News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hyperkin Retron 5 plays the cartridges of nine classic consoles

Started by Gryzor, 19:27, 25 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I'll be damned if I don't want one, even though I don't need it.
[attachimg=1]
Hyperkin has developed a reputation for modern takes on legendary game consoles that are often better than the real thing. If true, its just-unveiled Retron 5 is a nostalgia singularity. The hardware emulator can use its namesake five cartridge slots to play original games from no less than nine vintage consoles, including the Genesis (Megadrive), NES (Famicom), SNES (Super Famicom) and GameBoys from the original through to the GameBoy Advance. It keeps going: there's a custom Bluetooth controller that can handle every system, mix-and-match original controller support, save states and upscaling for both video (to 720p, through HDMI) as well as audio. While we'll have to see just how well the Retron 5 works whenever it exists as more than a conceptual graphic, that opportunity may come quickly when Hyperkin is tentatively shooting for a July release at less than $100. About all that's left for a follow-up Retron are Jaguar and Turbografx 16 slots -- pretty please?

Hyperkin Announcement of Retron 5 at MGC 2013

(from Hyperkin Retron 5 plays the cartridges of nine classic consoles (video))

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

beaker

The only clone I bought was that Blaze Megadrive thing which was utter crap.... The sound is off, there are graphical glitches and Street Fighter from cartridge crashes almost immediately.... it's a nice idea but I am wary  :(

Also I am going the opposite way and bought the CRT to play my old consoles on, they just look so much better on it :)

redbox

Quote from: beaker on 20:46, 25 March 13
Also I am going the opposite way and bought the CRT to play my old consoles on, they just look so much better on it :)

Amen to that.

720p HDMI upscale...?  Just buy a CRT!!!