hard links, but the OS sees them as taking up real space on the disk. I've never hit my disk's limit up to now, but I'm afraid of what will happen if and when...

TFM

Well, just do a backup right now  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus