Best game???

Started by ukmarkh, 14:36, 16 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

what is the best game out of this selection?

X-Out
1 (2%)
UN Squadron
1 (2%)
Mr Heli
1 (2%)
Mission Genocide
8 (15.7%)
Solar Coaster
0 (0%)
Classic Invaders
0 (0%)
R-Type
5 (9.8%)
Bosconian 87
0 (0%)
Game Over II
3 (5.9%)
Sonic boom
1 (2%)
Light force
5 (9.8%)
Flying shark
5 (9.8%)
P47
9 (17.6%)
Harrier Attack
4 (7.8%)
Xenon
0 (0%)
Silkworm
5 (9.8%)
Forgotten Worlds
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: 14:36, 16 May 10

mr_lou

I never played over half those games on the poll, including Mission Genocide. But I tried them all before voting, and went with Genocide.

Interestingly, as it looks a lot like a C64 game, I thought it was ported from the C64. Surely enough there is a C64 version as well, so I assumed I was right.
But later, when searching for a synopsis about the game, I found an interview with the author online somewhere, in which he says that all this games originated on the CPC - so it's actually the C64 version of Genocide which is a port from the CPC.

I'd like a CPC version of Genocide with cheat though, so I can see all the levels.  :)
Currently only the C64 version has cheat, but I'm not playing on the C64...  8)

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:11, 30 April 10
I'd like a CPC version of Genocide with cheat though, so I can see all the levels.  :)

The CPC version you get off TACGR has an infinite lives poke.

ukmarkh

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:11, 30 April 10
I never played over half those games on the poll, including Mission Genocide. But I tried them all before voting, and went with Genocide.

Interestingly, as it looks a lot like a C64 game, I thought it was ported from the C64. Surely enough there is a C64 version as well, so I assumed I was right.
But later, when searching for a synopsis about the game, I found an interview with the author online somewhere, in which he says that all this games originated on the CPC - so it's actually the C64 version of Genocide which is a port from the CPC.

I'd like a CPC version of Genocide with cheat though, so I can see all the levels.  :)
Currently only the C64 version has cheat, but I'm not playing on the C64...  8)

You won't have the same appreciation for Genocide if you cheat your way through. Just needs a bit of practice is all. The first time I completed it, I was like how bloody good was that, but yes it's hard. I can complete on pretty much every other go.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Axelay on 13:29, 30 April 10
The CPC version you get off TACGR has an infinite lives poke.

Hi Axe, any chance you could release an ultimate edition of Star Sabre? It needs to be a little tougher, completed it several times now but wish I could up the difficulty a notch.

mr_lou

Quote from: ukmarkh on 17:15, 30 April 10I can complete on pretty much every other go.

Yea, but you're also the dude who completed Star Sabre in 3 days, and I still can't get past the 2nd level. (And I only get past 1st level sometimes!)

ukmarkh

I could never understand why they didn't build games around all levels of difficulty... i.e. easy, medium or hard. No excuses for new games, they should all feature this option. I was playing God of War 3 the other day and getting my arse handed to me by one of the gods, and the game had the cheek to ask me if I wanted to drop down to an easier difficulty, now this is taking things too far, and I gave the tv the two fingers and marched on, eventually.

Axelay

Quote from: ukmarkh on 17:17, 30 April 10
Hi Axe, any chance you could release an ultimate edition of Star Sabre? It needs to be a little tougher, completed it several times now but wish I could up the difficulty a notch.

I'm afraid I'm not keen to revisit past projects like that, it takes time away from working on ideas and code for new projects.  There's a pretty good chance of a difficulty level option appearing in future projects though!

Leonie

Quote from: ukmarkh on 19:34, 30 April 10
I could never understand why they didn't build games around all levels of difficulty... i.e. easy, medium or hard.

I don´t like levels of difficulty.
The game is the game.
You have to get along with it.
This is the challenge.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Leonie on 16:35, 10 May 10

I don´t like levels of difficulty.
The game is the game.
You have to get along with it.
This is the challenge.

Totally disagree... it prolongs the life of a game, I find some games way too easy, hence no challenge, and wished I could up the anti. On the other hand I've games from 20 years ago that I'm unable to beat because they are way too hard. Dude, everyone's skill level is different, this option should have been, and hopefully will be included in future CPC releases. I'd also like to see new games take advantage of the two button controller; this would breathe even more life and longevity into new games. Probably dreaming now, but network connectivity aware co-op gaming for the CPC? 

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:55, 10 May 10

Totally disagree... it prolongs the life of a game, I find some games way too easy, hence no challenge, and wished I could up the anti. On the other hand I've games from 20 years ago that I'm unable to beat because they are way too hard. Dude, everyone's skill level is different, this option should have been, and hopefully will be included in future CPC releases. I'd also like to see new games take advantage of the two button controller; this would breathe even more life and longevity into new games. Probably dreaming now, but network connectivity aware co-op gaming for the CPC?
Adding difficulty levels is more work, and more data, so it's not easy to fit it all in.
But I will consider your comments for my future games.

Your dream will have to stay a dream unless somebody makes an ethernet card for cpc ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Leonie

Quote from: ukmarkh on 16:55, 10 May 10

Totally disagree... it prolongs the life of a game, I find some games way too easy, hence no challenge, and wished I could up the anti.

This is an attribute of a great game with great gameplay:
It´s difficult, but not unfair, so you have the chance to learn how to play and finish it.
In this case you don´t need levels of difficulty.




ukmarkh

Quote from: Leonie on 17:17, 10 May 10

This is an attribute of a great game with great gameplay:
It´s difficult, but not unfair, so you have the chance to learn how to play and finish it.
In this case you don´t need levels of difficulty.

In the case of games such as R-Type, they got the balance just right... but sadly in many games I've played over the years, the judgment and balance have been slightly off. And many programmers themselves have admitted to this. For instance 'Contra' on the NES, probably the most difficult game on earth, will hand you your arse over and over. In fact not many people have ever completed the game, and try as you may; I bet not many ever will either, Battle Toads is another classic example.

I believe it's one of the reasons the Dreamcast is loved so much, many of its games, especially the shoot-em-ups came with multitudes of choice, and therefore if experienced, made its games accessible to many gamers. If the gamer felt up to it, an ultimate difficulty was there for the taking.     

Maybe, it's just me... but I'd prefer the choice in my games.     

mr_lou

We (LuBlu Entertainment) had the same thoughts as ukmarkh when we developed our mobile games. We wanted to target a lot of players in different age-groups, so we implemented 3 difficulties in our 3 games.

Just want to say that I'm with you ukmarkh!  ;)

But judging from our online highscores from our game Ukko's Journey, it looks like most people never notice the option.  :-X
81% of the uploaded highscores are from normal difficulty. 16% easy mode, and 3% hard mode. Based on those stats, I agree with arnoldemu that it's too much work compared to how much it's actually used... (or else I can pretend we just happened to find the correct difficulty for the majority...   ::) )

I'll probably keep implementing 3 difficulty-modes anyway though...  :)

nurgle

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:02, 10 May 10
Your dream will have to stay a dream unless somebody makes an ethernet card for cpc ;)


www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Virtual_Net_96

Gryzor

On way to typically omit difficulty levels is to have adaptive gameplay difficulty, like in Gods. But this would require too much AI to fit on the CPC...

Meanwhile... P47 better than R-Type???!!!!!

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:38, 11 May 10
Meanwhile... P47 better than R-Type???!!!!!

I know? I think the people that voted for P47 are just graphic hoares, who don't care about game-play, just how good a game looks.  ;)

Leonie

"Flying Shark" is one of the Mode 1-games that looks quite good.

cpc4eva

Quote from: Leonie on 15:54, 12 May 10
"Flying Shark" is one of the Mode 1-games that looks quite good.


it was way too slow and i thought it was a poor conversion to cpc

ukmarkh

Quote from: cpc4eva on 23:47, 14 May 10

it was way too slow and i thought it was a poor conversion to cpc

Hi ya chap, what game did you vote for if you don't mind me asking?

Leonie

Quote from: cpc4eva on 23:47, 14 May 10

it was way too slow and i thought it was a poor conversion to cpc

You´re right. It is slow and not very enjoyable, but the detailed graphic looks good for Mode1. The colours are well-chosen.

MacDeath

#70
Flying Shark is not THAT slow... the animation also is smooth and quite constant if I remember well.
But, well, only need a little speed boost.

The major issue is the colour of the bullets.
It sometimes mix so much with the background you can't see them that well.

perhaps if those could have flickering colours (alternate between 2 colours...)

Also perhaps the sprites are a bit less coloured than they could.
If the background's tiles are properly re-done form the speccy, the sprites are not (still in 2 colours).

And colours could have been a bit betterly choosen.

Exemple : 1st level :

yellow + orange + light green + black.

3 colours "containning" Yellow... no wonder you can't see the bullet.
Perhaps getting the light yellow in White may be better.
Or something like that.

But the 27 colours palette from old CPC is actually not that easy to work with.
Really unbalanced, it can be great for some sutff, and bad for some others.

Leonie

Flying Shark:
The colours of the landscape are well-chosen. It looks good, not like a spectrum port.
But yes, the sprites, especially the bullets, could really use some extra colours.
But as we know, there are only 4 colours in Mode 1... :'(
The scrolling is without hurry but very smooth.
However, Ikari Warriors is faster and also smooth, isn´t it?

EDIT: The music of Flying Shark could be a lot better. The AY is more than a beeper!

Leonie

Quote from: MacDeath on 18:06, 15 May 10
But the 27 colours palette from old CPC is actually not that easy to work with.
Really unbalanced, it can be great for some stuff, and bad for some others.

Are you crazy?
The colours of the CPC are sooo lovely, romantic, bold.....just wonderful!

MacDeath

#73
I know it's a good palette for a 1984's computer...
27 colours is far more than what a Speccy or C64 can offer.

And as I said it's a bit unbalanced.

Lack of Greys (only one...) and proper "Browns" (Dark red is not a real brown, nor is the Orange...) actually.

This means you can't get reallistic stuff (wood or stone) or Grim and Gritty ambiances...


I always say that if the CPC did have the 32 colours it could actually handle, with let's say +2 greys (light and dark), + 3 Browns (light, medium and dark) it could have change a lot of thing.
But the Colours were generated strangely with a 3 level for each RGB... 3 levels, not even bits...
I don't know if +5 custom colours could have been added to those.

The C64 palette used only custom colours.
And perhaps such custom colours were not possible in a Gate Array, or could have cost too much to produce, or whatever....


But the colourfull chatoyance of the numerous blues, Purples, the sweet Yeelow-orange or Yellow-green gradiants, the nice Red gradient too... 

Simply excellent for colourfull stuff, cartoon like style, Fantasy/Heroic fantasy, space galaxies and so on...

And this lack of some kind of colours is not that a big deal when your are in a 4 colours mode...

but many great games in Mode0 managed to make the CPC one of the best computer of its time in term of graphics (compared to C64 and Speccy mostly...)


Barbarian is simply as good as on 16 bit IMO while Speccy or C64 are inferior in graphics.

Spanish games were always awesome and proper intro pages on CPC could really kick serious asses.

(Gabrielle..dynamic games, some french games too...) 

Leonie

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:17, 15 May 10
Simply excellent for colourfull stuff, cartoon like style, Fantasy/Heroic fantasy, space galaxies and so on...

Games like "Purple Saturn Day" or "Captain Blood" are wonderful to look at as well as the countless french adventures with theirs absolut amazing graphics. (the French really knew how to draw arts on the Amstrad). Sadly my french is confined to "Moi je m'appelle Lolita ".  :'(

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod