News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
K

R-Type

Started by Keith A Goodyer, 04:08, 25 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

If a Disc doesn't work with the Plus, then try it at a normal CPC6128, then you know if it is the Plus or the Disc.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

beaker

No, it's not working quite right on my 6128+ as well

On the 6128+ my beam bar isn't filling correctly as you can see in the photo:
[attach=2]

The same hfe file on my original 6128 appears to work perfectly:
[attach=3]

I downloaded the file from your website (R-Type CPC 128K) using the link >> 3"½ floppy disk (06/12) <<.
I then loaded the dsk image into HxCFloppyEmulator 1.6.11.15 software amd exported to the hard drive, then copied and pasted the file onto the SD card.

On both machines I just had the HxC attached, nothing else.

If you have any suggestions or want any more information/hfe file etc please let me know and I can email it to you.

Kind regards

Beaker

fano

Sadly , It's very difficult to say what should cause this problem.I do not rely on the system so the problem would come somewhere in hardware (not the drive as problem occurs with HxC too), that does not occur on some + too (as Eliot one tested at reset party).
I do not see real difference between CPC and locked +, maybe there is one that causes this problem.I must admit this one of weirdest thing ever seen (and when you program you see a lot of weird things)
That would be interesting to see if the problem occurs on a cost down (CRTC type 4) CPC...
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

Ok, this sounds a bit offtopic... but it's not...   Some people had problems using the FutureOS for the 6128 Plus on the Plus, for unknown reasons (freeze at startup). The exact same ROM files work on my Plus flawless.

So, my conclusioin is: There are differences in the 6128 Plus itself. It may be due to different ASIC types, we know about some revisions already. Would be interresting to find out more. (My Plus is UK! Are the French Plus working different?).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

viddi

Thanks for your posts and advices, guys!

I have a french cart. I guess this is the only difference, as the mobo should be the same in any Plus machine.
Or did they produce different revisions?

TFM

Quote from: viddi on 21:28, 06 July 12
Or did they produce different revisions?
Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:13, 06 July 12
It may be due to different ASIC types, we know about some revisions already.
TFM of FutureSoft

beaker

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:13, 06 July 12
Ok, this sounds a bit offtopic... but it's not...   Some people had problems using the FutureOS for the 6128 Plus on the Plus, for unknown reasons (freeze at startup). The exact same ROM files work on my Plus flawless.

So, my conclusioin is: There are differences in the 6128 Plus itself. It may be due to different ASIC types, we know about some revisions already. Would be interresting to find out more. (My Plus is UK! Are the French Plus working different?).

I was one of those people  :D My Plus is using a Parados + Basic cartridge. If it's just executing machine code I guess that shouldn't be an issue though, hey?
Strangely my copy of R-Type from April shows no signs of the same issue on the Plus so it would appear on the surface that the issue has crept in since then?

TFM

Well, send em both DSK images then they can debug ;-) Good luck for all of you  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

dragon

QuoteThat would be interesting to see if the problem occurs on a cost down (CRTC type 4) CPC...

Oh,if you need test something in the cost down 6128 ask me.I happy to test it
QuoteSo, my conclusioin is: There are differences in the 6128 Plus itself. It may be due to different ASIC types, we know about some revisions already. Would be interresting to find out more. (My Plus is UK! Are the French Plus working different?).

You refer to the diferent colours in border on post withot cartridge?.

No,Only one version of asic is made(clif lawson said it comp.8bits).So you can discard this.But,the interesting i thing,is that in the short life of manufacture of the plus.Amstrad made five  motherboard revisions with very little changes.I don't know the exact changes,but Maybe the asic is affected im someway with the configuration around them and amstrad search fix it.

So an alternative aproach can be.¿What revision motherboards have the plus whith problems?
[/size]

Bryce

The differences in the Plus PCBs very only very minor changes to improve production and reduce the cost slightly. Also some slight changes were made to correct mistakes made on the first version. There were no PCB changes that had any affect on the ASIC.

Bryce.

TotO

Hello,

Because I can't update the website actualy, please found here:
- 3" Both sides
- 3"1/2 Dual side
- Manual
- Cover

Enjoy! :)

TotO.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

A french TV
news video archive ... ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

rexbeng

I like the way she pronounces "r-type". Sexy 8)

rb

MacDeath

QuoteI like the way she pronounces "r-type". Sexy
"herr" instead of "are"...?

TotO

"Air-Type"... Fly away!!!  :D

TotO

In case of you miss it, I take the time to update the downloads.  ;D

Game features page:
- 3" both sides DSK
- 3"1/2 dual side DSK
- HxC dual side HFE

Free Stuff page:
- Box cover PDF
- Pilot manual PDF

Always on : http://cpc.rtype.fr/

Shaun M. Neary

Haven't had a chance to play the remake, but I actually enjoyed the original when i first started playing it in late 88.
Could never get off level 4 though, even with the added benefit of slight slowness compared to the arcade version.

I guess back then, i was happy to see a CPC version, due to being a fan of it in the arcade.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Nearybut I actually enjoyed the original  
THANK YOU! As I've said time and again, I don't understand all the bashing. Yes, a speccy port and all that, but it was still an enjoyable game...

Oh, also, do play the remake - it's a fantastic piece of work. I'd pay money for it!

(oh wait, I did. But very little compared to its value).

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:02, 22 November 12
THANK YOU! As I've said time and again, I don't understand all the bashing. Yes, a speccy port and all that, but it was still an enjoyable game...

Oh, also, do play the remake - it's a fantastic piece of work. I'd pay money for it!

Speccy ports didn't always distract me as long as the game was playable. It was the lack of speed in R-Type that irritated me. Wonder Boy in Monsterland suffered the same fate too.
There have been plenty of fun games that were Speccy ports, WEC Le Mans, The Untouchables, hell, i even enjoyed Super Hang-On, for as long as i turned the volume down.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MacDeath

QuoteThere have been plenty of fun games that were Speccy ports, WEC Le Mans, The Untouchables
There are different levels of speccy ports.
Those two where well done as the whole graphics are in real CPC format... no 1bpp graphics converted into 2bpp as they get used, and a nice use of the mode1.

But yeah, some games managed to be nice despite being straighly ported.
I quite liked PacMania despite all the issues it has.

And the R-Type wasn't bad, just frustrating as it could have been a bit better looking, or even slightly faster in many ways provided more time for the lone coder and perhaps some help from an additional graphic artist (and musician).

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:41, 22 November 12

I quite liked PacMania despite all the issues it has.

Again, it's slowness ruined it for me. A little more speed and i'd have been happy with that :)

TotO

In 80s, the only way to play games in a best condition was to put coins on real arcade machines.
All computers and consoles ports are wrost when you look the real arcade version.

So, it's easy to said today "beter in arcade"... As easy today to get the real games PCB (I got tons of them), but it's not the retro-computing pleasure. Not the same tast. That all. ;)

Uppon a time, where arcade systems was better than home systems... In this time, you have dreams and you imagine your home games like them. No more today.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:02, 22 November 12
THANK YOU! As I've said time and again, I don't understand all the bashing. Yes, a speccy port and all that, but it was still an enjoyable game...

I enjoyed it too.

In the original r-type the playability is good, the speed is ok.

yes the graphics let it down.

the new r-type solves all that.

some speccy ports are nice and playable, and, for me, a lot is just "I wish it had much better graphics".
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

Quotesome speccy ports are nice and playable, and, for me, a lot is just "I wish it had much better graphics".
A lot of them could fairly run smoother provided they hadn't to deal with raster effect.

PacMania :
=sprites are masked, they could have been converted into 2bpp graphics with a routine to use one of the 4 sprites' ink as a mask = same amount of RAM for datas and 3 colours available for sprites (as used for Strider)
=The game uses actually a lot of rasters in order to get the Score zone (HUD) into many colours... while no raster at all could get the whole game faster despite "less colourfull". but hey, the games window is monocolour anyway, what's the point in having more colours for the HUD (and still some attributes artefacts)

Black Tiger
ok the game is not very good even on speccy... but still.
=masked 1bpp sprites (mask = 1bpp, sprites datas = 1bpp = 2bpp) could have been 3 coloured sprites, having different colour from the background.
=get rid of the rasters in order to gain a few CPU cycles
there you are, the games actually plays almost as fast as on speccy and sprites are "above" the background because differently coloured = better game.

=The original R-Type port could have been faster from the begining because the raster are only used for the score zone, which is like 2 character lines at bottom of the screen.
=The starfield could have run slowlier so the paralax effect would be better and the whole starfield would consume less CPU time too.

Still R-type was enjoyable and it was a nice performance to be able to port this alone in 3 weeks, many of this time being "wasted" in copy-protection implementation, I guess.
Also to be alone when doing a game is more difficult... sharing ideas and skills is always good and having different point of view can be helpfull to make the better choices.
I mean at the time, many Musicians and Graphic artists on those 8 bit machines were also somewhat coders themselves.. and could be helpfull.

00WReX

Just dusted off the old PSP and put R-Type on it running under the Caprice emulator.

Run's perfectly including all the intro.

[attach=2][attach=3][attach=4]

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki