News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Games / Re: The Key, a A "full" point ...
Last post by GUNHED - Today at 15:15
Quote from: Nich on 17:45, 03 May 24
Quote from: GUNHED on 16:25, 02 May 24Well, just add a ZIP here...  :)

Did you not read XeNoMoRPH's earlier post first?
Of course I did. But...
Didn't you see that in doesn't work? 
It's still error 404!
Wow, this joystick emulation seems to behave much better than some other solutions I have seen! Is the right button working as well?
Thank you. Waiting for GOTO is actually one of my (human) compositions from my album Artificial. I guess Soundcloud rolled on to it after the Songs About Coding. I did use a tool for evolving melodies, but there wasn't any AI in making that one. The album is about AI, though. More info here: https://www.sean.co.uk/music/artificial-sean.uk.shtm  
My father's company had bought some of them to teach employees (and a few select family members) how to use computers. When the time came to buy a computer at home, my parents picked the same.

In turn, the company's choice was based on the versatility, i.e. availability of CP/M along with color capabilities.
Games / Re: Adapting loading screens t...
Last post by abalore - Today at 11:07
Please someone do a new loading screen for Desert Fox. It really sucks.

It does look pretty impressive. The 60Hz thing was always going to be a bit of an issue but not insurmountable. 50Hz would be nice and is supported by a lot more displays these days (due to the panels being the same as in TVs).

The colour issue does mean it wouldn't work on a Plus machine though, which is a shame. Although the GX does have Scart output and a slightly adjusted PAL friendly clock, so hooking one of those up to a modern display is less problematic most of the time (especially since Plus only software is probably less likely to use HSYNC hacks).
Last post by Targhan - Today at 09:56
Quote from: ldaneels on Today at 05:24The game is about half an hour long on the first playthrough and 5 minutes when you know what you're doing. A save function is not all that necessary

Well, I didn't know that and don't want to know that before starting the game :). But on TwittX, the author told me the save option on disc was on its way, which is great. Since they've made a generic engine, I think it's a required option for the forthcoming games!
Last post by Mr. DVG - Today at 05:45
The solution of the English version on my YouTube channel... not to be seen for those who don't want spoilers! ;) 

Last post by ldaneels - Today at 05:24
The game is about half an hour long on the first playthrough and 5 minutes when you know what you're doing. A save function is not all that necessary.
Otherwise, there is the Mirage Imager, which I believe would let you save your state on a real CPC...
@eto That's great. Thanks a lot for checking it! Actually there are two things still to do. One is that I have 60hz output and I can see it is not 100% smooth (even if not visible on this video), because it doubles the frame from time to time. I am just experimenting with 50.08hz output. It is 100% smooth then but there are other issues and it only works on one monitor out of 3 that I have. Still, I could add a switch so it would be possible to have 60hz that works on every monitor, or 50 that is 100% smooth.
Other thing is how I handle shorter hsync at this point. I need to start scanning .5us earlier for each 1us that hsync is shorter. I only handle 3 and 4 us vsync at this point. After csync goes down, I wait 3.5us whatever csync value is and then wait until csync goes up. If it was 3us hsync, then it is already up, and I start scanning, but if it was 4us, then I wait until full 4us (.5us longer). That gives me .5us shift and makes scroll smooth. But from what I read, there are options (not recommended but I believe still used) to have even shorter hsync. I will need to handle them, too. 

@McArti0 I Just used voltage comparators. There are only 3 possible levels of each color in Amstrad so I just made use of it. Of course this solution will be Amstrad only. I tried a couple comparators to find something cheap and fast enough. At this point I sticked to 3x TLV3202. They are $1.50 each and they are fast enough. I had a lot of noise on output but I managed to filter out most of it with capacitors. Some of it may be because I still have it on a some shitty breadboard when comparator's docs say a lot about how accurately it has to be placed on a pcb to avoid noise.
First I wanted to use ADCs in RP2040, but they are just too slow.
The output from comparators (and input to RP2040) are two pins for each color. One is high if there is full brightness, and other is high if there is half or full brightness. That is also how I keep it in memory.