News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New method for restoring yellowed retro plastics?

Started by Gryzor, 14:25, 26 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

This one sounds much easier, though I don't know about how permanent it is:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=31469

Bryce

Oh, got to try that! The Schwarzkopf products are easier to get than the Retrobrite ingredients and are safer and easier to work with too.

That said, call me mad, but a few weeks ago, I spent the entire weekend trying to make white plastic go yellow :D I needed to add a panel to an old computer that had yellowed quite a bit. The owner didn't want it bleached back to white, but wanted the new panel to have the same amount of yellowing so that it matched the computer :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

"Hey, here's my car, it's missing a wheel, but no biggie, I like it like that, so in fixing it please do remove the other three wheels.".

Ohhhh-kaaaay...

But yes, those are much easier to get. Must make a trip to the super market. Dunno about the "safer" part, I don't remember anything being particularly biohazardous...?

Bryce

No, the problem was that it was an Atari 800XL with yellowing. If you used retrobrite on it, it would end up being whiter than the original was, so he decided the yellow/cream colour was preferable.

The retrobrite mixture includes Hydrogen peroxide (12% in it's "pure" form) which may not be classed as a biohazardous chemical, but it's definitely not something you want to take lightly.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I thought you use peroxide for hair dye, too :D

Yes, you're right. Here in Greece hydrogen peroxide solutions are harmless, but I forgot this is not always the case; my dad had told me how, when studying in Switzerland he needed to apply some on his hand. Not knowing it was really dense he just used it as it was. As a result he was left with a white spot for several years afterwards...

Ah yes, I can see the point about the 800XL. As with three-wheeled cars (what was the British one called? Robin-something?)

Bryce

Reliant Robin.

Bryce.

Gryzor

My GOD what a silly name. But it figures, I guess :D

beaker

Please, it was an awsome car  :laugh:

Jeremy drives a Reliant Robin (series 15, episode 1) - BBC Top Gear

Going to have to give that solution a try on my brown Atari 1040Stf I bought a few weeks back, nice find Gryzor  :D

EgoTrip

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:39, 26 June 12
I thought you use peroxide for hair dye, too :D

Yep, and the company who make that stuff also actually make hair dyes

Gryzor

@beaker: ohhh I think I've watched that. Also, wasn't it the car that was the arch-nemesis of Mr Bean?
@Egotrip: I thought those two *were* hair-dying products?

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 15:00, 26 June 12That said, call me mad, but a few weeks ago, I spent the entire weekend trying to make white plastic go yellow :D I needed to add a panel to an old computer that had yellowed quite a bit.
Using Tea?  ???
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:48, 27 June 12
@beaker: ohhh I think I've watched that. Also, wasn't it the car that was the arch-nemesis of Mr Bean?

That's right, blimey I can't believe I forgot about it in Mr Bean, thanks for reminding me  ;D

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 23:19, 27 June 12
Using Tea?  ???

No, I used heat (an oven) and a UV lamp. It worked a bit, but it was totally unpredictable :(

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 12:56, 28 June 12
No, I used heat (an oven) and a UV lamp. It worked a bit, but it was totally unpredictable :(

Bryce.

As in, it melted and then set your house on fire? Or did it turn #FFB5C5?

ced64k

I'm not 100% sure but I think theses products content hydrogen peroxide too.

Edit: Igora Royal = hydrogen peroxide and  Igora Vario Blond = bleach

Gryzor

Yes, they do, that's what we're talking about!

Devlin

Better to be buying hair care products than "pure" chemicals which could probably get you put on $government's watch list...
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:17, 28 June 12
As in, it melted and then set your house on fire? Or did it turn #FFB5C5?

No it did actually go yellowish but not evenly, I only heated it to about 50°C so not even close to melting, then it went under the UV lamp. Some parts were more of a #dbcf9e, whereas other parts were more of a fff1b8 and some parts didn't seem to change at all. The problem seems to be getting the amount of UV light evenly spread across the entire part. You can only do this by having an array of lights or being further away from the light source, which then means that it would take months to work.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Bryce

Our local Sun Studio has a sign: "No food, drinks or 8-bit computers may be taken into the cabins" :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Drat. What if you put a 68k in there, a-la Atari Jaguar or CPC472?

Bryce

I thought of that. I disconnected D7 so that it's 7-bit, but I'm not sure that will work.

Bryce.