News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

X-Mass help please

Started by 00WReX, 14:29, 26 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Hello, has anyone got any basic instructions for getting the X-Mass working.
Mine just arrived with the X-Mem.

The X-Mem was pre-configured with the custom firmware 3.15 with the expansion ROM in Rom Position 1 and also an X-Mass ROM in Rom Position 2.

|help on the X-Mass ROM gives me,

HD    D    CD    MD
RD    CP    MV    RM
DRIVE    DIR    ERA    REN

If I type, '|d' then 'cat' I get

Bad command.

With the FW3.15 disabled, typing '|d' then 'cat' I get

Drive D:/

Ready

I'm assuming because nothing is on the X-Mass.
But the activity light, stays on.

Typing cat again, flickers the LED off, but it then remains on ??

I have also tried copying files from floppy a: to d: but with no success.

|a
|cp,"test.bin",d

I'm not fully sure on the syntax...anybody got any pointers.

I also tried to run SymbOS, and that detects the X-Mem but as soon as i go  to Control Panel and select IDE it either locks up or does nothing (checking the setting and it still has drive A selected).

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TotO

Hey!

Forget about the X-MASS ROM... It is a WIP version.
I have sent to you my flash IC and forget to erase ROM 2.

You will have to wait for the final version to see more...  :P
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Awww that got me all excited that a release was imminent. Take your time @TotO, when we have waited 30 years, what's another month!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

00WReX

Hahaha, no problem. Forget I mentioned it.

I initially thought it was still a WIP but when I noticed the X-MASS ROM installed I thought that maybe I had missed something.

Sorry CraigsBar, nothing to see here  ;D (although I do seem to remember you getting SymbOS working with X-mass).

Cheer,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

CraigsBar

Quote from: 00WReX on 22:43, 26 February 15

Sorry CraigsBar, nothing to see here  ;D (although I do seem to remember you getting SymbOS working with X-mass).
I do, I have and it's awesome. A bit more than just a xmass tho. My 464plus has xmem, xmass, mini booster and play city boards. I'd love network support in symbos via the mini booster, but I guess xmass is amsdos will be first. By the way 6 channel sound in symamp is wonderful.

TFM

Quote from: 00WReX on 22:43, 26 February 15
...although I do seem to remember you getting SymbOS working with X-mass...

Could somebody please explain - step by step - how to do it?[nb]I mean really step by step.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 19:36, 27 February 15

Could somebody please explain - step by step - how to do it?[nb]I mean really step by step.[/nb]

OK, It's not that difficult.

I assume you have an X-Mem as well?

In which case you need to install the ROMS. Rom A can be anywhere between 1 and 15 (Excluding 7) and roms B,C and D can be anywhere, mine are in 29, 30 and 31.

So, once those are installed you also need a copy of the latest Symbos Release floppy discs (Both Symbos and Apps are needed), got those, excellent.

with this lot we are ready to start installing,

1. Plus the Symbos disc in your A: drive
2. Boot symbos (|sym) - Symbos will boot from rom to a desktop. then load the wallpaper etc, if you don't see the wallpaper then the config file was not loaded.
3. Launch the Control Panel form the shortcut on the desktop.
4. navigate to the Mass Storage Applet
5. Click the NEW button - populate the fields as detailled below
Name - XMass IDE
Uncheck Removable Media
Drive Letter - C
Check IDE Device
Master
Primary Partition 1
Click OK - If all goes well you now have a C: drive
6. Swap discs for the Apps Disc
7. Launch Sym Commander from the desktop
8. Navigate the Left pane to C: and the Right pane to A:
9. Click in the Left pane and then click Folder - Enter the Folder name as SYMBOS
10. Double click on the new SYMBOS folder to navigate into it.
11. Select all objects in the right pane. Click Copy - This will copy everything on the disc from A: to C:\SYMBOS
12. swap discs back to the Symbos Disc and reselect A in the right pane LOV to refresh the window
13. select the EXE, SGX and SAV files - copy these to C: \SYMBOS as before
14. close SymCommander
15. from the control panel select the System Applet
16. change the Boot Drive to C: and set the system path to C:/symbos/ finally check the load extensions checkbox and Click OK
17. From the Control Panel select the Display Applet
18. On the Desktop tab select c:\SYMBOS\Firesea.sgx
19. On the Saver tab select c:\SYMBOS\Scrstars.sav
20. click Start -> Settings -> Save (the config file will be saved to your floppy disc as Symbos.ini)
21. reopen SymCommander and copy the Symbos.ini from A: to the root of C:
once complete your C: drive should contain a SYMBOS folder and the Symbos.ini file
22. Your installation is complete. Remove the Floppy disc and reboot. with any luck you will now boot ina few seconds from the Xmass to the default desktop with Wallpaper and screensaver.

Enjoy it

Craig

TFM

Thanks! I'm sure this is helpful for a lot of people.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

00WReX

Thanks CraigsBar...yes I do have an X-Mem.
Before you replied with the detailed instructions. I did spend a bit of time in an attempt to get this working.

After a lot of stuffing around with incompatible ROMS (FW3.15 EXP and possibly the X-Mass ROM that I unofficially have).
Actually I was having some really random lockup and reboot results. And still having some strange behaviours such as SYMbOS not loading from floppy unless I have the X-Mass removed completely (initially this was working OK).

I had pretty much gone down the path/steps you mentioned, but except for a crucial step.
I forgot to save my settings after copying everything across to the X-Mass.

After rebooting the CPC, I can see all the SymbOS files from AmsDOS with the unofficial X-Mass ROM enabled.
But one thing I noticed was the .ini file is 0 bytes.
I believe this is causing my issues, because every time I fire up SymbOS (|sym) the LED on the X-Mass flickers (assume trying to read the .ini).
Anyway, because of this ?? I cannot read any SymbOS files from floppy and cannot access the X-mass because I did not save the IDE settings.
I am in a bit of a stalemate. The only way I can now get SymbOS to work properly is to remove the X-Mass and run the applications from floppy.
But because the X-Mass is not connected I cannot select and save the IDE settings...
So I am stuck unless there is another way to boot SymbOS without it checking the X-Mass after it boots.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

CraigsBar

OK, tell you what. I'll remove the drive from my xmass, image the content in a zip file and upload it. I just need to find a 40 to 44 pin adaptor.

radu14m

Great ideea !!
If you find guys a good adaptor that works let me know  ;)

Prodatron

Quote from: 00WReX on 04:41, 28 February 15
[...]such as SYMbOS not loading from floppy[...]
[...]But one thing I noticed was the .ini file is 0 bytes.
I believe this is causing my issues, because every time I fire up SymbOS (|sym) the LED on the X-Mass flickers (assume trying to read the .ini).
Anyway, because of this ?? I cannot read any SymbOS files from floppy[...]
I made a test and put a 0byte SymbOS.INI in the root directory of the harddisc. If you start SymbOS 2.1 from ROM with |SYM it is still able to access the floppy discs A+B as well as the harddisc as C (master, partition 1) after booting, as it found an INI there (even when this is only 0bytes). Only when SymbOS doesn't find any INI file on master partition 1 or master, unpartitioned, it will not add an IDE device as drive C. But you should always have access to floppy drive A + B in any case. So you should always be able to start the control panel from floppy disc and add an IDE device again.

So I wonder what happend to you installation, and if the INI is really 0 bytes or somehow corrupt. A corrupt INI file could cause all drives to disappear. It would be usefull if you could make a dump of your IDE device...

@CraigsBar: Thanks a lot for your help!

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Prodatron

@00WReX: Oops, I forgot to mention:
When you start the disc version of SymbOS it will not try to access the IDE device at all.
So if a corrupt INI file on the harddisc causes your problems, you should just start SymbOS from disc, then start the Control Panel from disc and add the IDE device again.
Now remove the existing INI file from harddisc (or have a look first, if it was really 0bytes) to be sure, that it doesn't make problems anymore. Now you can re-configure everything again.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:41, 28 February 15
OK, tell you what. I'll remove the drive from my xmass, image the content in a zip file and upload it. I just need to find a 40 to 44 pin adaptor.
Hmmm, My 40 to 44 pin adaptor is female on the 44 pin side, not male so I cannot simply plug the XMass Module in. so here comes the inevitable question, can I use a straight through gender changer such as this...

44 PIN Male Male IDC 2 5" IDE Laptop Gender Changer | eBay

or will I need to get/make one with 2 male connectors and a length of 44 way ribbon cable to swap every 2 pins the whole width of the cable? These IDE things wreck my head LOL.

Craig

TotO

I suggest to erase the X-MASS ROM as it is a WIP version that may cause problem.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

00WReX

I have spent some 'very frustrating' time trying many different options/variations.

So just to confirm, this is my setup.

CPC6128 with internal 3.5 inch drive. MotherX4 board with X-Mem and X-Mass fitted.

I went back to basics and wiped the X-Mem, with the official tools, init & install.

I also tried the X-Mass, stand alone.
Other than my initial access to the X-Mass, I have not been able to access it again with SymbOS.

Just to note, I also have been using an external 5v 2.2A power supply directly to the MotherX4.

I have been able to load SymbOS from floppy and configure the IDE drive and save the settings.

The X-Mass flickers the activity LED when I boot into SymbOS but that's as good as it gets.

If I go to Commander and select drive C, SymbOS seems to do a partial lockup.
I can still move the cursor around but any action I select does nothing, including if I attempt
to do a shut down from the start button. The Start menu opens, I select shut down and all that
happens is the start menu clears (I do not get the shutdown dialogue).

If I try SymbOS from ROMs (positions 10,11,12,13) It loads to the desktop but as soon as the
X-Mass LED flickers it locks up.

During all my mucking around I had some really strange results and nothing consistent.
One thing I did when I first got the X-Mem was to run 'Syx's' memory test program.
This went through fine and found 512KB expanded RAM and each block tested fine (Green block).

So after all my erratic results I decided to run the test again.
Initially I got mainly Red blocks (fail) with a few green blocks scattered about.
Then after a few more passes I consistently received all Red blocks.
After a bit of head scratching I got out another 6218 (a Schneider with the Centronics connector)
and the Memory check passed.

Back to my original 6128 with Edge connector I tried again and all Memory blocks failed.
I ran the test again and pressed on the ribbon connector to the MotherX4 and the test started
passing again. So i had a back connection in the ribbon cable connector.

I'm not sure if this has caused issues with the X-Mass and possibly corrupted it ??

Before I wiped the X-Mem with the unofficial X-Mass ROM, I did check the X-Mass contents again
and here is a picture of the screen. As you can see, I really did get to write stuff to it initially.
But have lost contact with it since and I have no other way at the moment to connect to it.

I suppose now that I have wiped the X-Mass ROM there is no way to wipe/erase/format the X-Mass from the CPC
until the ROM is officially released.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TotO

Nice CAT!  ;D

Please, what is your CPU model? If not Zilog, it should be the problem. (not on 6128)
Random bugs should be a contact problem. I suggest to take the time to clean your expansion connector.
Next, test each board individualy. The X-MEM red blocks should mean "wrong contacts".
Try to move the switchs too, may be they are not properly set.

TotO.

00WReX

Thanks Tot0,
The edge connector is clean and good, I have had a lower ROM & MegaFlash connected for a couple of years.
It is definetely the ribbon connector to the MotherX4. It is actually a bad connection at the Mx4 end.
When I press on the connector it works fine.

Also this CPC has a Zilog CPU.

I will just wait for the X-mass ROM now, and try again then  :) or when I receive the other X-Mass  ;)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

dxs

Had the same problem with the MX4 connector, those 50 wires connectors are prone to bad contacts. If you have a bench vise you can try squizzing it (carrefully) after protecting the jaws with some fabric.

TotO

I plug and unplug all your boards on my MotherX4 since 2 years, and have no contact problem.  :(

00WReX

My second X-Mass arrived safely today. Thank you very much TotO.

I have successfully set it up, running SymbOS on it.

My previous X-Mass must have some corrupt files as it causes SymbOS to hang.
I did find the ribbon connector between the MotherX4 was not making a good connection.
So i think this may have caused the issues when I was copying files to it.

I have fixed the connector issue and all is good.
When the ROM is released I will be able to wipe the other X-Mass to use it.
At the moment the first X-Mass is inaccessible (at least I can use the 2nd one, so all good).

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

radu14m

would be interesting to have then both up and running :)

00WReX

I gave BonnyDOS a try today (never used it before) and managed to get the 1st X-Mass formatted and working fine (under BonnyDOS).
I have copied and run files from it without issue.

So both X-Mass are up and running...BonnyDOS on one and SymBOS on the other.  :D

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

CraigsBar

Quote from: 00WReX on 11:06, 15 March 15
I gave BonnyDOS a try today (never used it before) and managed to get the 1st X-Mass formatted and working fine (under BonnyDOS).
I have copied and run files from it without issue.

So both X-Mass are up and running...BonnyDOS on one and SymBOS on the other.  :D

Cheers,
Shane
you got further with bonnydos that me then. I never manager to get anywhere with it and my symbiface, so I am really looking forward to acmedos.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:20, 15 March 15
you got further with bonnydos that me then. I never manager to get anywhere with it and my symbiface, so I am really looking forward to acmedos.
the ability to write files from the mini booster directly to the symbiface or xmass ide device will be wonderful. I'd like to see a symbos app to do it, but doing it from basic will be pretty awesome too.