News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The compatibility of the M4 card...

Started by Mr. DVG, 17:26, 27 October 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. DVG

Hello everyone!
I open this thread because I am exhaustively trying out many titles for the M4 and I am finding that some of them are unfortunately not compatible. I do this to entice the production of dedicated versions (for mass storage) that can work with this card and thus decrease the incompatibility list. These are some of the incompatible titles, but the list will certainly grow over time! Maybe let's update it together if you want!  ;)

GAMES:

• 20000 Lieues Sous Les Mers
  • Arachnophobia
  • Attentat
  • Au Nom de l'Hermine
  • Baby Jo - Going Home
  • Battle Command
  • Big Band
  • Black Land
  • Bloodstone
  • Blue Angel 69
  • Blueberry
  • Bob Winner
  • Booly
  • Color Lines
  • Compilation-Time and Motion
  • Double Dragon "good version" (run, but small graphic bugs at the top and bottom of the screen)
  • Eagle's Rider
  • Enlightenment - Druid II (a single dump running between all those available and the screen flickers dramatically - probable fix crtc?)
  • Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O' Fun
  • Fres Fighter II Turbo
  • Elf - La Aventura
  • Exterminator
  • Galaxy Force
  • Imperial Majong
  • La Crypte des Maudits
  • Le Synopsis de Biat
  • Little Computer People Discovery Kit
  • Ludic: Break the Loop
  • Mega Twins (Demo)
  • Megablasters
  • Megablasters: Escape from Castle in the Cloud
  • Mystical
  • No Exit
  • Orion Prime
  • Sdaw
  • Silva - Le Temple Du Diable
  • Targhan
  • The Bard's Tale
  • The Battle of Midway
  • The Pawn
  • The Shadows of Sergoth
  • Wonder Boy (Tried all the dumps. They work, but there is a random bug that corrupts the soundtrack. It happens only on the M4.)
  • Xyphoes Fantasy
DEMO:

• 30 Years Amstrad Megademo
  • Batman Forever
  • Pheelone
  • Phortem
  • Phreaks
=====================
UPDATE - END OF WORK?
At the moment I stop here, having tried hundreds and hundreds of titles for Amstrad CPC! Attached to this post I insert a downloadable .zip file where I have collected more than 1300 titles tested and working on the M4.

Inside the file you will also find the list of titles and other useful files such as various configurations, the SymbOS and the "famous front-end" of rafa 32.  ;D

Thank you all for your cooperation!  :-*

Download file: https://mega.nz/#!VUlU1Y6I!Gsbmj-PHukY0vp-fss8BDSQgOTN1BE1GzE8xUzPNcjE

Duke

It's a good idea.
Some of the games I may find fun to fix/crack (maybe others will too), but probably there is also versions already working fine of some those.

Ie. Double Dragon works fine, if you get the CACH version from here:
http://cpccrackers.free.fr/Downloads/
(it's a really good resource to find other cracks than those on CPC POWER).

Fairly sure DD 2 also works fine.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Duke on 21:17, 27 October 19
It's a good idea.
Some of the games I may find fun to fix/crack (maybe others will too), but probably there is also versions already working fine of some those.

Ie. Double Dragon works fine, if you get the CACH version from here:
http://cpccrackers.free.fr/Downloads/
(it's a really good resource to find other cracks than those on CPC POWER).

Fairly sure DD 2 also works fine.

Perfect! Slowly I am updating the list with new titles that are not working. I tried the CACH version of Double Dragon from the CPCCRACKERS site, but it seems to be down. The awful versions of Animagic work well (unfortunately), while those of Binary Design-Mastertronic don't want to know how to work!  :(

Duke

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 22:37, 27 October 19
I tried the CACH version of Double Dragon from the CPCCRACKERS site, but it seems to be down. The awful versions of Animagic work well (unfortunately), while those of Binary Design-Mastertronic don't want to know how to work!  :(
Please check this post, http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/amstrad-cpc-wifi/msg179137/#msg179137
Of course if you do not use the modified lowerrom or set M4 rom to 7, then many games wont work. Also they need 128KB, IIRC.

Shamice

Thanks for the previous link.I found a version of X-Out that works on the M4  :D cpccrackers.free.fr/Downloads/XOR/X-Out_XOR%284%29.rar
Is there a version of the R-Type Remake (128Kb) operational for the M4 card?

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Shamice on 17:17, 28 October 19
Thanks for the previous link.I found a version of X-Out that works on the M4  :D cpccrackers.free.fr/Downloads/XOR/X-Out_XOR%284%29.rar
Is there a version of the R-Type Remake (128Kb) operational for the M4 card?
impossible, someone would have to check out the game to make it compatible with the M4
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Duke

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 17:26, 27 October 19
GAMES:

• Cabal
  • Double Dragon (Binary Design-Virgin-Melbourne House)
  • Double Dragon 2 - The Revenge (Virgin-Mastertronic)
  • Double Dragon 3
  • Dragon Spirit
  • Final Fight
  • Flimbo's Quest (Kino&Hufo version run with bug)
  • Hudson Hawk
All of the above work in the (mainly) XOR versions from the Amstrad Games CD ->
http://www.amstrad.es/cpcgamescd/

Probably most of the games on the list are there and working (I stopped testing after those).
It's a must have collection for M4 board as almost all the games in it are proper cracked versions that work fine (may need modified lowerrom or set M4 rom as 7).

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Duke on 07:15, 28 October 19
Please check this post, http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/amstrad-cpc-wifi/msg179137/#msg179137
Of course if you do not use the modified lowerrom or set M4 rom to 7, then many games wont work. Also they need 128KB, IIRC.

Ok, I realized I had some problems and maybe I'm not able to solve them due to lack of technical ability. I will try to make you understand my situation. I use the M4 without the online support. I prepared the M4 to work with the Targhan frontend, which allows you to access the list of games and upload them directly from there. The focal point is that I don't think I understand what it means to set the M4 with "modified lowerrom or set M4 rom to 7". Sorry for my obvious incapacity ... :(

villain

Quote from: Duke on 19:23, 28 October 19
All of the above work in the (mainly) XOR versions from the Amstrad Games CD ->
http://www.amstrad.es/cpcgamescd/

Slightly off-topic, but does anybody know if there will ever be an updated version of the CPCGamesCD? @MiguelSky

Duke

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 19:40, 28 October 19
Ok, I realized I had some problems and maybe I'm not able to solve them due to lack of technical ability. I will try to make you understand my situation. I use the M4 without the online support.
Ok, here is a modified lowerrom installer I just made. It is for CPC 6128 and it is the English lowerrom it installs.

Just copy the file to your microSD card and from Basic:
RUN"M4LOW-EN.BIN"

It will ask you to press M4 reset (or power cycle) when it's installed.

If anything goes wrong, put the microSD card into a PC and delete from folder M4 the files ROMCONFIG.BIN and ROMSLOTS.BIN to set it back to default settings.

If everything goes as planned it should have installed the modified lowerrom into romslot 31 and you can run all the games (almost) \o/

Duke

And while I am at it....

Here is an installer for CPC464 users, that will:
Install Basic 1.1 and corresponding lower rom (English version!).
And for best compatiblity it will set M4 rom to 7.

Just copy the attached file ROMUP464.BIN to your microSD card and from Basic type:
RUN"ROMUP464.BIN

If anything goes wrong, put the microSD card into a PC and delete from folder M4 the files ROMCONFIG.BIN and ROMSLOTS.BIN to set it back to default settings.

If everything goes as planned your CPC464 will now display Basic 1.1.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Duke on 20:44, 28 October 19
Ok, here is a modified lowerrom installer I just made. It is for CPC 6128 and it is the English lowerrom it installs.

Just copy the file to your microSD card and from Basic:
RUN"M4LOW-EN.BIN"

If everything goes as planned it should have installed the modified lowerrom into romslot 31 and you can run all the games (almost) \o/

Ooookei! The file works really well and I'm really very happy for that, thank you very much. :D

I would say to leave the thread open and update the list with the versions that work in such a way as to increasingly skim the list of incompatibilities!

Do you have the French keyboard layout file? Installing this changed all the keystrokes! :doh:

P.S. - I updated the list! Now those that are left out are really a handful of titles and some of them are multi-disc games that are not supported by M4 (correct?). Obviously I invite everyone to report games, programs and demos not working with M4, maybe in the future we will be able to have 100% compatibility with this fantastic card! Thank you all! :-*

MiguelSky

Quote from: villain on 19:48, 28 October 19
Slightly off-topic, but does anybody know if there will ever be an updated version of the CPCGamesCD? @MiguelSky
I'd like to launch another one at the end of the year, when CPCRetroDev games have been released. Thank you for the interest :)

TotO

Chany released a lot of games as "files versions" into the past, probably the R-TYPE (128K) one will works with mass-storage if you can found it.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Duke

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 21:39, 28 October 19
Do you have the French keyboard layout file? Installing this changed all the keystrokes! :doh:

Just assembled with French and Spanish modifed lowerrom's aswell. Attached to this post.

P.S. - I updated the list! Now those that are left out are really a handful of titles and some of them are multi-disc games that are not supported by M4 (correct?). Obviously I invite everyone to report games, programs and demos not working with M4, maybe in the future we will be able to have 100% compatibility with this fantastic card! Thank you all! :-*

Cool.
Multi-disc games are supported, currently you will need to either:
1) use Web Interface to change the DISC (may add this feature to HACK menu sometime).
OR
2) Extract all the files from both discs into the same directory and run the game from there (use |DSKX ...)

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Duke on 07:55, 29 October 19
Just assembled with French and Spanish modifed lowerrom's aswell. Attached to this post.

Cool.
Multi-disc games are supported, currently you will need to either:
1) use Web Interface to change the DISC (may add this feature to HACK menu sometime).
OR
2) Extract all the files from both discs into the same directory and run the game from there (use |DSKX ...)
Thanks again Duke, now everything works great! :D

I found the version of R-Type Reload (by Chany) that works on the M4, placed here the file in download. To make it work, insert it in the root of the sd, then enter the folder and type RUN"RTYPE. Have fun! ;)

For Shadow of Sergoth instead I can't extract the files because inside the dsk many of them have the same name! ::)

XeNoMoRPH

I have tried to run that version of R-Type from the M4 board and it does not finish loading, I get this message " Inserez Le disc 2 Face 1 ", and and then try to read from the floppy drive  :o

Mr. DVG

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 10:51, 29 October 19
I have tried to run that version of R-Type from the M4 board and it does not finish loading, I get this message " Inserez Le disc 2 Face 1 ", and and then try to read from the floppy drive  :o
I honestly don't know, I use Thargan's frontend to upload files directly into folders and it works! ::)

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 11:04, 29 October 19
I honestly don't know, I use Thargan's frontend to upload files directly into folders and it works! ::)
Where can I get that "Thargan's frontend"? , Thank you  :)

TotO

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 10:51, 29 October 19and then try to read from the floppy drive  :o
Because R-TYPE "RELOAD"  :laugh:
I don't know who found this strange name... It is not related to the game.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Mr. DVG

Quote from: TotO on 11:28, 29 October 19
Because R-TYPE "RELOAD"  :laugh:
I don't know who found this strange name... It is not related to the game.  :-\
Sorry, Reloaded! font by CPCRULEZ! ;D

TotO

Reloaded, Enhanced, Bullshitted, ...  :laugh:  But no link with the good name + year.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 11:18, 29 October 19
Where can I get that "Thargan's frontend"? , Thank you  :)
The site to download the frontend is the address:

http://rafa32gr.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/wordpress/m4-explorer/

and the necessary files to insert in the root of the SD

rafa32gr.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/ftp/m4v1/m4.bas
rafa32gr.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/ftp/m4v1/rutinas.bin
rafa32gr.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/ftp/m4v1/tracker.bin

After inserting these three files into the root, create another folder and rename it "Games" (or whatever the hell you want) by inserting the files in your favorite games into it. Disconnect the SD card from the PC, insert it into the M4 and switch back to the CPC. Now type RUN"M4 and the frontend will load, showing you this screen:

(see attached screen)

The arrow keys enjoyed to navigate, ENTER to enter the folder (and inside the dsk files), with the U key you will return to the previous directory and with the R key you will load your games, nothing simpler ... have fun! ;)

XeNoMoRPH

aaaaah .. that's the M4 explorer frontrend from Rafa32   :laugh:

Mr. DVG

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 12:17, 29 October 19
aaaaah .. that's the M4 explorer frontrend from Rafa32   :laugh:
Yesss...  :D