Dart Scanner for DMP-Printers
A scanner from Dart Electronics for use with Amstrad's DMP2000 and DMP3000 printer series (including later DMP2160/3160/3250di variants). The scanner optics are attached to the printer head. This solution sounds a bit crude, but it was surprisingly successful: Adverts were released every some months in ACU, from 1986 until 1992.
The scanner optics are attached to the printer head. The scanner interface connects to the expansion port.
Uses port FBEFh, the port seems to be read-only.
Bit2 Carriage Returned/Parked (0=Wait/Head Parked, 1=Scan/Head Moving) Bit? Scanned Pixel Color (0=Black, 1=White)
Scanning is done in single scanlines (one pixels height). The scanning procedure waits while FBEFh.Bit2=0 (which probably indicates that the head is in the left-most position, or that it has just leaved it, or so). The horizontal "dot clock" is implemented as software delays (ie. the horizontal resolution depends on the software). When scanning a black dot, one or more bits in Port FBEFh become non-zero (not sure which bit; the driver software simply checks "IF Port[FBEFh]<>FFh THEN PLOT pixel").
Caution: The scanning software may be required to be adjusted for different printer/scanner versions (eg. an extra delay for DMP3000), and, the printer DIP switches must be set up properly (see last page of manual for details). Further timing adjustments are required for the DMP2160, DMP3160, and DMP3250di printers, which do move the head at faster speed, and do thus need adjustments for horizontal resolution (and position). Details on these adjustments should be found in newer versions of the Dart Scanner manual and/or in newer versions of the supplied software.
The scanner attached to a CPC6128 and a DMP2000
- Reviewed in Amstradbladet 1987, Issue 3, pages 8, 9, 10 (Danish)
- Reviewed in CPC Schneider International, issue 7-1987, page 34 (German).
- Dart Scanner Advert for DMP2000 in ACU Dec 1986 page 43.
- Dart Scanner Advert for DMP2000/3000 in ACU xxx ... until Sep 1988 page 23.
- Dart Scanner Advert for DMP2000/2160/3000/3160 in ACU Nov 1988 page 21, ACU Dec 1989 page 72, ACU Dec 1990 page 50, ACU Jan 1991 page 10, ACU Feb 1991 page 10, ACU May 1991 page 68.
- Dart Scanner Advert for DMP2000/2160/3000/3160/3250 in ACU Sep 1991 page 51, ACU Nov 1991 page 50, ACU Apr 1992 page 48, ACU May 1992 page 19.
- Dart Scanner Manual (pdf) - DMP2000 version (with some DMP3000 notes)
Observe that the manual includes some patches for using the scanning software with different printers, ie. it may be required to do some small modifications before using the above drivers. And, the manual says that DIP switches on the printer must be configured properly.
http://cpcrulez.fr/hardware_scannerDART.htm ( You can download the software here )