News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

A
Games / Re: Amstrad Nightmares?
Last post by Anthony Flack - Today at 21:08
Count Duckula 2 is the obvious one, and Bridge-It, the game everybody loves to hate. But I have a more personal dislike for Amsoft's 3D Space Invaders. Or the "educational" Animal Vegetable Mineral, which really should have been an example type-in in the BASIC manual, instead masquerading as a full-priced game. What else? Beach Head II was particularly dire. Roland on the Run was also awful. 

I have uploaded the keyboard design to GitHub and created a new thread for discussions related to the keyboard.

Quote from: McArti0 on Yesterday at 22:54@Benedikt
and will it be possible to display something like this?

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?msg=215472
The best answer I can give is that if the KC compact can do it, the KCC plus will be able to do it.

Quote from: Bread80 on Today at 12:49Using SRAM in an Amstrad is non-straightforward due to timing issues, but it's not hard to fix. I haven't had a chance yet to publish any details of how I did it, but feel free to ask.
Hopefully the absence of Amstrad's gate array makes this one aspect slightly easier. We will see. But thank you for pointing it out.

Quote from: Bread80 on Today at 12:49Also, if there's anything in my projects that's of use you're welcome to them. https://github.com/Bread80 

The CPC Modular repository is not up to date but may well be useful. I created the project to break out the CPC into parts which I could work on separately. I now have a functioning backplane which breaks out almost all the standard Amstrad signal lines (or they could be repurposed). I'm planning a new version which fixes some layout issues.
Sounds interesting. A bunch of them will definitely end up in my bookmarks.
This is a spin-off topic for the KCC plus' keyboard assembly. See also the main thread for the KCC plus.

What is it?

A mechanical keyboard design with MX switches, diodes for n-key rollover and a form factor that is (largely) CPC6128 compatible.
It is meant to be used with modern XDA keycaps.

What is it for?

It is primarily intended for the (still hypothetical) KCC plus, but also fits in a CPC6128 and (presumably) a 6128 Plus.

Shortcomings for CPC users

If you want to use it in a CPC, you either have to solder wires to the system board or use tiny adapter PCBs.
The PCB also has to be 1.6 mm thick for stability reasons, while the CPC6128's keyboard's sheet metal frame is only 1.0 mm thick.
You therefore have to either live with a 0.6 mm gap or remove 0.6 mm of material either from the two mounting posts in the lower case shell or from matching areas on the back side of the keyboard PCB.

Pictures or it didn't happen! / How do I get one?

All design files are on GitHub. Pictures of the complete keyboard assembly can be found in the relevant section of the README document.
M
Last post by merman - Today at 19:55
Good point on the Spectrum ports - it would be easy for them to dominate such a book.

For C64 Nightmares, I used the worst-rated games in ZZAP! plus some of the worst games generally.
Obviously Amtix and Amstrad Action ratings would play a part in deciding what makes the final list.
Last post by Gryzor - Today at 19:12
Yes, but some, probably the most egregious and disappointing cases could/should be showcased.
T
Games / Re: WIP Transversion
Last post by Typhon - Today at 19:10
Think I just need to adjust the timing of the game code a bit. Player movement and bolt movement are updated on different frame-counters for speed reasons. :-)

I'll change things so you can redefine to cursor keys too, as well, as enabling of cancelling of the redefine screen without having to go through all the list of controls!
Last post by Devlin - Today at 19:03
Quote from: merman on Today at 17:37So, we've had ZX Nightmares penned by Graeme Mason and Commodore Nightmares written by me and successfully funded on Kickstarter...

Would people be interested in an Amstrad Nightmares?

Looking back at the worst CPC and Plus games out there.
From Loathsome Licences (film, TV and terrible arcade conversions), the games so difficult they required the Patience of a Saint, the strange ideas and bizarre mechanics that made you say They Did What?, and finally the Simply Awful.

And what games would you include?
Yes, provided that lazy speccy ports were completely off the table, or in their own section - too much of an easy target, I feel.
Last post by dodogildo - Today at 18:49
Yeah but Amstrad nightmares would be double (or triple) the size of your previous book, considering the speccy conversions  :picard:
I
Programming / Re: 8BP
Last post by ivavilagu - Today at 18:16
WyzTracker button for music creation could be added
Last post by Gryzor - Today at 17:44
I'd buy it in a heartbeat.