News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

C
Other retro / Re: Most expensive "vintage co...
Last post by cwpab - Today at 18:39
I just learned the Nuon gamepad by Logitech costs almost 400 dollars.
Games / Re: Fruity Frank Steve Wallis
Last post by Gryzor - Today at 18:29
Oh that's sad indeed... And even sadder that he passed and nobody noticed, this was such a gem of a game and a really loved memory of mine.
Games / Fruity Frank Steve Wallis
Last post by Misel982001 - Today at 18:10
Hi guys. I began playing Fruity Frank again with my kids. I began wondering who is Steve Wallis the creator of the game and where is he now. During the past years I have contacted famous CPC game creators and I decided to contact him. Unfortunately, I found that he passed away at the age of 48 on 14th September 2014. I felt very sad. Can anyone tell me about his life, some details if possible? I know that he suffered from a mental disease and that he had turned into a left activist, called Thatcher of the Left, trying to create a more equal society. I also found some videos where he talks about the rights of people. If anyone can offer some info it will be appreciated.
Ghosts'n Goblins looks good. 

If you have issues loading Relentles, you can try Edge Grinder and Super Edge Grinder. These are also two candidates that rarely work on anything but a CRT.
@eto  I did some of the tests you recommended. Could you take a look if it looks OK? Please ignore noise (flickering pixels) and sometimes screen shifted to the right - I am already working on these issues.

IMO Vertical overscan (Ultima Ratio) looks OK. I also tried horizontal overscan with Super Cauldron and it was OK.

Scrolling it much more interesting. I tried Ghost'n'Goblins and I think they are OK, but please take a look, too. Sorry for blurry video, my camera went out of focus.

Smooth vertical scroll (Mission Genocide) also looks OK, but sometimes a little bit choppy. I am not sure if it is expected.

Horizontal smooth scroll totally does not work. I tried Skate Wars, and it was a total mess. I am just reading about tricks with HSync here: https://shaker.logonsystem.eu/ACCC1.7-EN.pdf and I have some ideas how to fix it, but first for sure I will need to use csync from Gate Array instead of Hsync from CRTC.
Besides that I found a lot of issues with how I handle or do not handle syncs. e.g. Mission genocide has less lines (305 it total), so instead of hardcoded value I will need to start actually use VSync. And BTW how I use HSync also sucks - sometimes screen is shifted to the right.

I did not manage to load Relentless yet, but I believe issues will be similar to Skate Wars.

Quote from: Bryce on Today at 11:29I suppose it's cool because it hasn't been done before.
A radio for the CPC has been done already around 2017, it is called SE-One and produced by Hans/TMTLogic. There was both an MSX and a CPC version, I still have the latter one:

You cannot view this attachment.

Beside playing FM radio...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlGBS3nNiY
...it was fully compatible to the old MP3MSX hardware (like the SF3 etc.) and so was able to play MP3s as well.

Indeed TMTLogic produced a DAB radio later as well. Unfortunately his website is a little bit limited now, but there are links to a huge Google Docs repository.

There are players for both the FM and the DAB radio hardware in SymbOS, developed by EdoZ:
http://www.symbos.de/appinfo.htm?00053
http://www.symbos.de/appinfo.htm?00052

But I guess it's not compatible to this new hardware.
D
Games / Re: Pinball Magic 2024 (WIP)
Last post by DataPro - Today at 13:03

Hello and thanks for the game.
I will try it this week on real machine.
I see a great effort has been made on music and I want to tell how much I appreciate that.
Depending on the cost why not both?
Quote from: SerErris on Yesterday at 12:49The original design for the B drive on a 6128 was to use the normal FD-1 with a normal cable. So the 6128 is indeed prepared for the 5V lines. Also those lines are anyhow signal lines with active low. So the only problem would be if the CPC would pull them down. But as that never happens it is not a problem that they are high. There is no such thing like power injection. It is power will get pulled. And as this is correct voltage level even if it would be connected to something that is internal 5V it would not damage anything.

So from single point of view those lines are unused in the CPC and only used for power supply on DDI-1.

Not quite correct. The lines used for the 5V supply were otherwise GND lines. They aren't connected on the 6128 side to avoid a short circuit and on the DDI-1 the connector nearest the expansion has those pins removed from the connector to avoid damage if you were to add a second drive.

Bryce.
I suppose it's cool because it hasn't been done before. There are lots of single chip Radio IC's around with digital tuning etc to do this. Unfortunately he doesn't show the other side of the PCB to give it away. I think I would have made a DAB radio though. With an AM/FM antenna that close to a CPC and monitor, you are mainly going to receive the noise coming from the computer.

Bryce.