News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Emulators / Re: ACE for Linux,Mac, Windows...
Last post by d_kef - 17:33, 01 October 24
Direct sector read/write is only available for USB storage devices. 
This is explicitly stated in the CH376 datasheet. 

d_kef
Quote from: GUNHED on 12:33, 01 October 24Our of curiosity, how much CPCs were there?
Great question! :D

Exactly ONE :picard: . Yes, I was the only one this time, that was crazy.
The same for the PCW.
So this year more Amstrad NCs (EdoZ and mine) than CPCs haha.
But no problem, there were very few C64 (maybe 4) and Amiga/Atari ST as well (less then 3 or so I think).
The winner for the classic homecomputers was the MSX this year, 6 or 7, wow!

These Classic Computing guys really like more special, old and curious machines.
Last post by Prodatron - 17:04, 01 October 24
@teopl : Phew that's good to hear! :)
I still have to add the Albireo mass storage driver again. It was already there, but somehow I then only used it for the USB mouse, as I thought there are other mass storages anyway, which is probably stupid.

I just wonder if mounting a host directory in ACE supports direct sector read/write? Or does it "only" support the high level filesystem functions of the CH376? I guess only the latter one?
In this case it won't help, as SymbOS has its own FAT12/16/32 filesystem system implementation in Z80 and is accessing storages directly on sector level.

We are currently planning to add highlevel "HostFS" support in SymbOSVM. If this is done, maybe it could be implemented for hardware like the CH376 as well.
Last post by teopl - 16:28, 01 October 24
Quote from: Prodatron on 09:50, 01 October 24
Quote from: teopl on 22:24, 30 September 24I uploaded video here (valid for 2 days only sorry)

But, I already tried the "SYMBIFACE MOUSE" + "SYMBIFACE RTC" and still mouse does not move in SymbOS.

Also mouse is captured so macOS mouse is not visible until I press F9.

Maybe someone with macOS can try?
The "AMX mouse" always works, as this is just the joystick :D
The SF2 mouse + RTC have to be active already during booting. Did you switch it on in ACE before booting SymbOS?
As an alternative, does the Multiplay mouse work? (activate it before booting)

@Prodatron This works thank you!!! I mean switching SF2 mouse + RTC *before* starting SymbOS!

Much better... :)

I have no idea why I did not try this, I guess maybe it bothered me to have the mouse pointer stolen from host OS while I was typing "|SYM"... :|

I was also able to see files from macOS folder inside an ACE-DL emulation using Albireo plugin (like described in video here in forum topic - btw @roudoudou thanks for video - I think link to it should also be on your ACE web page ... hehe).

Is it possible to also see these files (while using Albireo plugin) from SymbOS? This would be perfect way to share files from host OS to SymbOS... For example for quick cross platform development...

If not, then I guess making .dsk or .img (Xmass-IDE) would be best alternative to make files from host OS visible to SymbOS?
News & Events / Re: Benediction Coding Party 4
Last post by Prodatron - 16:15, 01 October 24
LaSTiC and me are looking forward to it a lot! :)
Programming / Re: The Genius of Amstrad I/O ...
Last post by Prodatron - 16:10, 01 October 24
Quote from: andycadley on 14:38, 01 October 24I think the 16-bit address on the bus during IO might not have been initially documented, but was added to later revisions as so many people relied upon it and so Zilog just made it official
So maybe for OUT(C),r they reused some logic/microcode from LD (BC),A , so it was more an accident, that the B register is put to the upper 8 address bits?

I couldn't find a hint how the 8080 handles IN/OUT (n). The documentations I found didn't mention, that A is used for the upper 8bits.
If the upper 8bits are just random on a 8080, and only Zilog introduced this for the Z80, then they seem to have it in mind to provide 16bit I/O support.
News & Events / Re: AMSTEAM: WIP game streamin...
Last post by poulette73 - 15:05, 01 October 24
Tested 6 differents versions of Enlightenment Druid II :
- real 3" floppy on CPC 6128 CRTC1 and TFT : screen flickering.
- real 3" floppy on CPC 6128 CRTC4 and TFT : game reset.
- DSK on emulator Caprice64 CRTC1 : screen flickering.
- DSK on emulator Caprice64 CRTC0 : game is OK

The easiest way is to abandon this game for AMSTEAM (not stable enough for a streaming platform intended for multiple CPC hardware configurations)
Programming / Re: The Genius of Amstrad I/O ...
Last post by McArti0 - 14:55, 01 October 24
Read I/O used one register only. 
LD A,#BF
IN A, (n)

n - can be used as a variable yet.
Games / Re: Vespertino
Last post by Shaun M. Neary - 14:50, 01 October 24
Quote from: GUNHED on 12:39, 01 October 24
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:32, 01 October 24
Quote from: Anthony Flack on 07:27, 01 October 24You can get a lot more work done when people are paying you to do it full time and the games make actual profit.
The ultimate problem with that (as it was in the day) is where there's money, there are deadlines. And games were rushed to make deadlines, and in a lot of cases, unfinished messes!

So in this respect, as much as as it contradicts my opinion, I'm happy that they're taking care and the time necessary. Five years + is a long time, however if it delivers it's promises, it'll be well worth it and in my opinion, will be a very historical day, not just for Amstrad users, but the 8 bit scene in general. And maybe that's what BG are going for.

Fingers crossed...
You're definitely right about that. It all takes it's time - and there is no company with unlimited man-power behind.  ;) :)
As I've said before, if they hadn't shot the load back in 2019 with the first initial preview, we'd have been none the wiser. They could have kept working on it, took a break for the demo and then done the preview after the demo and it wouldn't have been a five year wait in the minds of everyone else waiting on it. Not saying they should have done it that way, just saying that's what I'd have done in that situation, but of course that's very easy to say.

But hey... shoulda woulda coulda...
Games / Re: Which Spectrum ports or ot...
Last post by Shaun M. Neary - 14:47, 01 October 24
Now that I think about it...

Toobin - I'm not sure this would have worked in Mode 0 without looking like a horrible mess, but I actually had fun with this one, although it helped that I was a fan of the arcade.

Deflektor - This is a blatant Spectrum port, but it's done so well that people forget to mention the fact that it's a Spectrum port! And it's a complete classic in the process.

SDI - Again, because I was a fan of this in the arcade, I wasted a lot of hours blasting away at this. It's significantly slower than it's Spectrum counterpart but doesn't take away from the gameplay in my opinion.

Bosconian 87 - Not an official arcade license, but it's still fun to play. My only gripe is the sprites are so big for such a small playing area, but in a warped way, that added to the challenge of the game too.