News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adding Arkos Tracker 2 Music to CPCTelera 1.5 Projects - a HOWTO guide

Started by Typhon, 22:03, 06 April 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhon

This is a HOWTO on how I added Arkos Tracker 2 Music to my CPCTelera game NibblerDX (see attached DSK), as there is a bit of confusion on how to do it. Warning, this is a WALL OF TEXT.

Adding Arkos Tracker 2 Music to a CPCTelera 1.5 project.

Links of Reference:

1. https://64nops.wordpress.com/2020/12/20/easy-integration-of-arkos-tracker-2-player-with-cpctelera/
2. http://www.julien-nevo.com/arkostracker/index.php/using-a-song-in-production-using-any-assembler/
3. http://www.memoryfull.net/articles/64nops/arkos2.zip

Note that even though I personally am using Linux, for simplicity's sake, I will keep the references in the links above to long Windows-style filenames intact. The missive below covers the procedure you need to follow to add Music/Sound Effects, as I have done for my game NibblerDX.

You will need:
1. Music Song File you wish to incorporate, in AKS format.
2. Sound Effects Song File, also in AKS format.
3. Access to your Arkos Tracker 2 directory.
4. Access to the arkos2.zip file mentioned above.

I am using Rabbit.aks by Mr Lou from indiegamemusic.com in this example (he has very kindly given me permission to use it in NibblerDX).

To begin with, we will follow the steps in Link (2).

1. In Arkos Tracker 2, export both Song Files above, as AKM Minimalist Format, and stick the resulting asm files in a working directory somewhere, remembering what you called them. Just use the standard export options that Arkos Tracker 2 selects for you. Note that for each song file, you will end up with *two* asm files. So for the Music and Song files, you will have <songname>.asm and <songname>_playerconfig.asm for each.
2. Now, this next step is *missing* from the tutorial above. Go into your Arkos Tracker 2 directory, and find the /players/playerAkm/sources/ directory. From this, copy the PlayerAkm.asm *and* PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm files into your working directory above.
3. Back in your working directory, as the tutorial states, create a CompileAT2Files.asm. You will need to include each asm file generated in step 1 *and* both the PlayerAkm* files from Step 2. Here's an example of a working CompileAT2Files.asm file for the CPC. Ignore all the stuff about disabling sound effects for now.

;Compiles the player, the music and sfxs, using RASM.
;No ORG needed.

;This is the music, and its config file.
include "rabbit.asm"
include "rabbit_playerconfig.asm" ;Optional.

;This is the sfxs, and its config file. 
include "soundeffects.asm"
include "soundeffects_playerconfig.asm"  ;Optional.

;What hardware? Uncomment the right one.
;PLY_AKG_HARDWARE_MSX = 1       
;PLY_AKG_HARDWARE_SPECTRUM = 1
;PLY_AKG_HARDWARE_PENTAGON = 1

;Comment/delete this line if not using sound effects.
PLY_AKG_MANAGE_SOUND_EFFECTS = 1

;This is the player.
include "PlayerAkm.asm"
include "PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm"

4. Compile this using rasm (v1.8 is fine), for example:

../../rasm/rasm_linux64 CompileAT2Files.asm -o UniversalAt2Files -s -sl -sq

A successful compilation will result in *two* UniversalAt2Files.* files, a bin file and a sym file.

5. Now go back into the Arkos Tracker 2 directory, and under the /tools/ subdirectory, grab the Disark executable and copy it into your working directory. Use this tool as follows:

./Disark UniversalAt2Files.bin At2Files.asm --symbolFile UniversalAt2Files.sym --sourceProfile sdcc

So now after all that palaver we now have an At2Files.asm we can use goingforward. And now we switch over to the steps mentioned in Link (1).

6. From the arkos2.zip file in Link (3), grab sound.h and sound.c and stick them into your source/header directories as appropriate.

7. Create an arkos2 subdirectory in your source directory, and inside it, you will want the ArkosPlayer2.h and ArkosPlayer2_cbinding.s files. You will *not* want the PlayerAkm.asm file from the zip for reasons that will become clear very shortly.

8. Remember the generated At2Files.asm file from Step 5? Which is your compiled player/songs file? You need to copy *that* into the arkos2 subdirectory above, and *rename* it PlayerAkm.asm (I know!). This is the actual file mentioned in the "GENERATION AND CREATION OF FILES COMPATIBLE WITH CPCTELERA" section of the Tutorial in Link (2)

9. Now follow the instructions to modify sound.c. You want to grab the labels from the now-called PlayerAkm.asm file and update them appropriately - to find out the labels, look at the PlayerAkm.asm file. You will see something like this:

RABBIT_START:
_RABBIT_START:

Thus change the symbols in sound.c to this sort of thing:

extern void* RABBIT_START;
extern void* SOUNDEFFECTS_START;

void InitSound()
{
   _fxChanged = 0;
   _songChanged = 0;

InitSFX(&SOUNDEFFECTS_START);
    InitMusic(&RABBIT_START);
}

10. The next step mentioned in the Tutorial in (1), about using an alternative music player, we don't need to worry about, as we're just using the AKM file already. So at this point, you will have a sound.c and sound.h file in your project source/header directories (as appropriate) and you will have a further arkos2 subdirectory in your source directory, which contains 3 files: rkosPlayer2.h, ArkosPlayer2_cbinding.s, and PlayerAkm.asm.

11. *Now* you this should actually compile when you next run make or whatever your compiler of choice is. If you end up with error messages about unknown symbols in ArkosPlayer2_cbinding.s, it will be because you will have forgotten to include the "PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm" file in Step 3.

12. Once it compiles, congratulations, you have got Arkos Tracker 2 files incorporated into your game. No, really, you have. Now to test this out, you need to do the following:

a) Early in your code, before you do much call InitSound(); (this is from sound.h/c).
   b) In your interrupt handler (or your main loop, but I prefer to use the interupt handler), call PlaySound(); - again from sound.h/c - but remember if you are using an interrupt handler only do so every 1/50 of a second; that is, every 6 interrupts (as interrupts fire every 1/300 of a second). The standard way of handling this is to use a static counter that counts from 0 to 5 repeatedly, and if this counter is 5 (or whatever) then call PlaySound();
   c) *Before* the interrupt is setup call PlayMusic(0); then and only *then* set up the interrupt handler.

13. Music will now play. But you are using interrupt handlers, you *will* end up with a crash when you disable the interrupt handler. That's because even though a C-binding to a Stop Music function is provided, none is given in sound.c/h. So add one:

void StopMusic() {
   PLAYER_ARKOS_STOP();
}

Make sure to call this *after* you disable the interrupt. Of course, in your code you are only going to play music/sound effects when toggled on.

And that's how I added Arkos Tracker 2 music to NibblerDX. All the intermediate steps you can find in the /collateral/sound directory of the source code. Feel free to pilfer it as needed. NibblerDX (and indeed the relevant arkos2.zip code) is open source under the GPL2/3.

*Phew*.

Comments and criticism welcome, and if other people find it useful, feel free to add it to the wiki etc.

mr_lou

Nice write-up!

Anything to help devs use Arkos Tracker 2 files is a most welcome help.

I remember trying to follow those tutorials as well when I wanted to add my Arkos Tracker 2 music to "Light Grid". I spent a tremendously amount of time trying to figure it out - but still ended up failing miserably. No matter what I did, the music just didn't play properly.
So in the end I gave up! And instead, I ended up manually editing the Arkos Tracker 2 XML file and changed it into an Arkos Tracker 1 file. Extremely tedius work - but easier than getting my Arkos Tracker 2 file playing properly.

After experiencing all the trouble with Arkos Tracker 2 music for cpcTelera, I decided I'd personally stop making Arkos Tracker 2 music. I want my CPC tracks to be easily usable by as many CPC devs as possible. So it was/is quite clear to me that I need to be creating Arkos Tracker 1 files instead of Arkos Tracker 2 files from now on.

Unfortunately Arkos Tracker 1 doesn't run on Linux. Arkos Tracker 2 doesn't export to Arkos Tracker 1 format. There exists no converter tools either, and there's no hope that anyone will ever add Arkos Tracker 2 support to cpcTelera native tools.
Nothing is ever easy.

So, as it often goes, I'm currently trying to find my own workaround, by making myself a little tool that converts my MOD files into Arkos Tracker 1 format. In other words: I'm creating a tool that'll let me create Amstrad CPC music with Milkytracker. Kinda like how Timidity is a tool that lets me create MIDI music with Milkytracker, and SNESMOD is a tool that lets me create Super Nintendo music with Milkytracker.
If all goes well it should finally result in more Amstrad music at IndieGameMusic in the near future - some that is a lot easier to include in a cpcTelera project. Fingers crossed.

Typhon

Alright, so upon further investigation, I need to figure out a way of pausing music, as simply not calling PLAYER_ARKOS_PLAY in the interrupt when music/sfx are switched off doesn't work cleanly - it sometimes leaves a constant dead sound until such time as the sound player is enabled again. Additionally, I note from the AT website that there's no way to have music decoupled from the sfx unless you have a second "silent" song.

Maybe its something to do with a sound queue/buffer? Is there anywhere in the minimalist AKM player that has the ability to clear this? I note that PLAYER_ARKOS_STOP only seems to be able to be called once. Is that correct?

Targhan

@Typhon This is excellent stuff! I contacted the person in charge of CPCtelera (via the email found on Github) but had no reply yet :(. I don't have time right now, but I'd like to help integrating AT2 (and soon AT3!) into CPCTelera in a seamless way.

QuoteAlright, so upon further investigation, I need to figure out a way of pausing music
As explained in the doc, calling the STOP method will cut the PSG sound, that's all you have to do (of course, don't call the PLAY method for as long as you don't want music).

QuoteAdditionally, I note from the AT website that there's no way to have music decoupled from the sfx unless you have a second "silent" song.
An alternative is to use the SFX stand-alone player. It is short and efficient, and it's the best solution if you never play music at any other point.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Typhon

As an aside, I vaguely recall that the CPCTelera author/maintainer is also registered and active (or has been) here on this forum.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Targhan on 11:03, 08 April 24@Typhon This is excellent stuff! I contacted the person in charge of CPCtelera (via the email found on Github) but had no reply yet :(. I don't have time right now, but I'd like to help integrating AT2 (and soon AT3!) into CPCTelera in a seamless way.

QuoteAlright, so upon further investigation, I need to figure out a way of pausing music
As explained in the doc, calling the STOP method will cut the PSG sound, that's all you have to do (of course, don't call the PLAY method for as long as you don't want music).

QuoteAdditionally, I note from the AT website that there's no way to have music decoupled from the sfx unless you have a second "silent" song.
An alternative is to use the SFX stand-alone player. It is short and efficient, and it's the best solution if you never play music at any other point.
@ronaldo i think this may be a matter of interest for you  8)

trocoloco

@Targhan, in Telegram there's a CPCTelera group,  you can find him there also

Typhon

As an side, there's a line of code missing from Step 3 above. Oops.

PLY_AKG_HARDWARE_CPC = 1