News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Help with Tatung Einstein 256 joystick port

Started by Garrettimus, 12:16, 27 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrettimus

Dear friends,

I got myself a Tatung Einstein 256 computer, a "new old stock" machine. Everything's perfect, but I can't get my joysticks to work with it. Do you guys know whether or not the joystick connector is Atari-compliant? Or, as with ZX Spectrum +2 and +3, the connections are different?

Here's a video I did showing the Einstein:

Demonstração do Tatung Einstein 256 on Vimeo

Thanks!

TFM

This machine has a Dual digital joystick port.

You should be careful what you connect.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Garrettimus

Well, I tried 3 different Atari-based joysticks and got no response at all.

ralferoo

I'd never really heard of the Tatung before, so I just googled. It seems the joystick ports actually provide pins for joystick, printer and other IO, so it'll be unlikely to just work with a normal joystick. As TFM/FS suggests, be careful you don't break it!

This page mentions a joystick adaptor, so you might want to contact them to find out more information: Miscelleanous

I also found a brand new one for sale in the UK, although £189 is too high a price for me (especially as I'd never heard of these things until today!): If anyone's interested: tatung Einstein 256 computer * ONE only left BRAND NEW* SEE INFORMATION BELOW |

Gryzor

Garrettimus

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:50, 27 March 12
A NOS Einstein? Photos, please!!!

The one I bought is a new old stock.  :D

Here: TatungEinstein pictures by garrettimus - Photobucket

Gryzor

That's what I'm saying! NOS=New Old Stock :)

Great photos, you lucky guy... can I ask how much you spent on it?

Garrettimus

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:21, 27 March 12
That's what I'm saying! NOS=New Old Stock :)

Great photos, you lucky guy... can I ask how much you spent on it?

I bought mine off of that same seller.  ;)

I forgot to tell you guys that now my CPC 6128 has a built-in 3.5" disk drive.  ;D

ralferoo

Been doing some more reading... they do indeed sound quite nice, and you'll probably find answers to your joystick questions here Tatung Einstein Manuals and more specifically http://www.tatungeinstein.co.uk/images/hardwaremanual.zip on page 67

fatbob

You could always try here IPMS.

I bought one off him a couple of years ago - at that time it was a lot less than the ones going on ebay.

He had unopened Einstein 256's that he opened up and tested for 24 hours before sending out, also had some of the colour monitors for sale (the 256 takes its power from the monitor).

Garrettimus

Quote from: fatbob on 19:32, 27 March 12
You could always try here IPMS.

I bought one off him a couple of years ago - at that time it was a lot less than the ones going on ebay.

He had unopened Einstein 256's that he opened up and tested for 24 hours before sending out, also had some of the colour monitors for sale (the 256 takes its power from the monitor).

Thank you very much, will do that.  :D

fatbob

If you have the Einstein 256 manual it has the joystick pinouts on page 1ix.

It says they should work work with  Atari or MSX joysticks - The only games that I have used joysticks with were the Kjonami Collection Games.

Pinouts:
Pin 1 = UP
Pin 2 = DOWN
Pin 3 = LEFT
Pin 4 = RIGHT
Pin 5 = +5v
Pin 6 = Fire 1
Pin 7 = Fire 2
Pin 8 = Output 1 or 2 depending which port is used
Pin 9 = 0

Garrettimus

I talked to John from B&H Computers. It turns out that, indeed, Atari-type joysticks won't work with the Einstein 256. A special modification must be done for them to work.

Thank you all!

Bryce

Well you could make a simple adapter that fits between the computer and Joystick, much like you need to do on the Spectrum +2/+3. that way you still have a Joystick that works on your other computers.

Bryce.

TFM

Yes, and you create the adapter only once. But you can use all kinds of joysticks.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus