News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Open Pandora

Started by Ynot.zer0, 11:28, 10 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

I just pre-ordered one of these, should be with me in 6 weeks-ish.  I'll then work out if I can run Amstrad EMU on it (it seems to be able to run many other EMUs, so in theory should be good).  I like the idea of an Amstrad-in-my-pocket (with a 10hr battery life!)

Ygdrazil

Interesting stuff, I look forward to news on running an Amstrad EMU on that thingy! ;D

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: ynot.zer0 on 11:28, 10 March 12
I just pre-ordered one of these, should be with me in 6 weeks-ish.  I'll then work out if I can run Amstrad EMU on it (it seems to be able to run many other EMUs, so in theory should be good).  I like the idea of an Amstrad-in-my-pocket (with a 10hr battery life!)

rexbeng

Hello. I already have one from the first batch and the CPC emulator I use runs fine. Also I find it very good for gaming since there are two sticks, a pad and a full pack of buttons on it - now that I come to think of it, it may be the best way to play the new R-Type. I have to give it a try  :P

One thing that bothers me a bit is the screen resolution, as the 800X480 means that there's not enough room to properly display the CPC's vertical resolution (in full screen it would mean that you need 544 pixels in height to display a full screen mode 2 screen), so there's a bit of distortion in mode 2 (effectively characters are 8X7 pixels rather than 8X8) and there's also a nasty bug on the top part of the screen whenever there's graphics displayed in overcan (I tested it with Batman Begins which on all other acounts ran fine).

I must admit though that I haven't been using the CPC emulator on the Pandora lately, so there may be some updates for it, or a few new emulators even, perhaps solving the top-screen-overscan-bug. But I don't expect the screen issue to having being gone, unless your Pandora comes with a different sceeen  :D

In anycase, this could be the definite pocket CPC for taking to parties and stuff ;)

regards,
rb

Optimus

Oh, Pandora! Rex, I didn't know you had a Pandora. I wanted to get mine but something happened with the money I send years ago (I don't want to think about) and now the new batch is quite expensive. As for CPC, a GPH Caanoo or Dingoo A320 is enough. I had great fun playing Star Sabre or Bubble Bobble remake recently on my Caanoo and even tried the TV out (it's not given in the box, I used the cable from old GP2X and it works, haha) and works greatly with the CPC emulator (a Caprice port).

I thought the mode 2 resolution was 640*200 and the overscan mode went to 272. Of course 544 is the double number, but maybe you get distortion because of the stretching to fullscreen? 800*480 is more than enough to render CPC with borders I think. Or am I missing something?

rexbeng

@Optimus: think square pixels, mate. In mode 2 the pixels are double on their vertical size, so in order to properly display on a screen consisting of square pixels the ratio would be 1:2.

rb

TFM

Pandora seems to be a nice project. But like the CPC Plus it's a "too little too late" thing. The cpu is weak the screen is with 4.3" too small. Ok, it fits into my pants, guess I leave it there. The screen would IMHO need at least 7". But if you have good eyes, ok then  ;)

However the open architecture is the biggest gain here :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Promoting "Free open system" by showing emulated copyrighted games/hardware was always a nonsense for me.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I like that machine, and I always thought that running computer emulators on a touch screen is really awkward. Console emulation is fine as long as you have hardware buttons (again, not touch buttons), but for computers you really need a little keyboard.

That said...€440????? Wtf... I'll stay with my Yinlips, thanks...

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:55, 12 March 12
That said...€440? ??? ? Wtf... I'll stay with my Yinlips, thanks...

Yes, it is a little bit expensive (okay a lot expensive), but I've been after a tiny laptop for >10years.  I was once offered a japanese IBM thinkpad that is about the size of Pandora, way back in around 1996 - I've been after something like it ever since.  As I spend a lot of time on planes a big and bulky laptop is not very practical, especially when the person in front decides to recline their seat, I have to have eyes in my stomach to be able to see the screen!... I'm hoping that with the Pandora (and a magnifying glass) I'll be more than okay using it as a mini-linux computer with the added bonus that I'll be able to switch to "game" mode for when I've had enough of the day job..... and when I've had enough of Parappa-the-rapper I can fire up a CPC emulator for some R-Type action!
But as you say, it is quite expensive for what you get.  These people are not Apple / Sony / etc... so they haven't got the bargaining power to reduce costs, so it costs what it costs.  Originally, I was going to purchase a 10" Android tablet.... my main reason for not doing so was the lack of keyboard (as you mention Gryzor).
Worst case scenario, it's not very good for what I need.  In that case I'll figure out a way to somehow graft it into the dashboard of my custom hot-rod  8)