News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Worst Ever Amstrad CPC Games

Started by Xyphoe, 07:19, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

Are any of the worst games mentioned here candidates for a rewrite, hopefully bringing it up to R-type quality?

DARKGATE

:) worst supreme list :)

:o E-SWAT 64K version
??? HOME RUNNER
:-\ HOUSE OF USHER
:o DOUBLE DRAGON 1-2  tape version
>:( F1 SIMULATOR
:-X THE GALACTIC PLAGUE
>:( GALIVAN
:o GLEEN HODDLE SOCCER  :o
>:( GRAND PRIX DRIVER (the best of s..t simulation)
:( GREYFELL
:o HELICHOPPER
>:( INDOOR RACE

>:( Sorry I can not continue I'm going to vomit.
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

khisanth

good list there, all pretty damn awful.

TFM

Well, and one could add most Ocean games which are mostly spectrum ports.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

trocoloco

darkgate i cant agree with you about The Galactic Plague, its true that tecnically its pretty short and frustating until you get with the controls and flow of the game. I remember when playing the first games and couldnt do a thing, that was so frustrating, but after getting the hang of it i really liked it and gave good hours of gaming.

And to contribute with this list, i have to add 3d invaders,  to my point of view it is a big sodding shhh :o :-\ ??? game

cpc4eva

Quote from: TFM/FS on 05:27, 14 February 12
Well, and one could add most Ocean games which are mostly spectrum ports.

not entirely true.... some of my fav games on cpc were from ocean / imagine - op wolf, op thunderbolt, navy seals on cart, robocop was brill and robocop 2 was good also,  batman the movie was quite good and so too were these - chase hq, pang, plotting, puzznic, rainbow islands smash tv (loved it)

wec le mans was speccy port but i have to give it did play well even if a little slow and no in game music just spot effects until u got to see your lap at end of game and at the start screen the music was brilliant

wizball was pretty damn poor on cpc i thought......

the untouchables speccy colour scheme but was it a speccy port ???

Puresox

Ocean and Imagine supplied Amstrad with a lot of decent stuff , They have a decent Hit rate... IMO

khisanth

with many games , it is hard to take them on their own merit if you have played the best version on another system. Like Wizball for example.

TFM

Or Trantor, Driller, Starglider and Starfox as some more examples...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

Trantor? Wich one is the best version?

SyX

Trantor is a nice short game (a year later it would transform in the first level of Savage :P),  there are only 4 versions:
ST = ShiT
C64, we could argue about the sid/ay but use a monochrome sprite for Trantor and for me destroy all the playability :P
Zx, well is zx :P
CPC nice details and colourful, of course, much better in floppy :P

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 20:34, 15 February 12
Trantor? Wich one is the best version?

The CPC version of course. That game was born and raised on the CPC  8)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I hadn't realised there's an ST version. Just tried it out. Tune is nice, but it surely lack the explosive qualities of the CPC version...

ukmarkh

These were the worst games I owned on the CPC:

Custard Pie Factory
Outrun
Green Beret
Line of Fire
Transmuter (Amazing on the Speccy)
Sultans Maze
Bionic Commando
Altered Beast (Had everything, but the lack of speed killed it)
Turbo Outrun
Alien Syndrome (amazing game, just bad CPC conversion)
Rambo 2
Pitfighter
Howard The Duck
Narc

cpc4eva

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:26, 17 February 12

Custard Pie Factory
Outrun
Green Beret
Line of Fire
Sultans Maze
Bionic Commando
Turbo Outrun
Rambo 2
Pitfighter
Howard The Duck
Narc

yeah they were terrible...... Pitfighter would have to be worst arcade conversion ever....... now that reminds me of another awful cpc game uchi mata anyone played that one ???

khisanth

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:26, 17 February 12

Custard Pie Factory
Outrun
Green Beret
Line of Fire
Sultans Maze
Bionic Commando
Turbo Outrun
Rambo 2
Pitfighter
Howard The Duck
Narc

1942, Alien Syndrome and Green Beret were all okay games, not terrible at all.

ahhhh Altered Beast forgot I owned that. Not a good conversion!

Token

Quote from: cpc4eva on 20:35, 17 February 12

yeah they were terrible...... Pitfighter would have to be worst arcade conversion ever....... now that reminds me of another awful cpc game uchi mata anyone played that one ???

I hated it lol, but now I think of it, if you are into Judo, it's must be something.

I didn't like Break Thru at all :D

Shaun M. Neary

Jesus! Some unfair picks here in my opinion...

Howard The Duck wasn't bad, it just required patience. Once you learned how to jump the swamps and cross the river, it wasn't that hard at all!
Rambo II wasn't bad either. That said, once you finished it, you weren't in a hurry to go back to it.
Green Beret had poor scrolling, but other than that I found it somewhat enjoyable.

I'd have to go with (and yes, some of these will make people gasp in horror):
Kung Fu Master
Express Raider
Elite (Never saw the appeal, shit graphics, terrible music and damn near impossible to get your craft into the hexagon!)
Most of those 3D Isometric games (Especially Knight Lore and Sweevos World)
California Games
R-Type
Zorro
Last Ninja 2
Xcel
3D Monster Chase
WWF Wrestlemania
Yie Ar Kung Fu II
Hoppin' Mad
Ghosts N' Goblins

Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

khisanth

Did you class ELITE as one of the worst games ever???????>:(

shit graphics? How can wire frame graphics be labelled shit? Do you think Asteroids in the arcade has shit graphics??!

TFM

Well, why are we bashing CPC games.... let's take a look at other systems...

... opening a new thread for that ...
TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:04, 13 February 14
Green Beret had poor scrolling, but other than that I found it somewhat enjoyable.

Have to agree with this. I remember Green Beret being a game I played quite a lot.

But I think it means a lot whether or not you know the original arcade version before you see and try the CPC version.
I never knew about the original arcade version of Green Beret. If I did, and had gotten used to it, then I might not have enjoyed the CPC version.

Likewise, I also enjoyed Commando, but hadn't tried the original arcade version first. And I've seen people complain about Commando being poor.

But Bubble Bobble......  never have I been so disappointed in my life about a CPC game.
And to see people say it's "alright" and "playable" or even "great" (as one of my kidbrother's mates says) just baffles me.
But I bet they never played the original arcade version as much as me.

ivarf

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 10:29, 05 September 11
When it comes to games lists like this, I'm kinda known for being consverative with my selections... and this is just the same!
It's only based on games I owned in the 80s/90s; so it doesn't include any games I've played since getting PC emulators & tons of .dsk files.

Amsoft (Bridge-it, Atom Smasher, Galactic Plague, Electro Freddy, Haunted Hedges, Rol-Ahoy, Rol-Caves, Rol-Run, Home Runner, Hunchback, Punchy, Mr Wong's, Qabbalah, Sultan's Maze, all sports related Amsoft games)
The Wild Bunch
Caves Of Doom
Chiller
Chopper Squad
Vampire Killer
Commando (No 3-channel music & no hiscore music! Disgusting)
Hi-Rise
Flimbo's Quest (No horizontal scrolling, so unplayable & crap title-music)
Ghouls
Knight Force
Kokotoni Wilf
Mr Freeze
Nemesis The Warlock (Load and listen to the music... but NEVER play the game)
Psycho Pigs UXB
<insert random name here> Simulator by Codemasters
St Dragon (horrible scrolling & graphics)
Starion
Trollie Wallie
Trashman

- Nothing controversial there, really!

I came 3 and half year late to this thread, but never mind.
Of those games you listed, I have fond memories of many of them. Many good games here really!

I liked all the games listed below, they have nothing to do in a list like this in my opinion.

Amsoft:
Galactic Plague
Electro Freddy
Roland Ahoy
Roland in the Caves
Hunchback

The Wild Bunch
Commando
Ghouls
Mr Freeze
Starion
Trollie Wallie

ivarf

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:55, 13 February 14
But Bubble Bobble......  never have I been so disappointed in my life about a CPC game.
And to see people say it's "alright" and "playable" or even "great" (as one of my kidbrother's mates says) just baffles me.
But I bet they never played the original arcade version as much as me.

Of course Bubble Bobble is playable and great. The CPC had many bad games and ports. Bubble Bobble was far from being one of the worse ones

khisanth

Bubble bobble was disappointing I agree, however it certainly was playable. So like most people at the time, as you didnt have a disposable income you had to stick with the games you bought and you would get the most of it.

There are many "officially" crap games out there on all systems, but they often turn into guilty pleasures if you persevere!

Token

I used to not like Electro Freddy back  ::)  But it totally changed in my mind.
A very nice 8 bit gameplay today with fun look (kiddy) and animation. So I bought the tape 2 weeks ago, and made it a classic for myself. Everyone got his own opinion and own representation of what is Amstrad.
Somehow it's nice to see how you like your Amstrad.  :D