News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

The problem with overlapping the meaning of the bits like that is you have to do full masked sprites and preserve the background (keeping clean separation let's you cheat with XOR or do simplified AND/OR drawing). 

And the moment you have all that sprite masking you can probably just run with a full 16-colour screen.
Really exciting! Smooth scrolling, the CPU does not need to do much (and can do other things instead), and - as far as I can see - it is compatible to a wide variety of different screens.

But this 8-color thing, this brought me to thinking for a longer time. Finally I think I have it, but did not find the time to test this with a small program. I will try this later.

By further dividing the color bits, I think it is possible to achieve a 2-color background and an 8-color foreground provided that the scrolling has constant speed and direction. Here are some of my thoughts about this:

Spoiler: ShowHide

• One bit selects between foreground and background.
  • If foreground is selected, the remaining three bits select one out of eight colors.
  • If background is selected, the second bit selects one out of two background colors.
  • The third bit encodes a set pixel in the background with offset 0.
  • The fourth bit encodes a set pixel in the background with offset 2.

This needs to be combined with a double buffer to create the missing offsets of 1 and 3. Set background pixels with different colors need to have a bit of space in between. This means the two background colors cannot be used freely. Nevertheless, background design can be improved with two colors, and dithering is possible at least from line to line. Applying rasters can help to get even more colors for the background.

That's very cool !! BRAVO.
Programming / Re: 1 pixel horizontal hardwar...
Last post by abalore - Yesterday at 23:55
Further experiments testing the concept of 2 color background with 8 color foreground

Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Amstrad PCW 8256 - Gotek D...
Last post by robcfg - Yesterday at 21:42
How exactly are you connecting the Gotek to the PCW?

The Gotek has the standard 34 pin connector while PCW drives have a 26 pin one.

Can you show us what type of cable/adapter are you using?
T
Programming / Re: Adding Arkos Tracker 2 Mus...
Last post by Typhon - Yesterday at 21:16
Ah, I'm going to try the automatic conversion then in that!
I
Last post by ivavilagu - Yesterday at 20:38
Quote from: Typhon on Yesterday at 19:40Odd, I can't get Sound to play in my new project.

Have done all of the above (lol), using

PlaySFX(1, CHANNEL_A, MAX_VOL);

referring to an exported and compiled etc AKM of Sound Effects.

music works fine.
In Arkos2 .zip there is a code example using sound effects
Ok, so I managed to get the PCW to boot from the original disk drive after I got a CP/M disk.

I STILL cannot get the Gotek working though. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated so that I can explore the library more.
T
Last post by Typhon - Yesterday at 19:40
Odd, I can't get Sound to play in my new project.

Have done all of the above (lol), using

PlaySFX(1, CHANNEL_A, MAX_VOL);

referring to an exported and compiled etc AKM of Sound Effects.

music works fine.
News & Events / Re: Benediction Coding Party 4
Last post by GUNHED - Yesterday at 15:14
Very decent invitation demo!  :) :) :)

Fun fact at the side... BND in Germany means "Bundesnachrichtendienst", it's a kind of secret service.  :o