News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Demos / 38 years old demo unearthed
Last post by BSC - Today at 00:27
Hola! While digging through my old disk (images), I found one of the earliest "demos" I ever made. Which I also totally forgot about until seeing it on my emulator :) 

The download link is at https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=96953

I feel so old now ... 
Given we were mostly kids at the time, we got one because it's what our parents purchased. In my case we had an Amstrad dealer in town and my Dads drinking buddy had a 464 with twin drives and everything you could imagine! He designed aircraft windows for a living and clearly had plenty of money for his own home computer setup!
Emulators / Re: ACE for Linux,Mac, Windows...
Last post by Jean-Marie - Yesterday at 22:56
Just so you know, the FDC doesn't seem to handle the GAP2 protection on this Mastertronic's compilation:  3 games volume 1 © mastertronic (1988) (cpc-power.com)
 Also, my original of West Bank (UK) has a Size 0 sector in track 40 which causes troubles  :-[
Edit: My bad, the compilation seems to work correctly now! Thanks :)
Last post by McArti0 - Yesterday at 22:31
Quote from: roudoudou on Yesterday at 22:12this "trick" cannot work on all CPC
Has anyone found at least one non-Plus whose PAL is not set this way?

Does anyone know the difference between 40030 and 40031?
Last post by roudoudou - Yesterday at 22:12
Quote from: McArti0 on Yesterday at 20:19OUT &3DFF,X in CRTC3,4 should not set PAL.

this subject is under investigation since a few weeks because with age some strange things may happen on all CRTC
this is PROBABLY due to Z80 internal resistance which decreases over time (like AY)
then the CRTC can overtake the databus
an emulation option may appear in the future (anyway, as this "trick" cannot work on all CPC, it should be avoided)

Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Other Video Cards
Last post by robcfg - Yesterday at 21:20
I'd love just to have mode 1 with 16 colours...
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Other Video Cards
Last post by zhulien - Yesterday at 21:02
Is the Zeal VGA card reasonable for a CPC if an adapter was made? An adapter would need to be in some ways similar to a memory expansion to service banking into the CPC.

https://zeal8bit.com/getting-started-zvb/
https://zeal8bit.com/docs/video_port/#overview
Amstrad CPC hardware / Other Video Cards
Last post by zhulien - Yesterday at 20:58
Discussion to group video card alternatives...
I use WinAPE for developing HDCPM, so I also use it for building the distribution DSK file.
It has a nice DSK editor. You can use it to insert or extract files to/from a DSK image.

d_kef
Quote from: d_kef on Yesterday at 15:56
Quote from: pollito on Yesterday at 12:45@d_kef I have just swapped out the 1.10 ROM with the 1.11 ROM on my 464 (same config as before) but it just causes the machine to reset over and over again on power up before loading the new ROM. Any ideas?

EDIT: To clarify, I used CP/M Image File Explorer (image type cpcdata) to open Hdcpm111.dsk, then copied the hdcpm.rom file to my hard drive, and replaced the existing HDCPM ROM in the M4 slot with the new one. Maybe the file didn't copy correctly (although I did try again)? Is there a checksum I can compare it against?

Maybe it would be a good idea to put the ROM file itself on the download page, as I think this would be easier for many people.
Just tested the ROM and BIN with my 464, M4 and revaldinho's Universal 512K RAM.
It works without any restarts or any other strange behaviour.
The ROM itself does a checksum test during boot (since v1.10), so it will display an error message in case of data corruption.

Anyway I'm attaching the ROM here just in case.

d_kef

I used the version you attached, and everything is now good, so many thanks! Something must be happening when I extract the ROM from the DSK image.

What is the correct process for extracting the ROM from the DSK image on the CPC itself? I tried the |COPYF and |FCP to copy it to the root of the SD card but, failed with both, and SymbOS doesn't seem to be able to mount DSK images.