News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Prince of Persia C64!

Started by sigh, 18:55, 16 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

khisanth

strange that it never got a C64 release

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Oh yes, so much different colors, all the different tunes.... stop, that was another video  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

Ok let's compare then.

Warning : lots of video, please check your flash filter.

C64 :

Amstrad CPC :

Atari ST :

Various :

IBM PC CGA graphic+beeper & MsDos

Actually one of the poorest version because... CGA kind of sucked anyway.

ZX Speccy 128K :

To be fair I think it wasn't an official release but a Russian clone...
Oh BTW a poorer version than CGA version too... they simply culdn't get no colour clashes or else they would think it were not az speccy game perhaps.
Colour clashes are a trademark, not a flaw... :D

BTW this game is decent and good on all versions...
the Amstrad one was a particulary good 8bit one too.
But the musics are a lot too much like beeper's ports...

Hell they could have got the intro tune like on Atari ST but it would have been heavier and it is an old game anyway.
Sounds like a 1 channel music.

The video here is a little blurry.

I think at the time they wanted the version to be at least as good as on PC or else didn't released it.
That's why the Speccy version is not official and the C64 version is a modern remake, wasn't released at the time.

Because it was quite difficult to get it right at the time on a C64, nowadays, the coders are passionate, know a lot of tricks and took a lot of dedication and time to do it well.

Hence speccy version is a joke IMO.
But ok it seems to work well gameplaywise.

Ok, let's see more exotic stuffs too :

AppleII :

They use the composite trick I guess.
Oh, in honnor of Steve Jobs of course.. ;)

NEC PC 9801 :
Yeah those NEC computers were often something like a mode2  display with 8 colours (640x200x8) if I remember well... Well not exactly in this case, but actually those japanese computers always had a far superior resolution+colours (had to display their hiragana/kita/kanji and so on... not just romaji)
There it must be in 640x400x8 or something... lot's of interesting fine textures and ditherings, and probably CD--Rom version too.

Why IBM screwed that much the CGA and EGA standards is beyond my mind.
EGA version in Hi-Res 640x350x16 could have been so awesome... >:(

Yeah, or just imagine good old CPC with a 640x200x4 mode available... :P

ralferoo

You've left out the best of them all (bar the 360 remake) - the Amiga version!
Amiga - Prince of Persia
EDIT: actually, I'd never seen the Genesis version. That looks pretty nice, better than the Amiga one after all...

remax

Why exotic for the apple II? It was the original version!
Brain Radioactivity

MaV

The PC had a VGA version as well. That together with a proper sound card was what I played. And it was awesome!

TFM

Well, IMHO the Amiga version is the worst. Nice intro, but the game itself is grey in grey and nothing but grey. Just ugly. A shame for a 32 bit computer.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

villain

Even if the Speccy never got an official conversion, the Sam Coupe did. And this one was really great:

Prince of Persia

TFM

Quote from: villain on 18:05, 19 October 11
Even if the Speccy never got an official conversion, the Sam Coupe did. And this one was really great:

Prince of Persia

Sure, 512 KB and 8 MHz help a bit ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I have actually played the SAM version on my own machine, a highly-enjoyable experience!

Back on topic, the c64 palette notwithstanding, he did an excellent job!

ralferoo

Jordan Mechner's blog (typed in from his paper diary whilst writing PoP) is really quite interesting reading... http://jordanmechner.com/category/old-journals/

MacDeath

Wasn't the amiga version an AtariST port ?

Well, I had no time to find every version ever, and to post Amiga one was so... mundane. :D

ralferoo

I'm not sure. Reading Jordan's blogs suggests that the same graphics were commissioned for Amiga, ST, IBM VGA and CPC (!): http://jordanmechner.com/old-journals/1990/01/january-31-1990/

However, when I saw the ST version of youtube my first reaction was that it was much uglier than I remembered as it seemed to have a reduced palette. I then checked youtube for the Amiga and it looked as awesome as I remembered.

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:55, 19 October 11
Well, IMHO the Amiga version is the worst. Nice intro, but the game itself is grey in grey and nothing but grey. Just ugly. A shame for a 32 bit computer.
Because the first 16-bit port (Amiga/ST/PC) was made without redrawing ingame Gfx... Yes, Amiga was not 32bit at this time.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SyX

I have played to the C64 version and although i prefer the CPC version, is a nice conversion, but... for playing in a C64 you will need an EasyFlash (a cartridge flashable from the C64, how our MegaFlash ;)) and the game takes almost 512 KBs (the EF has 1 megabyte)  ;)

MaV

Quote from: SyX on 17:17, 20 October 11
I have played to the C64 version and although i prefer the CPC version, is a nice conversion, but... for playing in a C64 you will need an EasyFlash (a cartridge flashable from the C64, how our MegaFlash ;) ) and the game takes almost 512 KBs (the EF has 1 megabyte)  ;)

I'll keep that in mind for the next time some C64 user whines about CPC demos for 128k.

redbox

Quote from: MaV on 17:38, 20 October 11
I'll keep that in mind for the next time some C64 user whines about CPC demos for 128k.

Definitely.

Maybe it's time to show them what a Plus can do with 512kb of cartridge.

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 20:00, 20 October 11
Definitely.

Maybe it's time to show them what a Plus can do with 512kb of cartridge.

No, we didn't show them for 20 years. Leave it like it is. Let them die birdbrained. Some mothers have them  8)
TFM of FutureSoft

kawickboy

mac an later releases (megadrive, mega-cd, snes...) use cartoon graphics-style (like prince of persia 2). gameboy, gamegear & master system versions are more accurate.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/prince-of-persia/screenshots

sigh

Quote from: SyX on 17:17, 20 October 11
I have played to the C64 version and although i prefer the CPC version, is a nice conversion, but... for playing in a C64 you will need an EasyFlash (a cartridge flashable from the C64, how our MegaFlash ;) ) and the game takes almost 512 KBs (the EF has 1 megabyte)  ;)

Why is this? I'm sure they could of done it the CPC way with (long) loading levels and put it on tape? 512 seems quite a lot. Was the CPC version the same size?

SyX

Quote from: sigh on 19:30, 16 January 12Why is this? I'm sure they could of done it the CPC way with (long) loading levels and put it on tape? 512 seems quite a lot. Was the CPC version the same size?
The CPC version only use one side of a disk :) Is the C64 cheating? Could it be more efficient? Well, we are not in kan...80s anymore  ;D , if i had a C64, i would have a EZ Cartridge and i will enjoy at last PoP in my breadbin, in the same way that i have a MegaFlash and i'm using it a lot... but my nerd-points go to the CPC version  ;D

If you are more interested in know how the game was made, the author has a blog explaining how he made it, basically the game is made in bitmap mode and when you use a c64 in its not most native way (tiles + sprites) then the ram disappears very fast. Before to the rise of the flash cartridges, the author began to use the REU (a C64 RAM Expansion), the only sensible way of making it a playable game. If i understood well, without those, the game would flicker (and another annoying screen artifacts, always a not for me) and you will need to make loads each a few screens, not each level, and everybody know how "fast" are the c64 disk drives :P

sigh

Make loads each SCREEN :o ?!?!

Never played the disk version, but I had the CPC version on tape and it loaded per level.