Play2CPC is an evolution of the Plus2CPC adapter which includes new major features:
- Extra audio capabilities
- Sound mix into the CPC speaker or stereo audio jack
- Full Amstrad Plus ROM decoding
- Extra on-board V-ROM for amazing new AAA games
- General purpose programmable raster interrupt
- Compatible with standard Amstrad cartridges and new extended formats
- 100% compatible with C4CPC
- Support for RW cartridges to save/update games, scores and settings
- Boot switch and reset button commodities
The C4CPC can already be used on the Plus2CPC and Play2CPC cartridge adapters.
The Play2CPC allows to program a compatible blank cartridge from the CPC. No USB plug.
PlayCity: Partially compatible
The Play2CPC offers 3 more audio channels onboard, as opposed to the PlayCity which offers 6 more audio channels onboard. The few programs using 9ch AY will be not replayed, because it was not on the PlayCity base spec.
The Play2CPC does not have a CTC chip, as opposed to the PlayCity which includes a CTC chip. The Play2CPC use the default configuration of most of the PlayCity programs, like ALCON 2020.
Dandanator: Not compatible
It is not compatible, because the Play2CPC use Amstrad standard ROM paging and cartridge for new CPC games, while the Dandanator use GameBoy Advance cartridge with a custom ROM paging through Z80 opcodes for new Speccy ports.
GX4000: Compatible with cartridges but not the device
The Play2CPC is not usable on the GX4000 because the GX4000 does not have an expansion port.
The device itself must be connected to a computer, but the cartridges you write can be later used on a GX4000.
You can use the &F888/&F988 audio ports and the CRTC cursor registers to program the raster interruption located at &0066. Both works on PlayCity and Play2CPC.