News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

WIP: Now That's What I Call Chip Tunes (WinAPE)

Started by tastefulmrship, 11:10, 29 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 08:43, 02 July 13@MaV: The 10 you mention is correct, but it's kilos and not years that needs to be improved :D
Funny, I always thought that girls gain weight with age, so there's no contradiction at all ;) Though the chubby one at the left could shed a few pounds already.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Gryzor

Well, the two leftmost ones tend to raise the average...

MacDeath

Quotehowever... something seems wrong AGAIN!
That's Rarity, you loosy crook of no faith and low principles...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:57, 02 July 13
That's Rarity, you loosy crook of no faith and low principles...
Ah, ok!

That's it... this is MY LAST ATTEMPT! (of Rainbowshy x2, Pinkie Dash & Nightmarity in CPC palettes)

(And I promise to stop posting ponies in this thread... I'll only post shitely converted chip tunes that make a mockery of the originals! ^_^)

Gryzor

tastefulmrship

Just a little update to my conversion library;

Here's the Amiga PD version of Boulderdash (by Ruben Montiero) as well as the Comic Bakery (by Martin Galway) music file.
I really wanted to rasterise the ASCII logo, but didn't get time to look into how the living feck to even do that! (I know how, I'm just too lazy!)

Enjoy!

eliot

Nice Boulder Dash musics... 2 and 3 are the most successfull ones imho.

TomEtJerry

Really nice job, as usual !  Can you tell us were the tunes come from (I didn't managed to find them). Good effort for the presentation, even it would have been better with little flashing lights in the Rockford diamon :-).

Neil79

Can we have a list of all the DSK releases so far with links so I can download direct for my HxC? :)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

tastefulmrship

Quote from: eliot on 22:15, 04 August 14
Nice Boulder Dash musics... 2 and 3 are the most successfull ones imho.
Thank you. #2 was the first one I converted and my favourite; I grabbed it from an olde intro and then had to search for the others to complete the soundtrack. I quite like how #1 turned out, but as soon as I get a HxC, I'll get the volumes balanced properly.

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 20:53, 07 August 14
Really nice job, as usual !  Can you tell us were the tunes come from (I didn't managed to find them). Good effort for the presentation, even it would have been better with little flashing lights in the Rockford diamon :-).
Thank you, sir. I found the others (after converting #2) on my usual source of Amiga awesomeness; AMP. [LINK]
Other than rasterising the ASCII, I was going to have his eyes blinking, but I never got around to it.

I still have to get Bill's Tomato Game onto the CPC, so I'll make sure it's a bit more animated!
You can hear my initial YMs here: Arkos Tracker player with Digidrums

Quote from: Neil79 on 20:59, 07 August 14
Can we have a list of all the DSK releases so far with links so I can download direct for my HxC? :)
Ok, if you insist; the Epyteor releases are at CPC-Power and mostly in this thread.

The other "notable" releases are:
Battle Squadron Music - For rexbeng -- Battle-oh Squad-Ah-Rhon Intro/Title Music on CPC
The Hybris ingame tune - For rexbeng -- Battle-oh Squad-Ah-Rhon Intro/Title Music on CPC
Parasol Stars - Bubble Bobble
Super Mario Land - Gameboy Ports?

I currently have 70+ musics converted and (nearly) ready for my #4 music-disk release... but I want to listen to them on my new 6128 first.

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Neil79 on 19:41, 08 August 14
Amstrad CPC 6128 - Now that's what I call chiptunes! - YouTube
Those are the WinAPE2A17 volumes... there's a WinAPE2A18 version floating around somewhere!

EDIT: If you really want to promote any of them, then "THIS MUSICDISK IS ABOUT 20% COOLER" is the only one that has been tested on real hardware (by MaV).

EDIT: Also forgot the transfer of the Atari ST Xenon 2: Megablast tune to ayc - Followup on Xenon 2 discussion in the ShoutBox... - no conversion, this is a direct sound from .ym to .ayc; I did no work on the tune at all! This is 100% David Whittaker.

Neil79

Can you do any Amiga/C64 soundtrack to CPC? Or do they have to be remixes

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Neil79 on 12:23, 09 August 14
Can you do any Amiga/C64 soundtrack to CPC? Or do they have to be remixes
I usually work with original .mod or .sid files (and the odd rework; like Uridium2, Streethawk or Still Alive). Spectrum/Atari sound files can be copied directly from .ym to .ayc, so no actual conversion required there (except for some frequency adjustments via AYEmul).

Do you have any specific title(s) you're interested in?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Neil79 on 23:05, 09 August 14
Instant Remedy - OUTRUN - YouTube
daXX - Golden Axe (In Game Theme Orchestra Remix) - YouTube
Flimbo's Quest - YouTube

Cauldron Remix w/ Halloween Music (Commodore 64) - YouTube
From these alone;
- Jas Brooke has already done a great OutRun version for the original game release, but there are a lot of re-remixes on Amiga for all 3 main tunes. A quick search on AMP gives 34 results. I might find a minimalist version and play with it.
- Again, Golden Axe was released on CPC, so the .ym already exists, but maybe a go at the entire soundtrack from the Amiga? I'm not sure. I still have the Torvak soundtrack to do, first.
- Flimbo's Quest - I already have the title, ingame, Dazz Bazian, game over & completed musics done. An Arkos/WinAPE2A18 version of them all exists and is floating around somewhere. I never liked the C64 intro musics (although almost every RKO remix uses that tune you linked to) and, to be honest, have no intention of ever converting it to CPC. I really hate it.
- Cauldron; no need to say anything about this. Super Cauldron alreay has a decent remix of this simple, but memorable tune.

If you really want to make a "Sound of Indie Retro News" AY music disk, then mixing reworks in with the originals would be a way forward, unless you want a number of actual CPC musicians (McKlain, Egotrip, T&J, Targhan, mr_lou, etc) to put their own original style to existing musics. I'm sure they would be happy enough to do so; I'm just a reworker and have no actual talent, those guys are the real stars of the CPC and this would be a great way of showcasing their talents to a wider audience. Perhaps.

As for the other Amiga titles; I'll grab what I can from ExoticA and see what I can do.

Carnivius

I really like that CPC version of the Uridium 2 loading music.  Any chance of the title tune too as it's one of my all time faves. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Neil79

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 09:09, 10 August 14
From these alone;
- Jas Brooke has already done a great OutRun version for the original game release, but there are a lot of re-remixes on Amiga for all 3 main tunes. A quick search on AMP gives 34 results. I might find a minimalist version and play with it.
- Again, Golden Axe was released on CPC, so the .ym already exists, but maybe a go at the entire soundtrack from the Amiga? I'm not sure. I still have the Torvak soundtrack to do, first.
- Flimbo's Quest - I already have the title, ingame, Dazz Bazian, game over & completed musics done. An Arkos/WinAPE2A18 version of them all exists and is floating around somewhere. I never liked the C64 intro musics (although almost every RKO remix uses that tune you linked to) and, to be honest, have no intention of ever converting it to CPC. I really hate it.
- Cauldron; no need to say anything about this. Super Cauldron alreay has a decent remix of this simple, but memorable tune.

If you really want to make a "Sound of Indie Retro News" AY music disk, then mixing reworks in with the originals would be a way forward, unless you want a number of actual CPC musicians (McKlain, Egotrip, T&J, Targhan, mr_lou, etc) to put their own original style to existing musics. I'm sure they would be happy enough to do so; I'm just a reworker and have no actual talent, those guys are the real stars of the CPC and this would be a great way of showcasing their talents to a wider audience. Perhaps.

As for the other Amiga titles; I'll grab what I can from ExoticA and see what I can do.

Awesome mate, expect a special feature on my site if you do a Sound of Indie Retro News disk  8)

Btw which creator name do you prefer I use as the creator of this album or any future releases?

Neil79

Any chance of a Christmas album?

The Amiga and C64 can't have all the fun :)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Neil79 on 09:42, 14 November 14
Any chance of a Christmas album?
There might be an announcement (of sorts) at ReSeT#18 concerning such a thing... (oooh, the suspense, it kills!)

(EXCLAIMER: Trust me, it's not worth waiting for... it's just me saying that we might be finished for Christmas... but it will be a fecking doosey as it will consist of all 70+ tunes I have left to release! Also, expect a CPC release of the BILL'S TOMATO GAME .yms as well at some point this month-ish!)

mr_lou

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 19:35, 14 November 14it will consist of all 70+ tunes I have left to release!

You should save some of the tunes you've made, for the future when game-developers comes asking for music for their games.

tastefulmrship

Real world "intricasies" have halted almost all of my CPC activity (which includes dusting the olde girl; she's almost as grey as I am, now! ^_^) but here's something I did before Christmas and it was supposed to evolve into a HNY thing, but I just never got around to doing anything with it.

I'm a huge fan of Benn Daglish, but I always thought his version of David Whittaker's EERIE FOREST was disappointing. I presume he ran out of memory space or frame-time, but I felt it let the ambience of the game down slighty... especially after the brilliant TITLE TUNE.
So, I thought I'd give it a go with my limited ability and STarkos instruments.

I give you... EERIE FOREST from SHADOW OF THE BEAST by David Whittaker (using the .mod version by Jogeir Liljedahl, downloaded from Amiga Mod Preservation). Converted, as always, by SuTeKH/Epyteor.

andycadley

Very cool, the music was probably the only decent thing about SotB, so a good CPC rendition is definitely worthwhile.