News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Legend of Grimrock

Started by Gryzor, 14:20, 17 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Any Dungeon Master/Chaos Strikes Back fans in here?

Was playing Legend of Grimrock yesteday, really nice, at least the beginning. Interesting trivia: the programmer integrated the old-school arrow control scheme when a disabled fan asked him to... :)

ervin

Yeah, I've tried it for a short while.
(Just downloaded a little while ago).

It's looking really nice so far.

However, I'm hooked on the wonderful Silversword on iOS.
Absolutely stunning Bards Tale "homage".
Could easily pass as Bards Tale 4.

Gryzor

Well, I haven't played Silversword, but if these are the graphics I would definitely pass, even if I had an i-device. Really off-putting...

Loved Bard's Tale, btw! It all seemed so magical back then! On a CPC? Wow. Just like, erm... what was that other RPG thas showed your team sideways?

MacDeath

I recently re-played Ultima underworld (which i played in the early 90's) last week (still playing it actually), so this kind of stuff is old news...

;)

Might and magic 6&later would have a word with you too.

My brother used to play Bard's tale on our EGA, but I never went into it... He also played the Golden Box games...(pool of radiance)

I was more into Might and magic 3-4-5 (then the rest) and Eyes of the Beholder (1 & 2) series... (more graphics).

Diablo2 was a kool almost action game (closer to Gauntlet)

Baldur's Gate (1&2) is still one of my fave "comfort game" (like comfort food).

WoW is nice too... actually, but not really the same kind of game after all, I mean the RPG aspect was blended.
I have the chance to play it on a good private server... buggy but free.

"RPG" were quite rare on CPC...
It was more an American or Japanese stuff...

In france we had a lot of adventure games, yet UbiSoft almost did some proper RPGs/dungeons bashers...

Bard's Tale was a great game, but sadly the CPC version was "poorly ported" from the C64.

It should have had some graphics inspired by the sweet EGA version IMO.

Seems like bloodwych is one of the best thing we had close to a dungeon master/Eyes of the beholder...

Yet they screewed it with this so small game window (designed to play with 2 parties).

good old UbiSoft in Mode1...

Sadly I think the 8 bit limitation is not good to have a deep character and equipment managements with lots of stuffs.
or is it not ?

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:18, 18 April 12
Sadly I think the 8 bit limitation is not good to have a deep character and equipment managements with lots of stuffs.
or is it not ?
Well, these Gold Box games were released for the C64:
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades

Gateway to the Savage Frontier

Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn

Hillsfar

If the C64 could do it, the CPC certainly could (with a faster drive). It's a shame these have never been released for the CPC. Now, if these sources were available, I'd really have a go at it!
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Sorry for the "advertisment"
Some time ago I set up a group for Role Play Gaming on CPC. You may find the files-section of interrest. Or you even may like to add some CPC proggies?

Gerelakos : Role Play Games for the Amstrad CPC.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

QuoteIf the C64 could do it, the CPC certainly could (with a faster drive). It's a shame these have never been released for the CPC.
yeah, those SCUMM games and RPG were so american that we couldn't have them on our European machines...

But I was more talking about something more like Might and Magic 3-4-5 or even Eyes of the Beholder...

Who combines lots of graphics and lots of content, rules and so on (not just a "text based" characters managment interface)

Optimus

Primary reason I have not been working, coding, replying to emails/forums the last three days is Grimrock. I anticipated the release and it turns out to be much more addictive than I'd thought. I was in love with the Eye of the Beholder series on PC but never played the father of all, Dungeon Master. Game seems to take more influences from Dungeon Master (food, magic runes, torches, etc) than Eye of the Beholder so it makes me curious to download the Windows ports of Dungeon Master series and try them out.

I've already finished Grimrock once and went through a second play, being more cautious with what skills I choose now and trying to find more secrets. There are 10 iron doors, 7 hidden treasures (I have only found 1 in first play!), secret sublevels, much more to discover in the second play, and I read somewhere that you can play a special mode with the hidden character Toorum. So, a third play would be essential.

My favorite oldschool type of game are these kinds of Dungeon Crawlers. I am so happy about this game and I heard there might be modding too (imagine a remake of classic eye of the beholder in this engine).

TFM

I had a quick look at it: It remembers my about "Black Land" on CPC, since characters to moves in steps. Quite nice game it seems to be.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

@Optimus: finished it already? How hard is it?

Did you play it with the arrows? Auto-mapping?

Optimus

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:37, 19 April 12
@Optimus: finished it already? How hard is it?

Did you play it with the arrows? Auto-mapping?

Yep, finished it and then finished it again for a second time finding most of the secrets and getting more levels (your characters can go mostly to 13rd or 14th level in one play), and the third time I tried the special mode where you get Toorum. I was playing in easy difficulty first time and then in normal. The difficulty is still fair. Even at the end. The final boss is great!

I play with the keyboard, moving fast and sliding near the enemies like I did with original eye of the beholder. I haven't seen the arrows mode yet. Auto-mapping is on but I guess I'll try with auto-mapping off next time. The maps though are quite distinctive, it's not a wild labyrinth like in EOB1.

Next time I will try hardest difficulty and pick other skills I haven't tried. I have seen in a walkthrough site that there are special achievement badges, but I haven't seen any of them in the PC version? Maybe only on Ipad?

Optimus

Needless to say I was motion sicknessed after playing for 8 hours straight yesterday. I have finished it so far four times and I am just playing it again to try different skills/character configurations and find all the secrets I didn't before. I decided I should stop playing for three days now, because I was so dizzy yesterday never before with a game, and should do other things in my life for a while, but that's how awesome I found this game!

TFM

Well, you got a flexible job. I wished to have that too.  :)  That game seems really to be catching.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft