News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bacteria completes epic Unity project, crams 15 consoles in one

Started by Gryzor, 08:00, 13 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

EgoTrip

I've got a machine that can run a lot more than 15 different systems. Its called a PC.

00WReX

Quote from: EgoTrip on 14:10, 13 April 13
I've got a machine that can run a lot more than 15 different systems. Its called a PC.

07:35 "You don't just play a retro game you experience it"  ;)

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

EgoTrip

I'm not in any way putting down his achievement, but you can experience games on emulators just as much as on original consoles.

00WReX

I think he was referring to the whole experience and feel...but admittedly with that big box and the controller, even that part of the whole experience is probably a bit lost (or would be for me).

With a games console, a lot of the experience is with the consoles original controller...something that you don't get with an emulator on a PC.

There are a lot of great emulators out there, and the guy that made that device acknowledged that.
They definately have a place and can be very useful, but no emulator is the same as an original console / computer.

I have a Sony PSP that has emulators for all those systems and does a great job...but nothing like the real thing...just handy that I can hold all those consoles in one hand.

And that is basically it for me, emulators are handy...but.

If you have a real CPC, then use an emulator (no disrespect to the people that make those possible) then it is just not the same (I'm sure even the people that create the emulators feel the same way).

Obviously for most people it is not practical to have all the consoles ever made so an emulator at least gives you the option to try things.

I use a CPC emulator a bit, a lot of the time to test things...like a game, a new demo or a ROM for example.
If I like the look of it I immediately throw it on a floppy and run it on a real CPC.

Probably been said a million times, but if you can get to watch the Batman demo or play a new game like R-Type on the real hardware it is very impressive...not quite as Wow on an emulator on your PC.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

beaker

I don't know hey, impressive as it is, it's one step away from using an emulator for me.

1. Half of the enjoyment of picking up these old systems nostalgia; admiring the design and interacting with them as I did in years gone by. There's something that feels right picking up a Snes controller to play Mario Kart on a CRT, or playing Sonic using a Sega controller.
2. I think it would drive me mental using his controller because of the design in regards to bulk, button positions and remapped keys.
3. All the consoles look a bit neutered in that it doesn't look like he can use add-ons like the microphone for Seaman, VMU's etc

Still, give him credit if you don't have the space for all those machines, it is a neat solution.