News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

morcar

I have to say even with the ZX Spectrum version i was aching for a 128K version that loaded all the levels and even if it couldnt at least loaded most of them in because loading the levels up was a pain in the backside. I am still hoping someone will take the job up for the ZX Spectrum and have a go.

As for the Amstrad version I am glad its been remade and done the right way although the original was is still a great game none the less.

Gryzor

Quote from: morcar on 07:43, 31 May 12
As for the Amstrad version I am glad its been remade and done the right way although the original was is still a great game none the less.

Thank you. Thank you very much. I've always said that! :D

arnoldemu

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:00, 28 May 12
I have a crtc type 2 so I can test this.
This example works fine on a type 2 and type 0 (tested and confirmed):

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/mess2.asm

this is from some early code modified to do horizontal scrolling. It is a different example to the other scrolling code.

This uses 3 split sections (from memory). 2 have R5 values to do vertical, last is R5=0 always.

My old example did not work correct on type 0 or type 2.  (This uses 2 split sections).

On type 1 I remember the other example worked fine in all directions. For type 0, 2 however: if the screen had not been scrolled it was smooth, if I then scrolled the screen by 1 pixel or more, then I had to reverse the values to make it smooth again.

I don't know *exactly* why, I will check the code, perhaps there is a mistake in the other.. the vertical scroll was always smooth, but as soon as I added horizontal it didn't always work on type 0 or 2, I had to reverse the r3 values when I had scrolled 1 pixel or more vertically (every 8th line was ok).
Possibly the vertical sync position was not correct, but the monitor was tolerant enough that the screen was always perfectly static.

So this confirms R3 scroll works fine on type 2.

What I do think makes a difference is the monitor response. All these tests are on the same monitor, it is possible another one prefers the values switched to be smooth. (e.g 5->6->5->6 but another may like 6->5, 6->5,6->5). More tests are needed!

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Thank you very much for your tests. :)
So, using the R3 register, it's not the CRTC the problem but the attached display.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

beaker

Just got issue 104 of Retro Gamer through the post and I see TMR has revised the R-Type score to 94% saying "...the bug fix to Easter Egg's R-Type has been released and the crashing issues we had when reviewing it all appear to have been blasted with the Force!..." (refering to the R-Type picture with the caption Use the Force). Am I allowed to scan that little section of the magazine for everyone to see or will I get in trouble?

Also, did anyone see the full page "Making of BB4CPC" in the Homebrew section last issue (103)? I am feeling a lot of love for the CPC from TMR at the moment, thanks  :D

Anyway where was I? Oh yes, only 94% when Downfall on the Amiga (which looks like a poor Bombjack clone from the screenshots and started off on the 2600) gets 86%!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gryzor

Yup, that's good. 94% is definitely high, and well, no matter if you think it deserved more, it'll be nitpicking for arguing :)

I think scanning small sections off magazines is ok?

beaker

Here's a scan of the update. Let me know if there are better settings for scanning - I did it at 1200dpi on my old Epson Perfection scanner then reduced it down a bit. If there's a problem with copyright or something I'll remove it.

Carnivius

What score did it get before the bug fix?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

beaker

82% if memory serves me right which looking at TMR's other scores wasn't a bad score to begin with. I also see the original Speccy port makes it into the From the Archives feature and is described as a poor alternative to the excellent Spectrum conversion.

Puresox

Quote from: beaker on 22:35, 25 June 12
82% if memory serves me right which looking at TMR's other scores wasn't a bad score to begin with. I also see the original Speccy port makes it into the From the Archives feature and is described as a poor alternative to the excellent Spectrum conversion.

Wow that is quite a statement! Is this comment in the newest edition with the revise score for the CPC version?

ivarf

Quote from: beaker on 22:35, 25 June 12
I think most non CPC-users will remember the 82% score. The update is very small and probably will be not be noticed by many readers

fano

94% ! we need to make 6% better our next project, we'll do !  :laugh:

Btw, congratulation to Beb who won the R-Type contest at Reset #8 ! (see you soon for a next context at RGC 2012 !)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

Quote from: ivarf on 06:53, 26 June 12
I think most non CPC-users will remember the 82% score. The update is very small and probably will be not be noticed by many readers

Yes, that's correct; very unfortunate. I still think that the original score was very low, even with the bug, if you consider the marks that other, very simplistic, titles got in the same issue.

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:29, 26 June 12
Yes, that's correct; very unfortunate. I still think that the original score was very low, even with the bug, if you consider the marks that other, very simplistic, titles got in the same issue.

This be very true.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

TotO

Happy 25th Anniversary R-Type!!!

Here our final version. :)

What's new:
- An hardest mode named MASTER, when you finish the ARCADE game.
- Two boss difficulty was adjusted. (Gomanda & Bydo)
- Some GFX fix on stage 2 and 5.
- A new "wink" easter egg*

To get it, go to : http://cpc.rtype.fr

Have fun!

EE Team.

* don't search metr, you already found it...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Ohhh there goes the afternoon. Thanks man! Can I upload the game to our Downloads section, or you want it distributed from your site?

TotO

Because it is the final 3"1/2 version, you can add it to your download section. ;)

The website link was to be sure that no "buged version" goes around the web.
A good choice, because it's the 3rd release since.

Carnivius

Downloaded and gonna put on my PSP later to take with my to rehearsals so I can play quality CPC R-Type in between my scenes.  Although I might get too into the game and miss my cues.   :)

Gryzor

Done, thanks!

viddi

I´m sorry to say, that the final version still doesn´t work on my CPC 6128 Plus.
The Easter Egg logo displays fine now, but the game ALWAYS crashes when the gameplay starts. :(

Any hope for a fixed Plus version?

TotO

Nothing was changed since, and it was tested on cpc+ too last week again. Strange...

viddi

Quote from: TotO on 11:22, 06 July 12
Nothing was changed since, and it was tested on cpc+ too last week again. Strange...

Maybe it´s a disc transfer problem?

Do I have to change some CPCdiskXP settings?

TotO

You don't get the problem before ???

fano

Quote from: viddi on 11:16, 06 July 12
I´m sorry to say, that the final version still doesn´t work on my CPC 6128 Plus.
The Easter Egg logo displays fine now, but the game ALWAYS crashes when the gameplay starts. :(

Any hope for a fixed Plus version?
Has been tested on 6128 Plus, i'd say it looks more like a disk problem  :(
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

viddi

Quote from: TotO on 11:54, 06 July 12
You don't get the problem before ???

Well, yes!
But now it´s even worse.

The first uploaded version worked occasionally, but the final version always stops working after a few seconds (there are no enemies on the screen as well...).

I tried the "gap values instead of calculate it" on CPCdiskXP...no difference at all. :(

Edit: I get the same results on my HxC floppy emulator...