News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2018 : Fitzroy and the infestation

Started by awergh, 13:35, 11 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

awergh

Previously I would say I have been a little bit afraid to seek feedback because I wasn't quite sure what I would get  :o [size=78%]. [/size]
Anyway this time I decided that I should after all if I don't learn from mistakes I will just repeat them again.

I think my game suffered a bit from me working in a bit of a vacuum focusing almost exclusively on technical details.
I basically worked on making this work and worrying about having a fun game afterwards.
I also didn't have much input from anyone else on the actual game which probably shows as well.
So an interesting question (at least to me) is what could make the game more compelling?

I have however fixed a number of things from the CPCRetroDev build so its less buggy then that version although not necessarily bug free.
This version should also have less backtracking required to complete each level.
The game still suffers from some slow down and the enemy ai does seem to either be super annoying or braindead.
I feel its better to release something while it's fresh  :) .

Change log

v1.2

• Fixed bug where player weapons did not carry across levels.
  • Five units of bullet projectile ammo are carried across levels.
  • Fixed bug where killing an enemy could cause another enemy to stop.
  • Fixed bug where enemies would frequently block each other causing them to stop moving.
  • Fixed crash when using flamethrower or laser at the very edge of screen.
  • Fixed crash/graphical corruption from using flamethrower 1 pixel away from screen edge.
  • Fixed crash/graphical corruption due to miscalculation of laser projectile size against non-walled screen edge.
  • Updated game menu to use player key bindings.
  • Fixed bug where the transformer would be placed too far to the right of the segment.
v1.1

• Fixed bug where extra tiles where added on segment move potentially blocking part of the maze or crashing the game.
  • Fixed bug where the generator would be placed too far to the right of the segment.
  • Added version number to menu screen.
  • Added seed number to loading screen.
  • Fixed bug where a collision would be detected without an object overlap.
  • Fixed bug where graphical artefacts would be left on multi directional moves and item pickups
  • Fixed bug where Fitzroy could get stuck inside a solid cell.
  • Fixed bug where a bullet projectile remain on screen after a segment move.
  • Spanner now always spawns in the first maze block
  • Machinery can now be activated once reaching half the target item count
  • Test tubes are more common

Arnaud

jesusdelmas

Quote from: awergh on 13:35, 11 November 18
Previously I would say I have been a little bit afraid to seek feedback because I wasn't quite sure what I would get  :o [size=78%]. [/size]
Anyway this time I decided that I should after all if I don't learn from mistakes I will just repeat them again.

I think my game suffered a bit from me working in a bit of a vacuum focusing almost exclusively on technical details.
I basically worked on making this work and worrying about having a fun game afterwards.
I also didn't have much input from anyone else on the actual game which probably shows as well.
So an interesting question (at least to me) is what could make the game more compelling?

I have however fixed a number of things from the CPCRetroDev build so its less buggy then that version although not necessarily bug free.
This version should also have less backtracking required to complete each level.
The game still suffers from some slow down and the enemy ai does seem to either be super annoying or braindead.
I feel its better to release something while it's fresh  :) .

Change log
v1.1

• Fixed bug where extra tiles where added on segment move potentially blocking part of the maze or crashing the game.
  • Fixed bug where the generator would be placed too far to the right of the segment.
  • Added version number to menu screen.
  • Added seed number to loading screen.
  • Fixed bug where a collision would be detected without an object overlap.
  • Fixed bug where graphical artefacts would be left on multi directional moves and item pickups
  • Fixed bug where Fitzroy could get stuck inside a solid cell.
  • Fixed bug where a bullet projectile remain on screen after a segment move.
  • Spanner now always spawns in the first maze block
  • Machinery can now be activated once reaching half the target item count
  • Test tubes are more common

I`ll check it and tell you my feed back  ;)

awergh

Thanks I appreciate you both having a look.

I did see that Xyphoe briefly played by game (I didn't get up early enough to watch him play it live but thats ok).
In response to Xyphoe's comments I did change the collision detection to allow you to pass enemies without taking damage.
I had somewhat considered this as a feature instead of fixing the problem when it came up at the time.
Turns out it was easy to fix after all.  :)

AMSDOS

I thought this is very good for a game which came 30th! Though I enjoyed the revised version to pass enemies, in both versions though I got to the Second stage and the game was crashing. I remember where it occurred on the 1st instance, all I remember was moving to a screen below, briefly noticing some corrupt data on screen before resetting to BASIC, but on the revised version it locked where I opened the Door for the Red Key (top door).
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

awergh

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:22, 14 November 18
I thought this is very good for a game which came 30th! Though I enjoyed the revised version to pass enemies, in both versions though I got to the Second stage and the game was crashing. I remember where it occurred on the 1st instance, all I remember was moving to a screen below, briefly noticing some corrupt data on screen before resetting to BASIC, but on the revised version it locked where I opened the Door for the Red Key (top door).

Thanks  :) , I'm curious to see how the points were distributed (I'm sure they will post the video of it sometime).
For the first instance was it anything like this: switching to a new segment/screen, then going back to the previous screen and then for a second time going into the next segment/screen.
I fixed a bug specific to this which created extra blocks on screen and I thought also could cause a game crash.

As for 1.1 was there a crash as soon as you opened the red door or when you went through the door and into the next screen?
By making maze randomly generated it makes it harder to reproduce any errors.
The number on the loading screen is the seed for srand() used to generate the maze which is helpful.
I suspect it is one of those rare bugs that is hard to reproduce.
What were you running the game on? I've only tested on my 464 and in WinAPE and not nearly enough on real hardware at that.

EDIT:
Looks like I also made a mistake in that weapons don't carry over the levels so you can only kill enemies on the first level.
This might not be a problem on easy but it looks like something else I should change.

AMSDOS

Quote from: awergh on 13:10, 14 November 18Thanks  :)  , I'm curious to see how the points were distributed (I'm sure they will post the video of it sometime).For the first instance was it anything like this: switching to a new segment/screen, then going back to the previous screen and then for a second time going into the next segment/screen.I fixed a bug specific to this which created extra blocks on screen and I thought also could cause a game crash.

I don't recall having any problems switching back and forth between screens and everything looks stable in the 1st stage.

QuoteAs for 1.1 was there a crash as soon as you opened the red door or when you went through the door and into the next screen?

The game seem to froze when I was in the Doorway where the Red Keys were positioned, but before I went into the next room, the game didn't seem to make it into drawing the next screen. I was just trying to recall if I used the Red Key to unlock the door and then go back and look for more Objects before proceeding through that door. Unfortunately I'm unsure.

QuoteBy making maze randomly generated it makes it harder to reproduce any errors.
The number on the loading screen is the seed for srand() used to generate the maze which is helpful.
I suspect it is one of those rare bugs that is hard to reproduce.
What were you running the game on? I've only tested on my 464 and in WinAPE and not nearly enough on real hardware at that.

I was unable to get the game to reproduce the error the second time I was playing it, however I managed to get a screen shot the 1st time I played it and got to the second stage. The corrupt screen happened when I move up (as my vehicle confirms), though it's been placed on a Wall and couldn't move anywhere!  :laugh: 

Unfortunately I'm limited when it comes to CPCTelera, I have been playing this game with CPCBox (the website Emulator), though this maybe memory related?? I've also been playing this on Easy, though if you haven't any this kind of problem on a 464, maybe something else on CPC Box settings. CTRC is set to Type 1, 512Kb RAM expansion is enabled.
Interesting I wonder which CTRC I should have set for the 464. The Correct one seems to be Type 0 for the Hitachi, it seems to produce the best result in my small demos.

Your Computer Programs

awergh

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:30, 15 November 18

The game seem to froze when I was in the Doorway where the Red Keys were positioned, but before I went into the next room, the game didn't seem to make it into drawing the next screen. I was just trying to recall if I used the Red Key to unlock the door and then go back and look for more Objects before proceeding through that door. Unfortunately I'm unsure.

I wonder if this was a case of it thinking everything was solid so you couldn't move or something went horrible wrong and it froze.

I was unable to get the game to reproduce the error the second time I was playing it, however I managed to get a screen shot the 1st time I played it and got to the second stage. The corrupt screen happened when I move up (as my vehicle confirms), though it's been placed on a Wall and couldn't move anywhere!  :laugh: 
That looks bad, looks like something wrong with the map array but I can't really say for sure.

[/size]
Unfortunately I'm limited when it comes to CPCTelera, I have been playing this game with CPCBox (the website Emulator), though this maybe memory related?? I've also been playing this on Easy, though if you haven't any this kind of problem on a 464, maybe something else on CPC Box settings. CTRC is set to Type 1, 512Kb RAM expansion is enabled.
Interesting I wonder which CTRC I should have set for the 464. The Correct one seems to be Type 0 for the Hitachi, it seems to produce the best result in my small demos.

I don't know what CRTC my 464 is, a RAM expansion shouldn't matter as I'm not using any extra memory.
My 464 has a 64K ram expansion plugged in anyway.

Thinking about it if I turned off the enemies I could write some sort of test mode where the player moves around randomly on screen and see what happens.
Although it might take a while and I'm not sure the best way to get the game state if the game crashes.

AMSDOS

Quote from: awergh on 13:56, 15 November 18
I wonder if this was a case of it thinking everything was solid so you couldn't move or something went horrible wrong and it froze.

That looks bad, looks like something wrong with the map array but I can't really say for sure.

I don't know what CRTC my 464 is, a RAM expansion shouldn't matter as I'm not using any extra memory.
My 464 has a 64K ram expansion plugged in anyway.

Yeah, I was reading "CRTC Type 2 - it's not that bad!" last night and after reading it, I don't think that would be a problem in your game. Seems to be about what Demo tricks and what tests need to be done to prevent issues.

QuoteThinking about it if I turned off the enemies I could write some sort of test mode where the player moves around randomly on screen and see what happens.
Although it might take a while and I'm not sure the best way to get the game state if the game crashes.

Process of elimination may help, I just thought it was interesting that I got through the 1st stage, and on 3 occasions within the 2nd Stage, something happened. Silly me only realised last night that I had to use the cleaner in the 2nd stage on the Chem Spill and not the those creatures that take your energy. For some reason when I got to the 2nd stage of it last night on the 2nd occasion, the corrupt level data didn't occur. Instead I got through the Red Key Zone, but couldn't get back to the 1st Area and was left with no cleaner to proceed further.

Your Computer Programs

awergh

Fixed some enemy bugs today but that doesn't fix your bug.
When you crashed on level two did you happen to try using what you describe as "the cleaner" (I was thinking it was a flamethrower :P but I can see how they are similar) right at the edge of the screen or at the same time as trying to move segments/screens.

I had seen crashes occur doing similar things with WinCPCtelera but assumed it was a WinCPCtelera bug because it didn't seem to occur on the CPC.

AMSDOS

Not that I recall.
If the problem's not occurring on a real CPC or another emulator, then perhaps something in CPCBox isn't happy with the code. In the past I've said I've used CPCBox to type up little BASIC snippets, though with the amount of games from this compo, I've been using CPCBox to systemically go through each of them and quickly evaluate them based on time spent playing them. So if another emulator or real CPC hasn't produced this bug, then it maybe a flaw with CPCBox?

Your Computer Programs

awergh

@AMSDOS

I don't think I have fixed the bug you reported, at least not intentionally.
I think I may have experienced it with WinAPE a couple of days ago but I haven't managed to repeat the feat.
However I have enough things fixed to be worth posting it I think.

I have updated the first post and attatched version 1.2, these are the things that have been fixed.
Enemies don't stop seemingly randomly and weapon carry over should make the game more playable.
Everything else is really bug fixes, some of which were game breaking.

• Fixed bug where player weapons did not carry across levels.
  • Five units of bullet projectile ammo are carried across levels.
  • Fixed bug where killing an enemy could cause another enemy to stop.
  • Fixed bug where enemies would frequently block each other causing them to stop moving.
  • Fixed crash when using flamethrower or laser at the very edge of screen.
  • Fixed crash/graphical corruption from using flamethrower 1 pixel away from screen edge.
  • Fixed crash/graphical corruption due to miscalculation of laser projectile size against non-walled screen edge.
  • Updated game menu to use player key bindings.
  • Fixed bug where the transformer would be placed too far to the right of the segment.

AMSDOS

I wasn't able to recreate the fault in this new version in CPCBox and got to the 3rd stage to the End-of-Level Baddie.

Not a fault as such, though I died a couple of times with the enemy trapping me in and was unable to shoot them on Easy!  :o

I discovered with the Flame Thrower that I can burn heaps of Infestation with the use of Left, Right, Up, Down Keys for one unit! Is that feature or fault?

Your Computer Programs

awergh

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:23, 23 November 18
I wasn't able to recreate the fault in this new version in CPCBox and got to the 3rd stage to the End-of-Level Baddie.
Thats good, perhaps I inadvertently fixed it.  :)

Not a fault as such, though I died a couple of times with the enemy trapping me in and was unable to shoot them on Easy!  :o
Yeah this is true the game can be a bit unfair at times where you get stuck by enemies, even when you start the level.
I'm not sure there is a whole lot I can do about it although I could possibly make sure enemies don't spawn right next to you at the start of the level.
The harder difficulties result in the enemies following you so that might be even worse.
My hopes for lots of interesting enemy AI didn't really happen, I think it was harder then I thought and that the maze format was a bit more limiting than I expected.

I discovered with the Flame Thrower that I can burn heaps of Infestation with the use of Left, Right, Up, Down Keys for one unit! Is that feature or fault?
Yes that is intentional, I originally meant for you to be able to move around while using it but I had issues and decided on a compromise of being able to move the flame but not let the player move while using it. Each weapon has a different behaviour and use in the hope that none of the weapons are too samey or useless.