Author Topic: New CRPG (development)  (Read 2318 times)

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
Re: New CRPG (development)
« Reply #25 on: 22:32, 05 August 21 »
Wow, it was harder than I expected!

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1423365508603289604

I mean, considering what is shown in the video... it wasn't easy to get everything in :)

The good thing is that the data structures to drive that are real, so I can represent the PC in the game; or most of it. Anyway, I should move faster, and don't spend too much time on things because *a pixel*.
No reactions
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse and Brick Rick for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 01:18, 15 August 21 »
Important milestone: loading content from disc! :D

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1426668623985266695

With a little help from my friends here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/using-disc-via-firmware/

I still need to do some bits (including saving to disc), but it is looking promising!
No reactions
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse and Brick Rick for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 17:53, 22 August 21 »
Slow progress is progress!

I'm still working on internal structures, 5-bit text support, and things like that.

Also reviewing the UI to make it readable on a green screen:

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1429455867527761926

Nothing fancy but works also in monochrome, and probably better for people having issues to "see" colours.
No reactions

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 00:51, 25 August 21 »
I have the essentials for inventory management. Implementing menus isn't really the most fun, but hey!

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1430284611079311365

Now that I can equip and manage inventory, it is probably time to tackle the first part of the combat.

EDIT: I've read reports that it is possible that twitter may start requiring login to read tweets. When (if) that happens, I will stop sharing videos here via twitter; probably will use a different place for that, or may be it would be the end of WIP videos. In any case, I don't like that and nobody should need a twitter account to watch these short clips; despite being convenient to me.
« Last Edit: 13:11, 25 August 21 by reidrac »
No reactions

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 10:16, 25 August 21 »
Haven't heard about it and nothing is impossible of course, but I find it a bit improbable... it will break all those tons of embeds everywhere for many people...

Oh, also: great job, it's amazing how much info you can stuff into this low resolution :)
No reactions

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: 00:48, 29 August 21 »
I finally rewrote the wall of text and is fast and smooth now!

https://twitter.com/reidrac/status/1431709445944401936

I put back some code to add colour that I had removed to make the old version less painful  :picard:

Screenshot_2021-08-28_22-44-56.png
* Screenshot_2021-08-28_22-44-56.png
(Filesize: 245.69 KB, Dimensions: 1153x840, Views: 259)

Equipped a dagger, but then tried to equip a shield and is not allowed by class (Isolde is a wizard).

This is looking good!  ;D

EDIT: oops! that screenshot is a bit large; will be more careful!
« Last Edit: 00:50, 29 August 21 by reidrac »
No reactions

Offline arkive

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: 13:47, 04 September 21 »
Looking great already, and as it's my favourite genre, and rather under-represented in modern gamedev, I sincerely hope you can get it over the finishing line. But I can imagine it might be a long and arduous quest :)
No reactions

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: 20:51, 04 September 21 »
Looking great already, and as it's my favourite genre, and rather under-represented in modern gamedev, I sincerely hope you can get it over the finishing line. But I can imagine it might be a long and arduous quest :)

Yep, and by the looks of it, with many many side quests as well! :D
No reactions

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Today at 16:05 »
Quick update after a month+ being very quiet.

I made some optimisations and I've started cleaning the code a bit after moving forward very quickly, and now that I've been researching cartridge, I'm having second thoughts on supporting disc using the firmware on/off: it is hacky and messy.

Yes, it works, but it also makes some things super awkward. So I'm considering moving to cartridge now: targetting both Dandanator and CPC+ cartridge, so it will be easy to play digital or in real hardware using some add-ons supporting CPR files.

The question is how to save progress; but then, I guess I could support different strategies (like I abstracted the bank change code). With Dandanator seems easy enough, and I could explicitly support some of the existing add-ons (like the M4 and probably USIfAC II -even is not too common for now-).

Anyway, just thinking now before it is too expensive to change my mind!
Members reacted like:
Gryzor,ago,manossg,

Offline dthrone

• CPC6128
    • SOHDE
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Today at 16:19 »
targetting both Dandanator and CPC+ cartridge, so it will be easy to play digital or in real hardware using some add-ons supporting CPR files.

The question is how to save progress;

Anyway, just thinking now before it is too expensive to change my mind!

Excited to hear about a plus cart version!  Can you include a password system for saving or is there too much save data to encode into a password?
Members reacted like:
reidrac,GUNHED,

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Today at 16:24 »
Excited to hear about a plus cart version!  Can you include a password system for saving or is there too much save data to encode into a password?

Likely to be too much data, if I want to do it properly!

I haven't discarded saving to disc. If is save only, that would remove most of the awkwardness. Saves should be less frequent, or that's what I think at least!
No reactions

Offline ago

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Today at 18:09 »
I have no preference on the format as I could play any of them on real hardware. That's said, from my point of view the choice is clear: DES/Dandanator, as you could do saves to the cartridge.
I understand the dilemma, as PLUS carts are "real" Amstrad stuff and more users could play the game. On the other hand, more games being released in DES format would motivate more people to get the hardware. Or you can use the original Dandanator, which does not need any extra hardware to be used (but it is more expensive).

Truth is that any format which is not 64kb CDT/DSK will leave people behind.
Whatever the choice you make, thanks a lot Reidrac for sharing you thoughts and for your nice games!!!
No reactions

Offline andycadley

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Today at 18:25 »
Disclaimer: I've not looked too deeply, but maybe a QR code?

https://github.com/leiradel/qrc1

Although, depending on how much data you need to save (and how much can be derived) there may be other ways of building a suitable passcode generation tool.
No reactions