News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

So you wanna buy a Linux/Android console?

Started by Gryzor, 08:10, 13 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Not strictly retro-related, but with all those emulators out there...

So, if you're in the market for a handheld other than a Vita/whatever, you may want to visit Open Consoles Moteur de Recherche . You can filter through all the consoles out there according to your criteria - bot hardware and software, including what emulators it runs. Pretty nice :)

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

robcfg

Meh...

For me the Ouya is dead on arrival as it took them tooo long to manufacture it, so that if you wait a bit more, you'll get more powerful hardware.

And you know, as I spent most time in front of a computer, I'll just use emulators on my PC, no real need for another gadget.

That's my 2 cents  8)

Gryzor

I loved Ouya when it was announced on KS, but as Rob said, it's old by now. Too bad.

But the interesting thing is there are lots and lots of Android devices, very powerful and at very low prices that can do what Ouya can do. Stick a $80 PC-on-a-stick to your TV and presto, a real smart TV with lots and lots of features... I love Android.

Bryce

I think some of these projects such as Ouya get announced way too early in the development timeline. By the time a reliable finished product is available, many have already tired of the idea and moved on. Price has also a lot to do with it. If the price point is too high, only a few fanatics will buy one. The Raspberry Pi (although a completely different type of device) is a good example of how it (a project) should be done. They announced the device quite early too, however, they were able to price it within a range that many chose to buy one just out of curiosity.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, to be fair, Ouya is not expensive.

Bryce

Hmm, you're right, for some reason I had a completely different price in my head (must be those voices again).

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

My Ouya is winging it's way over the pond at the moment - I'll let you know what's it's like when it arrives... and if I can get a CPC Emulator running on it properly or not  ;D

Gryzor

Why wouldn't you? It's pure Android, isn't it?